Jeep Thread - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Jeep Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Launching!

Default Jeep Thread

I recent added another project to my list as if the Bug didn't already take up my extra time and money... But I felt the need for an extra vehicle and something I can take up in to the mountains. I live right at the base of the mountains so the closest trail is right at the top of my street (about 1/16 of a mile). Makes it very convenient. I missed my off-roading days and now I can do it again!

So I got a 99 Cherokee this time around. This is now the 4th Cherokee I have owned. My last Jeep was a Grand Cherokee which I sold about a year ago. This one is a manual 5-speed 2wd. Yes I said 2wd. But not for long. I have already purchased pretty much everything to make it 4wd. I decided to keep it a manual as well. It is just so hard to find a clean 4wd that I had to go 2wd. I got one that is in ok condition. Clean body besides the front which was an easy fix. Carpet and seats were nasty. The underside is spotless like it has never been off road (thats the hard part to find in a 4wd). So over the past few weeks I have been "restoring" it. It is starting to look like a new vehicle again! The lift will come after I am done making it new again.

Name:  20161223_150338_zpswekm4tdf.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  196.6 KB

Name:  20161223_143637_zpsqhq6xyjh.jpg
Size:  119.9 KB

New seats and carpet installed. I also had to put a new front end on it. The PO decided to rear end someone in it. Still need to install the stereo and finish putting back together the interior. Lots more to go but its a good start.

So lets see what kind of Jeeps you guys have and what you have done to them!
70 Bug Mid Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Launching!

Here are some of my previous Jeeps.

2003 Grand Cherokee V8

Name:  20150427_192205_zps2jpavfsu.jpg
Size:  173.5 KB

1998 Cherokee

Name:  FB_IMG_1481064050934_zpsyzfl7xts.jpg
Size:  77.2 KB

I will have to fire up my other computer and pull some older pictures off of it.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Launching!

No other Jeep people on here I take it? Well I got some good progress on mine done. It is pretty much ready to go now. Just need 1 more part and it is officially 4wd!

Name:  20170121_164125_zpswa4gfmow.jpg
Size:  168.5 KB
Old 02-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
mcG
TECH Resident

not a "traditional" jeep, but my wife drives a '12 compass and loves it. it's sunburst orange and looks like a baby GC.
mcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
Teching In

Nice ! Hopefully you wont replace this with a prius
whykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcG View Post
not a "traditional" jeep, but my wife drives a '12 compass and loves it. it's sunburst orange and looks like a baby GC.
Nothing wrong with that. Its still a Jeep! Cant say I have seen an orange one in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whykay View Post
Nice ! Hopefully you wont replace this with a prius
Too late. Got one a few months ago. Well its the Lexus version of the Prius. I dont drive it though. I leave that to the other half. Not my style.

Name:  20160905_140649_zps6whw2xyb.jpg
Size:  166.5 KB
Old 02-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
TECH Regular

Nice Cherokee. I've had a few over the years. Still own a 92 yj and a 12 jk.

I've found jeeps to be the most fun vehicle I have ever owned.
Jay-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 AM   #8
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Bug Mid Engine View Post
Nothing wrong with that. Its still a Jeep! Cant say I have seen an orange one in person.

Too late. Got one a few months ago. Well its the Lexus version of the Prius. I dont drive it though. I leave that to the other half. Not my style.

Oh dang! you got me!
Its nice looking though, cant go wrong with a lexus anyway. Whats the MPG like? I know the prius C gets around 55 mpg combined city and hwy.
whykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #9
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whykay View Post
Oh dang! you got me!
Its nice looking though, cant go wrong with a lexus anyway. Whats the MPG like? I know the prius C gets around 55 mpg combined city and hwy.
Haha sorry. It happens. For some reason it was her dream car (besides a gtr) so I couldnt say no. She says she gets 42 mpg. Mostly highway miles. Its got too many buttons and ***** for me. I get lost on how to make things work. Im more of a simple, bare bones vehicle person. None of the vehicles I drive even have power seats...
Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Bug Mid Engine
Haha sorry. It happens. For some reason it was her dream car (besides a gtr) so I couldnt say no. She says she gets 42 mpg. Mostly highway miles. Its got too many buttons and ***** for me. I get lost on how to make things work. Im more of a simple, bare bones vehicle person. None of the vehicles I drive even have power seats...
That's a nice XJ. How's the handling on that Lexus? Does the F-sport actually handle decent?
'WHEELS' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'WHEELS' View Post
That's a nice XJ. How's the handling on that Lexus? Does the F-sport actually handle decent?
Thanks! Lots of work to get it looking good again. Was pretty beat when I got it.

The Lexus handles decent. The F Sport package is definitely a stiffer ride then the standard model and well worth it. It sits a little lower and has bigger wheels. I really haven't driven the car much so I cant really say how well it handles. But sitting in the passengers seat with a crazy driver, it feels pretty planted. I am trying to get her to take it to the next auto-x event with me. We will see.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-P View Post
Nice Cherokee. I've had a few over the years. Still own a 92 yj and a 12 jk.

I've found jeeps to be the most fun vehicle I have ever owned.
Lets see them! And I agree. Jeeps are a blast. Might not be fast but you can go pretty much anywhere.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Bug Mid Engine
Thanks! Lots of work to get it looking good again. Was pretty beat when I got it.

The Lexus handles decent. The F Sport package is definitely a stiffer ride then the standard model and well worth it. It sits a little lower and has bigger wheels. I really haven't driven the car much so I cant really say how well it handles. But sitting in the passengers seat with a crazy driver, it feels pretty planted. I am trying to get her to take it to the next auto-x event with me. We will see.
Lol! That could be interesting. I may have to go test drive one, I like how they look and I do about 35k miles per year so I don't mind the Prius drivetrain, reliable and low maintenance.

Here's my previous TJ, which I owned for about 5 years. was fun to drive but it was approaching 250k miles and wasn't practical at all for my current driving situation. I sold it for a Prius
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Thread-photo980.jpg   Jeep Thread-photo685.jpg  
'WHEELS' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #14
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'WHEELS' View Post
Lol! That could be interesting. I may have to go test drive one, I like how they look and I do about 35k miles per year so I don't mind the Prius drivetrain, reliable and low maintenance.

Here's my previous TJ, which I owned for about 5 years. was fun to drive but it was approaching 250k miles and wasn't practical at all for my current driving situation. I sold it for a Prius
Haha nice. Dont let WhyKay find out! But ya, overall I like it. We have only had it a few months so far. The Lexus dealer itself is great. They included all maintenance for the first 3 years, will wash it once a week for free and give you food and drinks every time you go there. Very please with the service so far (cant say the same about the Nissan dealer). What I didn't like, every CT on the lot was pretty much fully loaded. So we didnt really have any choice but to get a fully loaded one. That meaning it was like $10k over a base model price. So just be warned, they dont come cheap.

Nice TJ too. My dad had one like that years ago that I would always steal and go hit the trails. Now I dont have to haha.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
Launching!

Took the Jeep out over the weekend to some trails behind my house. First real adventure out since completing the 4wd conversion. I let my buddy drive it so I could get some pictures. No issues so far!