How do you guys deal with road rage, mentally? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

How do you guys deal with road rage, mentally?

Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
TECH Apprentice

Default How do you guys deal with road rage, mentally?

I didn't have it so bad when I was younger. I didn't even have it while driving my 1997 Firebird, 1995 Camaro Z28, or the first year of owning this 1998 TransAm WS6.

But recently, I feel like the world is out to get me. Three lanes of traffic, and all three people go 5-10MPH under the speed limit... either really old, or texting, or middle aged woman. Not one breaks a carlength apart away for me to slip through the cracks, and I hate having to drive my car like it's a ricer bike, because that puts a lot of people in danger. It's like at least go the damn speed limit. I don't want anyone to get hurt, but my middle finger has been being used more the older I get, and I thought it would be the reverse (I should be more mature than this.) I feel like people are intentionally trapping me in their 3-way clusterfuck even if I'm not riding their ***.

Or people that cut me off while I'm going 55-60MPH (legally) and it's like, you trust my brakes and reaction time more than I do, because you should NOT be jumping into incoming traffic like that, especially with kids. I didn't flick her off because of the kids in her car, but I gave a couple honks, that I hope translated into "please understand momentum and the weight of two vehicles". Seriously, the people in this state are the absolute worst drivers ever, and now I've "solved the problem" by becoming an ******* myself.
SouthernRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Douchebag On The Tree

It doesn't bother me because I drive like an old man now (31 years old) and when people get mad at me I just don't have the same teenage "I'll kill you mother ******!" reaction. I usually just wave or blow a kiss. The douche bros really get thrown off by the kiss.
justin455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic

I use my horn regularly and keep dash cam rolling. Wish the police would start utilizing the driving too slow statute more here. Think they've only given out about 300 tickets so far, but with the people I see every day holding up traffic they could give out 300 of those in a week.
Jon5212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
TECH Junkie

I cuss a lot.

When I realize someone is driving like an absolute fucktard because they are texting/playing on their phone, the real rage (extra cussing) begins. Everyone carries a gun here in Texas, so it's not too wise to go much further than mouthing a few cuss words or shaking your head with a "Are you retarded?" look on your face.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

You guys have the problem of people driving too slow?!?!? WTF? I'm about 30 miles north of New York City and holy mother of God. If you're doing 65 - speed limit is 55 here mind you - you are holding up traffic. People with a 12 foot car will pull in front of you if there is literally 13 ft between you and the next car. While doing 75mph. All day long, every day. This place is crazy and I do not exaggerate, I see/pass at least one accident EVERY SINGLE DAY on my way to work. And if it rains? Forget about it. Mother ******* are flinging themselves off the road. And I too drive like an old man now. Have for years. But as soon as I pull into one of the right lanes...BAM! Dude pops up in front of me doing 41mph. Never fails. Pull back left after the 5 minutes it takes for people to stop passing you and there is a line of people up your ***. Like 3 feet from your bumper. So I usually keep it around 65 and try not to get run off the road.

But to answer your question, I have really been trying to keep my cool. It is what it is and getting irate isn't going to change anything. All it does is affect you negatively, does nothing to the other drivers. I tell myself this. I TRY to tell myself this anyway.

Having lived and worked in NYC - hahaaa!!! That's a whole different fng story. F NYS and NYC.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic

Heh, my last instance was a truck who wouldn't pick a speed. I'm in my box truck, pass him going up hill, im on cruise control. He passes me then slows down, I pass him again. Then he goes to pass me and basically does the same speed as me, blocking traffic in the left lane, for a mile. Finally I let him pass, then once again he slows down, I go to pass and get 3/4 around him then he matches my maxed out speed of 71mph. For a mile I'm thinking what the ****, then I hit the brakes roll down the window and just start yelling at him like "pick a ******* speed you stupid ****!".

I've found that mentally it's best to get it out of your system befor you explode on the wrong person who really didn't do anything wrong. Take it out on the ******* the instant they do it.
trilkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
Launching!

Usually involves me cussing at people and flipping them the bird.

I did see the greatest thing ever last month while coming back to Dallas from Austin on I-35. I-35 has the biggest collection idiot drivers that I have ever seen. Had a minivan that would SLAM on his brakes at the top of every hill or bridge that he couldn't see the other side of. That particular stretch is very hilly, so that got old fast. At the same time, there was a dodge charger that was driving like a complete *******, tailgating, cutting people off, etc.

Charger rear ended the minivan. No one was hurt, but they got to sit on the side of the road in the burning heat for driving like ********.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Oh yea, I 35 is a *****. I got to be on that bitch the two big travel weekends of the year....spring break. Texans are scared shitless of those hills that you can't see over, they think a wall is on the other side and it's and endless roller coaster of speeding up and slowing down. Took twice as long to go from San Antonio to dallas. Something like 6-7 hours?

Oh btw, I've came to the conclusion that if it turns into a fist fight so be it. Had a dump truck in the left lane swerve into the car ahead of me and just miss it. Car sped up and passed and I was next, I go to pass and he swerves into me. I keep going and he gives me the air horn so I give him the finger. Then he slams on the brakes as his exit ramp THREE lanes to the right goes by. So it's my fault you can't use a turn signal, or do a pretrip to make sure it works, and can't be in the correct lane? It's my fault??? You give me the air horn? The **** I put up with is unbelievable.

Last edited by trilkb; 08-24-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic

JC316 - That's awesome^^^^^^

Reminds me....... There is a small auto shop down the road from my house. A customer in a like 2005 Honda pulls out and cuts the **** out of me off. Just pulls out while I'm already there. I slam on my brakes, in time, and blare my horn. So he flips me the bird out of the window. I see him looking down at his phone and maybe 15 seconds later he veers off of the road and slams into 10 inch tall curb. I can see his wheels bent wrong, all sorts of suspension **** snapped. He was fine, but I of course slow down and give a couple of soft beeps and wave at him while I drive by. Felt so awesome. Every 1 out of 1,000 times S works out like it should I guess.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
You guys have the problem of people driving too slow?!?!? WTF? I'm about 30 miles north of New York City and holy mother of God. If you're doing 65 - speed limit is 55 here mind you - you are holding up traffic. People with a 12 foot car will pull in front of you if there is literally 13 ft between you and the next car. While doing 75mph. All day long, every day. This place is crazy and I do not exaggerate, I see/pass at least one accident EVERY SINGLE DAY on my way to work. And if it rains? Forget about it. Mother ******* are flinging themselves off the road. And I too drive like an old man now. Have for years. But as soon as I pull into one of the right lanes...BAM! Dude pops up in front of me doing 41mph. Never fails. Pull back left after the 5 minutes it takes for people to stop passing you and there is a line of people up your ***. Like 3 feet from your bumper. So I usually keep it around 65 and try not to get run off the road.

But to answer your question, I have really been trying to keep my cool. It is what it is and getting irate isn't going to change anything. All it does is affect you negatively, does nothing to the other drivers. I tell myself this. I TRY to tell myself this anyway.

Having lived and worked in NYC - hahaaa!!! That's a whole different fng story. F NYS and NYC.
This sounds a lot like LA. Especially the part about people squeezing their cars anywhere at a high speed. Every time my parents visit my mom freaks out when somebody even mildly cuts me off, I'm just used to it now lol.
'WHEELS' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #11
Teching In

In Southern Cali traffic is normal, it's normally bumper to bumper. I shake my head when there are 3 to 5 cars accident on the side of the road, really, how could you get into an accident specially that amount of cars when it's bumper to bumper traffic? Only one answer, none of them are paying attention.

To the OP I feel your frustration I just shake my head every time it happens. You never know what the other person is carrying in the car. People are crazy now a days.
Annunaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post

But to answer your question, I have really been trying to keep my cool. It is what it is and getting irate isn't going to change anything. All it does is affect you negatively, does nothing to the other drivers.

That is how they drive here as well. The worst is when they jump in front of you, almost crash you, then after 45 seconds decide they didn't want to be there anyways and swap back to where they were. After almost crashing into me, you do that ****? I had to chase a guy down the other day and throw a whole cup of ice cubes at his new range rover, one at a time. Its hard to throw ice cubes at 80mph they don't go very far. Hes lucky I had ice because usually all I have is tools to throw. Kinda want to mount a paint ball apparatus to the front of my car.
kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #13
Staging Lane

You should see how bad it is over here in Los Angeles. Everyone rides your *** in traffic and on hills. The worst part being nobody uses turn signals down here and 80% of drivers are on their phones taking selfies or playing Pokemon Go. I have to drive like a grandma just to keep clear of all the idiots on the road
INFERNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
That is how they drive here as well. The worst is when they jump in front of you, almost crash you, then after 45 seconds decide they didn't want to be there anyways and swap back to where they were. After almost crashing into me, you do that ****? I had to chase a guy down the other day and throw a whole cup of ice cubes at his new range rover, one at a time. Its hard to throw ice cubes at 80mph they don't go very far. Hes lucky I had ice because usually all I have is tools to throw. Kinda want to mount a paint ball apparatus to the front of my car.
I have found it to be hilarious thinking about chucking a bottle of water out my window at them, just nail them or their car and it explodes and they are left thinking wtf just happened.

I honked at a person who pulled back into 65 mph traffic from the shoulder and nearly caused me to rear end them. They chased me down and started throwing change at my car, then I hit the brakes hard and they sped off, then they stopped in the middle of the highway and put it in reverse then changed their mind and pulled off, did about 30 and waited for me to catch up. It was pretty intense and 100% their own stupidity.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #15
On The Tree

I used to get really worked up by people's stupidity on the road, but I've started to just ignore most of it anymore. My commute is 70 miles round trip on I-84 in NY, and there is so much BS out there everyday it's not worth getting stressed over every *******.
That said, I still like to screw with the douche bags trying to fly up the right lane and squeeze their way into a tiny hole in the left lane. Or have someone riding my bumper in morning traffic and flip on the taillights and watch them nosedive . It's those little things that make my drive more satisfying
Z28 6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:34 AM   #16
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Oh yea, I 35 is a *****. I got to be on that bitch the two big travel weekends of the year....spring break. Texans are scared shitless of those hills that you can't see over, they think a wall is on the other side and it's and endless roller coaster of speeding up and slowing down. Took twice as long to go from San Antonio to dallas. Something like 6-7 hours?
It's just something about I35 that turns drivers into idiots. Usually when traffic slows down up in dallas there is a reason for it. A wreck, a stoplight backed up, etc. I35 just stops for no damned reason. There are other highways in Texas that do it too, Highway 64 going to Tyler and 205 headed to rockwall.

Downtown dallas is hell on earth right now for traffic, they are doing major construction on it. Honest to god, it took me an hour to get 3 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
JC316 - That's awesome^^^^^^

Reminds me....... There is a small auto shop down the road from my house. A customer in a like 2005 Honda pulls out and cuts the **** out of me off. Just pulls out while I'm already there. I slam on my brakes, in time, and blare my horn. So he flips me the bird out of the window. I see him looking down at his phone and maybe 15 seconds later he veers off of the road and slams into 10 inch tall curb. I can see his wheels bent wrong, all sorts of suspension **** snapped. He was fine, but I of course slow down and give a couple of soft beeps and wave at him while I drive by. Felt so awesome. Every 1 out of 1,000 times S works out like it should I guess.
Oh yeah, it was the high point of my day. Love hearing stories like yours.

That same day, I was cruising along at 85MPH in the left lane, passing people in the right lane. Truck damned near took the front end off from my WS6 and started brake checking me. He was waving his arms like a ******* wind dancer in a hurricane and pointing at me to get over into the much slower right lane. He got the old one fingered salute.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #17
TECH Resident

South Florida is a real mess now also. Specially with all the tourist and snowbirds who have no hurry in where they are going or don't know where they are. Also they bring a lot of the bad habits from their states here, merging or getting in front of you and slowing down, cutting people off, double parking, going slowly in the left lane. Twenty years ago it was pretty decent to drive around here. Now its a huge PITA. The problem down here is that gun laws are lax, so you never know who is carrying and I swear I think the sun bakes peoples brains. So I would never take a chance to get into a confrontation but I do curse a lot in my car.
November is around the corner which means people from Quebec will be coming soon. The population in my city jumps by about 30-40k from November to April. They are some of the rudest , most obnoxious, cheapest and self centered people I have ever met.
30thanniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #18
myk
TECH Fanatic

The bimbo that just cut you off is someone's sister, wife, mother, cousin, girlfriend, niece, etc, etc. everyone makes mistakes and it isn't worth endangering anyone's lives or even stressing about the matter beyond the moment that it happens...
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
11 Second Club

Mostly just crank some metal and if someone does something really stupid they might get a "wtf are you doing?" gesture or a middle finger.

Try my best to not give a **** and go on with my day...could always be worse.

Granted if someone's idiot behavior led me to be in an accident with them I wouldn't be so calm.
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #20
TECH Apprentice

Either this lady yesterday was clueless, or trolling me hard. I'm just heading up boring US31 through nowhere Indiana with my cruise set, come up behind a new jeep cherokee and I politely switch lanes and make a safe pass, settling back into the right lane. Not a minute later here comes this Jeep back up and around me and settles in about 30 yards ahead of me. I just think this braindead hag finally woke up from her nap and decided she had to get somewhere. Not 30 seconds later, I'm reeling in the distance between us, and move back into the passing lane to go back around her. Again I have not touched the gas pedal or adjusted my cruise for 20 miles on this stretch of highway. I get right beside her, and she finally figures out how to keep an even pace. We stay door to door for probably a mile, and I am just thinking about what a piece of **** this lady is. I finally bump it up another mile or two an hour and overtake her and drop my speed back down to where I had been set. Between 30 seconds and a minute later, here she comes barreling by me about 10mph faster than the I'm going and I just watch her ride off into the sunset in the left lane. The whole time we were side by side I would look over and she is just death gripping 10 and 2 with her head locked forward. I just don't understand how people can't figure out cruise control.

*Edit... how do I deal with it? Just cussing, and picturing in my head all cars being bumper cars and just sideswiping the **** out of people.
BlackonBlackTA is offline   Reply With Quote