Pondering the next car - LS1TECH

Pondering the next car

Old 03-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Default Pondering the next car

Wow, been a long time since I've posted on here but I do lurk every once in awhile. Lots have changed in the past 5 years. But I'm getting the itch again and could use help figuring out the next car.

Preference: Manual trans and able to hang with lightly modded ZO6's, ZL1's, 5.0's, SRT8's, etc. $6k to $14k range. Will be driven 50% of the time. TA 4th gens and Vettes have always been my preference. But also contemplating everything... Mustangs, GTO, CTS-V or STS, G8 GT, Cummins or Duramax, etc.

Missed opportunity... had a chance to buy a black 4th gen TA roller for little money. But passed on it after realizing I'd have spent 12k to build it the way I'd want. Excluding labor.

What would you get?
candlelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
TECH Junkie

Maybe a modded TA at the top of your budget?
A clean *** Fox Body Mustang with heads/cam/intake/nitrous or blower? (also at the top of your budget)
Modded 86-87 Turbo Regal (also at the top of your budget)
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post
Maybe a modded TA at the top of your budget?
A clean *** Fox Body Mustang with heads/cam/intake/nitrous or blower? (also at the top of your budget)
Modded 86-87 Turbo Regal (also at the top of your budget)
Thanks for the response. For me I'd have to rule out 80's and early 90's cars, just weren't much of a fan of their designs.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlelit View Post
Thanks for the response. For me I'd have to rule out 80's and early 90's cars, just weren't much of a fan of their designs.

That's a good reason to rule them out, but remember, the investment would probably pay off in the long run. Good luck with your search.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
mcG
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlelit View Post
Wow, been a long time since I've posted on here but I do lurk every once in awhile. Lots have changed in the past 5 years. But I'm getting the itch again and could use help figuring out the next car.

Preference: Manual trans and able to hang with lightly modded ZO6's, ZL1's, 5.0's, SRT8's, etc. $6k to $14k range. Will be driven 50% of the time. TA 4th gens and Vettes have always been my preference. But also contemplating everything... Mustangs, GTO, CTS-V or STS, G8 GT, Cummins or Duramax, etc.

Missed opportunity... had a chance to buy a black 4th gen TA roller for little money. But passed on it after realizing I'd have spent 12k to build it the way I'd want. Excluding labor.

What would you get?
where are you located? i'm planning on selling my 02 t/a soon. southern NJ.
mcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
11 Second Club

Do you own any V8 powered GM vehicle at the moment?
NewOrleansLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
Teching In

if youre looking for a 4th gen T/A id search around for a H/C/I and throw some nitrous to it and you will be able to put lengths on the cars you mentioned for a good bang for your buck along with the ability to drive it normal with the system not armed I also own a 06 cummins that makes 800hp 1500ft lb but that's got quite a bit of money thrown at it. hope this helps a bit
lssloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #8

I agree with ROSS - a modded TA is your best route given the budget you posted.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Douchebag On The Tree

Modded LS1 Fbody is really your only choice given your budget and criteria. Mustangs in the price range are gonna be slow 2Vs, stock 3Vs, stock 4Vs, and modded to hell foxes which just aren't great cars. Unless you're building a primarily drag car, I'd look away from them.
CTS-V and GTO are gonna be mostly stock and pushing 100k miles in your price range. Same with the G8 GT which only comes in automatic.
You can get a clean C5 for that, but it will be stock. A C4 would be ok, but a nicely modded one seems like it might be harder to find.
Diesel trucks are an interesting thought, but you're still gonna be at the top of your range for a decent example. No idea how modded ones get valued. They can make amazing power, but it's expensive as **** to mod them yourself and you have to remember that power still has to push a **** ton of truck around.
justin455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
Teching In

