Do you go out to eat too much? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Do you go out to eat too much?

Old 03-11-2017, 05:04 AM   #1
TECH Resident

Default Do you go out to eat too much?

I almost never cook anymore. I spend approximately $300 per month in Food and Gas with about $100 of that allocated towards Gasoline and $200 towards food. I have a very efficient car but my stomach isn't very efficient. Usually when I come home from work I just go straight to sleep then I wake up and its almost time for me to go back. During the weekends Im running around town..oh for sakes I just dont like cooking.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
8 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I almost never cook anymore. I spend approximately $300 per month in Food and Gas with about $100 of that allocated towards Gasoline and $200 towards food. I have a very efficient car but my stomach isn't very efficient. Usually when I come home from work I just go straight to sleep then I wake up and its almost time for me to go back. During the weekends Im running around town..oh for sakes I just dont like cooking.
Getting a wife solved that problem for me! But of course the overall expenses increased well above the $ saved on food. Guess I can't complain though since she works full-time.
turbotrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
TECH Enthusiast

Rarely eat out. Never as good or healthy as my own stuff at home. Much less expensive to eat at home compared dining out.

Take the wife out once per month. She would wish it was more often, not for the food rather the atmosphere.

Our grocery bill is about $450 per month. Eating out that one time is about $50-$75.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-11-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Felix C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
Staging Lane

Quote:
i absolutly detest cooking. The wiff does all that though. Even when its the "manly" bbq with a brisket at the right temp with secret rub and all that. Pointless to me. You spend a whole 8 or more hours to cook a slab of meet just right. Dont over season it, make sure it stays at the right heat. Mix in wood chips that you soaked for how ever long in water first, check the baffles on the grill. All that for a half hour of enjoyment on a product you are literally full meaning of the word, turning all that work into ****. And all youre left with is elevated sodium levels and a memory.

some dudes that do enjoy cooking probably look at cars as a waste of time i suppose.
TheUrbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
Teching In

Cooking is one of my hobbies so I'd rather do that
FlyinOn4Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Douchebag On The Tree

I meal prep for work. I spend about 30 mins cooking my lunches and get 6 days out of it. Throw them in some Tupperware and pop them in the freezer. Costs me less than $2 a meal.

I either have cereal or make oatmeal in the morning.

At night I'll usually make dinner if I'm home. Sometimes I work evenings though and my gf does her own thing. Every now and then we eat out for dinner. She usually gets fast food for her lunches.
justin455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
TECH Junkie

Yes. Way too much.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin455 View Post
I meal prep for work. I spend about 30 mins cooking my lunches and get 6 days out of it. Throw them in some Tupperware and pop them in the freezer. Costs me less than $2 a meal.

I either have cereal or make oatmeal in the morning.

At night I'll usually make dinner if I'm home. Sometimes I work evenings though and my gf does her own thing. Every now and then we eat out for dinner. She usually gets fast food for her lunches.
Sounds like me and my lady, except I usually prep a few meals for her while I'm doing mine. If she don't like what I cook, tough ****, make your own, lol. I haven't bought lunch at work since I started my current job in July 2015.
78novacaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
11 Second Club

I cook 95% of my meals, saves a lot of money. Cost me around $15/day to eat quality food that tastes good.

I do go out to eat w/ the GF Friday night and Saturday morning breakfast though.
Tim94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
TECH Enthusiast

I BOGO a great deal. Spreads out the $$. Habit from when I was poor.
Felix C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #11
TECH Addict

300 dollars a month is steep for eating out. That's a used car..... car payment.
Tuskyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #12
On The Tree

Yes I eat out many times per week. I also try and cook recipe's I see online that sound good, but it seems like every time I go to the store for ingredients I'm always spending $30-50 for that one meal anyways so it seems like a lose-lose situation for me.
'WHEELS' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #13
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim94gt View Post
I cook 95% of my meals, saves a lot of money. Cost me around $15/day to eat quality food that tastes good.

I do go out to eat w/ the GF Friday night and Saturday morning breakfast though.
$15 * 7 days a week = $105 * 4 weeks (Aprox 1 month) = $420 :O

(With all due respect of course) I'm eating out for literally half of that per month, it generally costs me about $200 to eat out for a month...now is it healthy? different story .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuskyz28 View Post
300 dollars a month is steep for eating out. That's a used car..... car payment.
It costs me $200 not $300 - the extra $100 is for Gasoline it takes me to get around for 1 month. I added that in comparison to show it costs me more to eat than it does to commute in a single month and my commute is about 25 miles one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'WHEELS' View Post
Yes I eat out many times per week. I also try and cook recipe's I see online that sound good, but it seems like every time I go to the store for ingredients I'm always spending $30-50 for that one meal anyways so it seems like a lose-lose situation for me.
Honestly this is what I'm beginning to see as well, Cooking used to be cheaper but lately ingredients and food in general at the Grocery store has increased in price so much that there's almost no cost difference between cooking and eating out.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
TECH Junkie

Yup. Trying to cut down on it. Usually now though I do takeout, which keeps the wife from ordering drinks and no tip. It reduces the cost of eating out for two a little, and usually me and her can split something as the portions seem large at most places.

On work days I pack my lunch and try to maintain healthy eating. It's the days I have off that seem to just be whatever I can get my hands on.
camar0corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
TECH Junkie

Use to but have been trying to cut down on it.
MonmouthCtyLS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #16
12 Second Club

Quote:
$15 * 7 days a week = $105 * 4 weeks (Aprox 1 month) = $420 :O

(With all due respect of course) I'm eating out for literally half of that per month, it generally costs me about $200 to eat out for a month...now is it healthy? different story

It costs me $200 not $300 - the extra $100 is for Gasoline it takes me to get around for 1 month. I added that in comparison to show it costs me more to eat than it does to commute in a single month and my commute is about 25 miles one way
So you're only spending $6.65 a day on average eating out all of your meals? I have a very hard time buying that unless you are literally living off of dollar menus.

I eat a LOT of food, and total grocery bill for my gf and me is usually around $500/month, with little to no eating out on my part and very little on hers.
78novacaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #17
TECH Addict

What do you drive daily to work ?
Tuskyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
TECH Addict

I've cut down on going out a bit. My fiancee and I will go out to eat once a month and get take out maybe 1 or 2 times. We typically prep meals for work during the week but I still end up going out 1 or 2 times just to get outta the office. But for the most part I've been eating a lot healthier.
mjs1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
Staging Lane

Readin all this im feelin a bit like a douche. Is it the money is the problem or is everyone really health concious? Growin up poor i had to eat meals like it was the end of the world and thats all we had. Ramen noodles, sandwiches, breakfast for dinner, hell dad would make a giant pot of mac and cheese with hot dogs in it and thatd be dinner for the week.

once i was on my own i do not budget for food. I get what i want and what i feel like eating when ever the hell i please. Family budget for food is 600 a month (2 dogs, wife, kid, me). Its good to penny pinch but i lived that "just enough to sustain yourself" life and i wont go back.
TheUrbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #20
TECH Apprentice

Well, My father-in-law goes to County fairs and shows cows....when said cows get pregnant and they have a bull...Well in 2 years that bull ends up in my freezer. 2 families share a side of beef....All the steaks, roasts and ground beef you can have. The only thing that sucks is helping cut it up and packaging it. I guess its the price we pay for free Beef. We do go out once a week or so.....not too much though.
Chevyguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote