Truck drivers in here . . . Been thinking of getting a CDL - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Truck drivers in here . . . Been thinking of getting a CDL

Old 02-22-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Default Truck drivers in here . . . Been thinking of getting a CDL

Not interested in doing over the road trucking, where you are gone for a week at a time and live in your truck.

Been thinking about getting my CDL though and driving a big truck. Wanting a job with somewhat regular hours, I don't care if its hauling trash, delivering building supplies, driving a dump truck, hauling concrete, doing local deliveries, just something where I can go back home every night.

I consider 40k a year with great benefits to be the minimum for me to consider a career in trucking.

Now granted as I get more experience in the years ahead I have no problem hauling oversized loads, hauling fuel, hauling hazardous if it pays right.

Just wanting to hear from anybody that's ever driven a big truck what they think about it.
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 AM   #2
On The Tree

I know trilkb drives some sort of big truck on a local level. I haven't seen him around the lounge in a while though.
'WHEELS' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
11 Second Club

I'm home everyday (300mi radius).. I'm an owner operator that's leased on to a company.. I make about $2000-$2500 a week before fuel.. Just look for anything that says "local or regional" if you wanna be home everyday.. "Over the road" drivers are gonna be out for days or even weeks from home.. Some love it some don't..
NewOrleansLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic

I've been driving for 16 years commercially (local), you can make a pretty decent living.....but not at first in most cases. The reason is, most good paying companies want a minimum of 2 years experience before they even look at you. And as for the regular hours piece, usually in trucking....you stay till the job is done.
Game ova is offline   Reply With Quote