Question About Buying from the Classifieds - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Question About Buying from the Classifieds

Old 02-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
On The Tree

Default Question About Buying from the Classifieds

I was wondering which credit cards purchase protection covers used car parts? My amex gold says they don't. Trying to figure out what card to use just incase the sellers ships me an empty box. Also don't know if this is the right section for this post. Thanks
SSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

use paypal.
usnfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
On The Tree

I was planning on using PayPal, but just incase paypal failed me I'd like a credit card that can help
SSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
12 Second Club

assuming the part you are looking at is expensive ?

I have bought and sold many many parts on another forum and bought a few parts on here and have always used personal checks or postal money orders and have never had an issue.

The forum I have sold a lot on I am a moderator on and my feedback is flawless , I have had people buy nearly $1500 worth of parts this way and boy I don't think I would do that but it goes back to feedback on a big purchase if the seller has none and you cant do it in person then I don't blame you.

I just bought a headlight on here $65 shipped I ok'ed use of a personal check with the seller and told him not to ship until it had cleared on his end , just got tracking numbers lol

I have seen a few bad deals over the years but for the most part car guys aren't looking to screw other forum members watch out for low post counts or negative feedback. I have seen a few cases where paypal screwed a seller based on mis information from the buyer so I have never accepted it.
murphinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
11 Second Club

The chances of paypal siding with the seller rather than you are insanely slim unless you send the money as a "gift" for friends/family.

It's so bad I won't even sell online anymore for fear of getting screwed out of my parts and my money. I sell in person or just keep the junk.
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
TECH Resident

I usually just check the post count and join date. I have bought and sold soo much junk on here over the years solely using paypal.
smg267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
TECH Addict

100% use paypal or meet the buyer / seller in person if they live a reasonable distance to you. I've bought and sold lots of things here over the years and never had an issue. Just be mindful of you you do business with and look into their history.
mjs1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
11 Second Club

I did buy some "Comp 918" springs on here back when I first joined. Didn't get to install them for a few months and found out from my head guy they were stock springs in a Comp box. Seller basically told me tough luck he got them used and had no way to know. A sponsor sold me some PAC springs for a deal when he saw my post at least.

Also traded engine accessories with a guy since my engine had fbody stuff and the corvette stuff fit better. Had my dad box and ship it including all the bolts in a ziplock taped to one of the brackets (except the crank pulley bolt since it was torque to yield trash). I got all the corvette stuff but the boxes were rough and I was missing the water pump. He claimed all the bolts were missing from his and 2 pulleys were damaged. I offered to replace the damaged parts if he shipped my water pump even though neither of us shipped insured to reduce costs but he didn't want that...he wanted to trade back. Then he said something odd about really needing the bolts, "especially the crank bolt". Started really feeling like I was about to get scammed so I just let him make his negative trader post on here and bought a new water pump.
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote