Bought a Lift! O boy! 4 post lift! - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Bought a Lift! O boy! 4 post lift!

Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
TECH Enthusiast

Default Bought a Lift! O boy! 4 post lift!

Well finally made a lift purchase. Plan is porsche on top and trans am on bottom. Primarilyfor storage purposes but also maintenance as well.
Last night I raised my garage door up for needed clearance for the front of the Porsche to tuck under it while door is open. Easy modification of the railway took care of this. Made 3 relief cuts on both sides and bent and welded to achieve the desired angle for more clearance.
Had to ad half turn to tension springs a little more and the door was balanced.

Eatinstang4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member

Excellent work
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man! lift should arrive this Thursday.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
12 Second Club

Lifts are amazing. Would hate to work without one now that I have been spoiled with one. Good luck with your new lift!
Mappinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
TECH Enthusiast

Finally finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a Lift! O boy! 4 post lift!-photo388.jpg   Bought a Lift! O boy! 4 post lift!-photo196.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 12:01 AM   #6
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life View Post
Finally finished.
Aren't you worried about your daily driver leaking oil all over your weekend toy of that gorgeous Trans Am? ... j/k lol

awesome work.. I personally have phobias of being underneath cars so lifts kind of...intimidate me.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #7
Launching!

Nice, ive been thinking about doing the same. How tall is your garage? Where did you get the lift from and how much?, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks
80/TA/LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
TECH Enthusiast

the garage is 9'5" tall. This is the lift i got, https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...car-park-8.htm
Old 04-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Aren't you worried about your daily driver leaking oil all over your weekend toy of that gorgeous Trans Am? ... j/k lol

awesome work.. I personally have phobias of being underneath cars so lifts kind of...intimidate me.
I've seen a couple fall off of lifts before first hand when I worked at a dealership.

Oh, sorry, that didn't help did it.

I like the drive on lifts like the kind he has. I feel much safer under them.
SouthernRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
TECH Fanatic

After doing my clutch on jack stands and nearly killing myself... no more

M4N14C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
TECH Regular

Nice! Buying a lift was the best tool investment I have ever made. I have a 2 post, but wouldnt mind also getting a 4 post for 2 car storage.
onebadbowtie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
On The Tree

Your a lucky man. I'm 1000% installing a lift when we move to our next home. I don't want to add one to my current house since I hate the suburbs and want to move away from everybody
99Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #13
12 Second Club

Cars don't fall off lifts unless improperly placed on them. I have put thousands of cars on lifts
Mappinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #14
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappinsj View Post
Cars don't fall off lifts unless improperly placed on them. I have put thousands of cars on lifts
Two cars fell off the same lift (with the round pegs) in the same month. I'm sure it was user error, but it made me very weary of that lift because both employees got fired. All the square pegs I never saw a problem for 4 years.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRex View Post
Two cars fell off the same lift (with the round pegs) in the same month. I'm sure it was user error, but it made me very weary of that lift because both employees got fired. All the square pegs I never saw a problem for 4 years.
Noone was hurt though right? I mean.. having 4,000 lbs fall near me out of the sudden I'd be HAPPY to walk out of there without a job.

What did the customers do? lol Bet they weren't happy.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #16
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Noone was hurt though right? I mean.. having 4,000 lbs fall near me out of the sudden I'd be HAPPY to walk out of there without a job.

What did the customers do? lol Bet they weren't happy.
I didn't interact with the customers, but I know the ENTIRE service they got done in the first place was free, all the replacement body/paint work was free, I had to detail the ever living **** out of them (beyond just blowby and our mess), and they got like a service voucher for the future. lol
Old 04-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #17
TECH Resident

Quote:
I didn't interact with the customers, but I know the ENTIRE service they got done in the first place was free, all the replacement body/paint work was free, I had to detail the ever living **** out of them (beyond just blowby and our mess), and they got like a service voucher for the future. lol
Ah so the customers insurance didn't need to get involved in that instance and the shop performed all the body work / repair work to their car? I was kind of thinking if a car fell off a lift it would most likely damage the frame and total it.

I've always wondered how that would play off if your car fell off the lift... unfortunately I've been around too many dishonest mechanics so right now there's literally only one shop in this entire city that I would dare take my cars to if it came to the point that I needed one.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:32 AM   #18
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Ah so the customers insurance didn't need to get involved in that instance and the shop performed all the body work / repair work to their car? I was kind of thinking if a car fell off a lift it would most likely damage the frame and total it.

I've always wondered how that would play off if your car fell off the lift... unfortunately I've been around too many dishonest mechanics so right now there's literally only one shop in this entire city that I would dare take my cars to if it came to the point that I needed one.
I don't actually know, but I don't think insurance was involved. As it fell (the primary of the two instances I remember), all the techs rushed to guide it down safely with the machine. I'm not sure how it worked financially, but we had one of the best body shops in the city (KIA and other non-GM companies would contract work to us) so yeah it was all done in house.

This was a Chevrolet dealership, though. It might be different if your car falls off the lift at "We Sell Motherfucking Alternators" off of MLK. lol
Old 04-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #19
TECH Resident

Quote:
I don't actually know, but I don't think insurance was involved. As it fell (the primary of the two instances I remember), all the techs rushed to guide it down safely with the machine. I'm not sure how it worked financially, but we had one of the best body shops in the city (KIA and other non-GM companies would contract work to us) so yeah it was all done in house.

This was a Chevrolet dealership, though. It might be different if your car falls off the lift at "We Sell Motherfucking Alternators" off of MLK. lol
LOL - Yeah I'd be on the phone with my insurance company before it even hit the ground if that were the case.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:51 AM   #20
On The Tree

I was a Nissan service lot attendant back in high school and also saw a car fall off the lift.. that **** is nuts. Not sure how they handled the repairs, but I think if it were my car I would not want my insurance involved and possibly raising my rates due to claims, especially when the dealer at fault has every capability of fixing it in-house on their dime
'WHEELS' is offline   Reply With Quote