Do you go out to eat too much? - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Do you go out to eat too much?

Old 03-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #21

My wife and I are both non-cooks, and now with a VERY clingy toddler, we don't even have time to try. At this point if I'm not bringing food home after work, we don't eat. I hate it. It costs a small fortune, but I honestly have no other options currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I BOGO a great deal. Spreads out the $$. Habit from when I was poor.
No shame in that route. The rich stay rich by finding deals and maximizing what they get for their money. As often as we eat out (as in, always), I make it a habit to go through all mail/newspapers/flyers looking for coupons.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #22
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'WHEELS' View Post
Yes I eat out many times per week. I also try and cook recipe's I see online that sound good, but it seems like every time I go to the store for ingredients I'm always spending $30-50 for that one meal anyways so it seems like a lose-lose situation for me.
This. You're not just paying for food. You are paying for all the prep work, table-side service, the actual meal, and clean up / dishwashing.

"I'd pay $9 at da Chili's for the same thing so instead, I got in mah car. Drove to the store. Spent 30 minutes getting chicken, pickin' out some greens, noodles, cheese, flower and milk, 5 minutes in line next to Bertha and 5 minutes out in the parking lot talkin' to ol' Jerry. Hadn't seen him in years. Drove back home, spent an hour and a half grillin' some chicken, preparing my mac n cheese and salad, ate my lackluster meal, washed dishes then went to bed. Mah grilled chicken and 2 sides only cost me $4 and 3 hours of time invested."

In before the "you gotta use coupons and buy the generic brand" comments.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #23
Launching!

The GF and I go out 4-5 nights a week, between eating out and groceries I'd say we spend ~1k a month on food.
sw07gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #24
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw07gt View Post
The GF and I go out 4-5 nights a week, between eating out and groceries I'd say we spend ~1k a month on food.
That's Robbery!!
Tuskyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #25
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78novacaine View Post
So you're only spending $6.65 a day on average eating out all of your meals? I have a very hard time buying that unless you are literally living off of dollar menus.

I eat a LOT of food, and total grocery bill for my gf and me is usually around $500/month, with little to no eating out on my part and very little on hers.
I have a trick as to how I do it as well, I was "thinking" of posting it in the lounge but I get the feeling people will think I'm sleezy. What I do specifically is go to Krogers and buy Gift Cards for all of the restaurants I intend on eating at between Pay Periods. The reason being is you get up to four times as many fuel points as you would buying normal grocery for equal value gift cards. I also purchase gift cards for gasoline (Shell or Racetrac as both have a rewards system). I PURCHASE about $300 a month worth of gift cards for food, but I only end up SPENDING about $200 leaving me with extra cards for a rainy day. Thats 600 fuel points just for the food alone, adding in the gasoline I purchase is another 200, plus my family contributes so I end up with $1.00 off per gallon of gas which I use to fill up with at the end of the month, sometimes putting me at less than $1 per gallon, I find it effective because these are things Im going to need to do anyway, may as well get compensate for it and given that with my current commute I generally only have to fill up twice a month (IF all I'm doing is going to and from work) then it costs me practically nothing to commute, just food.

..For food, I buy Chik-Fil-A, Chili's, Steak-n-Shake.. At Steak-n-Shake you can get relatively decent stuff for $4.00. Chili's, if you go during the lunch hour you can get away with a pretty good meal for $8.99 ...at Chik-Fil-A I usually spend about $7.00... I'm not doing anything physically intensive at the moment so I can get away with eating twice about twice a day and if its at Chili's then that will usually last me the whole day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuskyz28 View Post
What do you drive daily to work ?
2017 Camaro 1LT V6 - it weighs somewhere between 3,300 and 3,400lbs and has 2.77 rear axel gears, 8 gears and displacement on demand.. I have gotten up to 40 MPG (while trying) on the highway and as high as 30 MPG on the street so long as I can get the majority of the traffic lights green... but even driving normally Im averaging 26 MPG 100% street not trying to be efficient in the slightest. It's a night and day difference from my 5th Gen which could only do about 23 MPG at best on the street, although it managed 30 MPG without much issue on the highway.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #26
TECH Senior Member

I try to meal prep for the week.. but day 3-4 with food in the fridge doesnt taste so good...lol.

I usually only stick to chipotle, or In-N-out, or pizza for quick eats.

I think the trick is to prep/cook foods you enjoy eating...
TXZ28LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #27
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I have a trick as to how I do it as well, I was "thinking" of posting it in the lounge but I get the feeling people will think I'm sleezy. What I do specifically is go to Krogers and buy Gift Cards for all of the restaurants I intend on eating at between Pay Periods. The reason being is you get up to four times as many fuel points as you would buying normal grocery for equal value gift cards. I also purchase gift cards for gasoline (Shell or Racetrac as both have a rewards system). I PURCHASE about $300 a month worth of gift cards for food, but I only end up SPENDING about $200 leaving me with extra cards for a rainy day. Thats 600 fuel points just for the food alone, adding in the gasoline I purchase is another 200, plus my family contributes so I end up with $1.00 off per gallon of gas which I use to fill up with at the end of the month, sometimes putting me at less than $1 per gallon, I find it effective because these are things Im going to need to do anyway, may as well get compensate for it and given that with my current commute I generally only have to fill up twice a month (IF all I'm doing is going to and from work) then it costs me practically nothing to commute, just food.

..For food, I buy Chik-Fil-A, Chili's, Steak-n-Shake.. At Steak-n-Shake you can get relatively decent stuff for $4.00. Chili's, if you go during the lunch hour you can get away with a pretty good meal for $8.99 ...at Chik-Fil-A I usually spend about $7.00... I'm not doing anything physically intensive at the moment so I can get away with eating twice about twice a day and if its at Chili's then that will usually last me the whole day.
Steak-n-Shake @ $4.00 and Chik-Fil-A @ $7 = $11 a day if you eat twice, or $8.99/day for one meal at Chili's. That adds up to $300/month with a 50/50 split.

Either way, I consume approximately 3,000-3,500 calories a day at the moment, short of eating complete garbage there is no possible way I get that amount of food in for under $10-15/day.
78novacaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #28
Teching In

It's even harder when it takes a lot of food to fill you up. The number 1's just don't cut it anymore lol. I tend to focus on buying more groceries now instead of going out everyday to eat. Between the GF and I, we're lucky if the bill is under $25.

I tend to eat healthy as I work out at least 3-4 times a week, so I do eat a lot of chicken. I can spend $25 for my lunch for the week, but that doesn't include me coming home after work to eat. Then eat again.
Red4Mula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #29
TECH Junkie

For me, I bring lunch from home on work days.

Going out to eat on weekends isn't that bad until we both start ordering drinks. Sunday lunches get up to 100 easy because of 3 drinks each, so cut that back for health reasons too.
bad_408_vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 AM   #30
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_408_vert View Post
For me, I bring lunch from home on work days.

Going out to eat on weekends isn't that bad until we both start ordering drinks. Sunday lunches get up to 100 easy because of 3 drinks each, so cut that back for health reasons too.
From the looks of the weather up there, I hope you have some food in your fridge.
Game ova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:23 AM   #31
TECH Fanatic

The amount of money I've spent, and continue to spend eating out for every meal......I could win drag week rather handily if I were to stop.
Game ova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:48 AM   #32
TECH Addict

Where the fast food places or restaurants screw you over at is in the drinks. 2 dollars for a small drink and most of the time the drink is more ice than soda...so basically you just paid 2 - 4 dollars for a cup of ice.
Tuskyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #33
Teching In

Quote:
Where the fast food places or restaurants screw you over at is in the drinks. 2 dollars for a small drink and most of the time the drink is more ice than soda...so basically you just paid 2 - 4 dollars for a cup of ice.

That's the damn truth.
Red4Mula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #34
12 Second Club

Quote:
Well considering how bad and useless sodas are for you, think of it as them doing you a favor.
78novacaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #35
Village Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Honestly this is what I'm beginning to see as well, Cooking used to be cheaper but lately ingredients and food in general at the Grocery store has increased in price so much that there's almost no cost difference between cooking and eating out.
That may be true for a single person. You get 3+ in a family eating out and that **** adds up quick.
SS RRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #36
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR
That may be true for a single person. You get 3+ in a family eating out and that **** adds up quick.
This is true. For me, it's just my girlfriend and I so that may be why I usually don't see a difference between eating out and eating in.

Also, I've lost my interest in simple meals that COULD save money.. I just can't eat plain macaroni & cheese, spaghetti, ramen, grilled cheese etc anymore. There's too many delicious recipe's out there. Last night we made some grilled vegetable quesadillas with 3 kinds of cheese, mixed grilled vegetables, pesto, and sriracha hummus. I didn't buy the ingredients so I don't know how much it all cost but I imagine around $25 for that one meal that also took an hour to make.
'WHEELS' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #37
TECH Enthusiast

agree to an extent.

I made ratatouille yesterday. A complex dish. Had it at Macaroni Grill week before last. Mine was better. If you ever had home made ratatouille, well you know how awesome it is.

I ate plain oatmeal for breakfast when poor.($0.25 per bowl back then) Still enjoy a bowl of plain oatmeal and black coffee for breakfast now and then.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-15-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Felix C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #38
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUrbz View Post
Readin all this im feelin a bit like a douche. Is it the money is the problem or is everyone really health concious? Growin up poor i had to eat meals like it was the end of the world and thats all we had. Ramen noodles, sandwiches, breakfast for dinner, hell dad would make a giant pot of mac and cheese with hot dogs in it and thatd be dinner for the week.

once i was on my own i do not budget for food. I get what i want and what i feel like eating when ever the hell i please. Family budget for food is 600 a month (2 dogs, wife, kid, me). Its good to penny pinch but i lived that "just enough to sustain yourself" life and i wont go back.

I'm in the same boat as you. I grew up poor eating a lot of chicken leg quarters, rice, and lima beans. When my dad got a good pay check he would stock up the pantry and freezer to make sure we had enough food to eat in the lean times. That type of lesson has stuck with me. I still keep my pantry stocked fully (even though I get a military retirement pension AND have a good paying job) and my favorite meal is meatloaf with lima beans and rice. What I will never eat again though is chicken on the bone! I haven't eaten that since I moved out at 18yo.
Once the oldest daughter moved out for college the wife and I did start to go out to eat a lot more than we used to. Now that the youngest daughter came to live with us, we are getting back to cooking all of the time. I've found that I feel much better physically eating home made food, vs. take out and restaurant food.
psychosid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #39
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
My wife and I are both non-cooks, and now with a VERY clingy toddler, we don't even have time to try. At this point if I'm not bringing food home after work, we don't eat. I hate it. It costs a small fortune, but I honestly have no other options currently.

No shame in that route. The rich stay rich by finding deals and maximizing what they get for their money. As often as we eat out (as in, always), I make it a habit to go through all mail/newspapers/flyers looking for coupons.

Invest in a slow cooker and a couple of "Fix It and Forget It" and "5 Ingredient Crock Pot" slow cooker recipe books. It only takes a couple of minutes to throw the stuff in and you're done. It takes a lot of effort to screw up cooking this way! I just ate cube steak cooked in beef broth with potatoes and carrots the wife made yesterday in the slow cooker. Freaking amazing!
psychosid30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #40
Douchebag On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'WHEELS' View Post
This is true. For me, it's just my girlfriend and I so that may be why I usually don't see a difference between eating out and eating in.

Also, I've lost my interest in simple meals that COULD save money.. I just can't eat plain macaroni & cheese, spaghetti, ramen, grilled cheese etc anymore. There's too many delicious recipe's out there. Last night we made some grilled vegetable quesadillas with 3 kinds of cheese, mixed grilled vegetables, pesto, and sriracha hummus. I didn't buy the ingredients so I don't know how much it all cost but I imagine around $25 for that one meal that also took an hour to make.
My favorite meal to prep is lemon herb and tuna pasta. It's delicious, cheap, easy, and decently healthy despite being a little high in fast from olive oil.

The problem a lot of people have with it being expensive to purchase food is that they don't have ANY of the ingredients. Spices are expensive, but they last a long time for a lot of meals. The individual meals get less expensive as you go.
justin455 is online now   Reply With Quote