MOdded LS1 f-body with that budget. Maybe the right big turbo S2k or MS6 or MS3. A turbo Miata would be fun too
FlyinOn4Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #11
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post
That's a good reason to rule them out, but remember, the investment would probably pay off in the long run. Good luck with your search.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcG View Post
where are you located? i'm planning on selling my 02 t/a soon. southern NJ.
I'm in Kansas. I don't mind a one way airline ticket and a cruise, but may be a few months out from buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1 View Post
Do you own any V8 powered GM vehicle at the moment?
Haven't owned one in 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lssloth View Post
if youre looking for a 4th gen T/A id search around for a H/C/I and throw some nitrous to it and you will be able to put lengths on the cars you mentioned for a good bang for your buck along with the ability to drive it normal with the system not armed I also own a 06 cummins that makes 800hp 1500ft lb but that's got quite a bit of money thrown at it. hope this helps a bit
I'll keep that in mind. Will stay away from nitrous though without a motor built for it. I can imagine you have thousands into your Cummins. Sounds like a sweet truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
I agree with ROSS - a modded TA is your best route given the budget you posted.
Thanks for the input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin455 View Post
Modded LS1 Fbody is really your only choice given your budget and criteria. Mustangs in the price range are gonna be slow 2Vs, stock 3Vs, stock 4Vs, and modded to hell foxes which just aren't great cars. Unless you're building a primarily drag car, I'd look away from them.
CTS-V and GTO are gonna be mostly stock and pushing 100k miles in your price range. Same with the G8 GT which only comes in automatic.
You can get a clean C5 for that, but it will be stock. A C4 would be ok, but a nicely modded one seems like it might be harder to find.
Diesel trucks are an interesting thought, but you're still gonna be at the top of your range for a decent example. No idea how modded ones get valued. They can make amazing power, but it's expensive as **** to mod them yourself and you have to remember that power still has to push a **** ton of truck around.
Very informative post, thank you. Did not know all G8 GT's came with autos.

One thing that helps my budget is I don't have a requirement for the vehicle to have under 100k on the odometer. Would prefer one that's had a 6.0 drop-in or a rebuilt motor with the higher mileage cars.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #12
10 Second Club

Save money to get at least a C5Z.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #13
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
Save money to get at least a C5Z.
I was going to post something along these lines. You can get a 100k C5Z for pretty cheap in my area.
99Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Teching In

My votes for puttin it all in an fbody. But man, 14k is about what I come out to on my build but I still don't think I'll be able to keep up with SRTs or 5ohs and the like. Mines more all around and not for just power though so that might be it.
TheUrbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #15
Launching!

I'm not a fan of putting chemical induction in my baby either, but I heard you can do really low levels of nitrous above 3800RPM on a stock LS1 without hurting a thing. Don't quote me on that, though.
SouthernRex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #16
TECH Fanatic

I think I've decided on either a TA or non-Z FRC. Since I'd mod it or buy one modded, the ZO6 upgrades and price would be irrelevant. I just don't know if I want to spend as little as possibly and get a well-cared-for higher mileage TA or spend a few thousand more on a FRC. Or don't buy one at all and send the money toward IRA, which isn't loaded yet at the age of 30.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #17
TECH Junkie

Clean c5 and blower. Save and spend money to do it right.
bad_408_vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #18
Teching In

I was about to get vette to swap my motor into until I found out I'd have to blow half your budget on the rear end swap.

What's the main purpose of the car, stoplight drags? Street/strip? AutoX? You didn't say.
GIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #19
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_408_vert View Post
Clean c5 and blower. Save and spend money to do it right.
Yeppers. At the very least get a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
I was about to get vette to swap my motor into until I found out I'd have to blow half your budget on the rear end swap.

What's the main purpose of the car, stoplight drags? Street/strip? AutoX? You didn't say.
What read end swap?
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #20
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
Yeppers. At the very least get a C5

What read end swap?
The c5 diff is weak, I'd be sure to grenade that. C6 zo6 diff is stronger but $ and I still wouldn't be confident. The only thing left is a solid axle conversion.
GIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote