Applying for my 7 FFL and SOT to own a post-1986 full-auto rifle......questions...? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Applying for my 7 FFL and SOT to own a post-1986 full-auto rifle......questions...?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
TECH Senior Member

Default Applying for my 7 FFL and SOT to own a post-1986 full-auto rifle......questions...?

Does anyone here have these two?

I want to ask a couple questions about the process you went through.

This seems the easiest way because hell if I'm paying $17,000 for a (RDIAS) registered drop in auto-sear.

Thanks.

LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
Staging Lane

Well you're gonna have to deal with the ATF and their compliance officers. Make sure your books are good and do a few NFA transfers a year and keep that paperwork in check and you should be alright.

The Hughes Amendment is the worst thing that happened to all of us as gun enthusiasts.
Eric Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
TECH Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Trujillo View Post
do a few NFA transfers a year
I was thinking something along those lines.

If you have no dealer activity and it's pretty obvious that you got this just to own the weapons yourself then you might run into problems.
infinitebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Well you're gonna have to deal with the ATF and their compliance officers. Make sure your books are good and do a few NFA transfers a year and keep that paperwork in check and you should be alright.

The Hughes Amendment is the worst thing that happened to all of us as gun enthusiasts.
Thats what I've heard. I've got a guy that has had his FFL for almost 20 years. Owns a range that all the LEOs shoot at. He's helping me with the process, which really doesn't seem like a big deal.

I'm going to set up an online gun store. He is going to send a few customers my way each year. This guy does a lot of weapons sales. He's going to trick out my P308 (.308 cal) SBR 12.5" barrel. He says I can go ahead now and make it full auto but he must keep it locked at his shop until my paperwork comes through....but I can go out and shoot it anytime at his range. The whole ""sample rifle" demo thing.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
TECH Senior Member

Its crazy how many hoops you have to jump through to own a NEWLY manufactured post-1986 full auto.

But if you just want the RDIAS all you need is an SOT stamp for $200.00.....or buy a pre-1986 already full-auto weapon and just get the $200.00 SOT stamp.....but pay $20,000+ for the weapon......

Old 03-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
Staging Lane

I would get into the suppressor business, do some sort of budget suppressor that's full auto rated. You need a machine gun to test that so that's where your SOT would come in nicely. They're still NFA items for the moment and when they get removed from the NFA, you can still keep your machine guns for testing out new versions of your suppressors, as well as doing NFA transfers. You can probably make a decent profit on that as well staying compliant.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #7
TECH Apprentice

I know the U.S. government refers to full auto weapons as machine guns, but technically machine guns are things like open bolt and frequently belt fed etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_gun

Ironically, the US government also calls semi-automatic rifles "assault rifles", so it's like they shifted everything over one.
SouthernRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
I would get into the suppressor business, do some sort of budget suppressor that's full auto rated. You need a machine gun to test that so that's where your SOT would come in nicely. They're still NFA items for the moment and when they get removed from the NFA, you can still keep your machine guns for testing out new versions of your suppressors, as well as doing NFA transfers. You can probably make a decent profit on that as well staying compliant.
Are you saying if I get the 7 FFL and SOT, so that I can then build a NEW model full-auto rifle.....if I ONLY sell suppressors that alone will keep my 7 FFL compliant?

So I would not have to sell any firearms....?

Because selling suppressors does seem like an easy business to get in to. Especially like you say....a budget model.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
Staging Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
Are you saying if I get the 7 FFL and SOT, so that I can then build a NEW model full-auto rifle.....if I ONLY sell suppressors that alone will keep my 7 FFL compliant?

So I would not have to sell any firearms....?

Because selling suppressors does seem like an easy business to get in to. Especially like you say....a budget model.

A Type 7 is defined as
Quote:
Type 7 Manufacturer of Firearms Other Than Destructive Devices. Title 1 manufacturer of firearms and ammunition, who may also act as dealer; may not manufacture or deal in destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, or armor-piercing ammunition. Can also manufacture & deal in Title 2 (NFA) firearms with an SOT Class 2 status.
No you don't actually have to sell pistols, rifles shotguns or any of that. While you can't make or sell grenades and explosives, but you can make suppressors and sell them, because a sound suppressor is a Title 2 firearm (don't ask where that logic comes from) according to the NFA. Your SOT has to be class 2 status in order to sell them.

As far as making suppressors, I mean ****, you can make them from oil filters or pretty much anything. I mean the market is expanding pretty quickly from what I can see. SilencerCo has the dominant market share right now because they've been in the trenches since the beginning, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for expansion. Especially with most suppressors being 600 to 1200 bucks right now, there is room for a budget minded suppressor for the most common calibers (9MM, .45ACP, .223/556, 7.62 etc)

I would love to be able to go into a gun shop and buy a suppressor, but the cost of them, plus the tax stamp and the wait time is what gets you. If you can eliminate one of the 3 from being an issue then you'd be a step ahead.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
A Type 7 is defined as

No you don't actually have to sell pistols, rifles shotguns or any of that. While you can't make or sell grenades and explosives, but you can make suppressors and sell them, because a sound suppressor is a Title 2 firearm (don't ask where that logic comes from) according to the NFA. Your SOT has to be class 2 status in order to sell them.

As far as making suppressors, I mean ****, you can make them from oil filters or pretty much anything. I mean the market is expanding pretty quickly from what I can see. SilencerCo has the dominant market share right now because they've been in the trenches since the beginning, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for expansion. Especially with most suppressors being 600 to 1200 bucks right now, there is room for a budget minded suppressor for the most common calibers (9MM, .45ACP, .223/556, 7.62 etc)
Jeez....this stuff is so confusing. So it sounds like I can just sell suppressors and that will keep my 7 FFL compliant.

Yes, its crazy, I've seen so many vidoes of people making very nice suppressors with oil filters and Maglight flashlights.

So I'm wondering, maybe you know. Could someone with a 7 FFL buy 100 Maglights and convert them into suppressors and sell them under their FFL....?

That would be quite easy to do and sell them for $75.00 each. I think you would sell hundreds of them.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-15-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Staging Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
Jeez....this stuff is so confusing. So it sounds like I can just sell suppressors and that will keep my 7 FFL compliant.

Yes, its crazy, I've seen so many vidoes of people making very nice suppressors with oil filters and Maglight flashlights.

So I'm wondering, maybe you know. Could someone with a 7 FFL buy 100 Maglights and convert them into suppressors and sell them under their FFL....?

That would be quite easy to do and sell them for $75.00 each. I think you would sell hundreds of them.

I would buy one at that price thats for sure. I'd be out the door for less than 300 bucks with Tax Stamp included. Now i'd just have to wait the 9 months to get one haha.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #12
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
I would buy one at that price thats for sure. I'd be out the door for less than 300 bucks with Tax Stamp included. Now i'd just have to wait the 9 months to get one haha.
Do you know if an FFL can be had with partners in a business. Or is it only allowed to be issued to one person?

I'm talking to my friend as we are posting.....he wants to do this right away....then start selling extremely cheap suppressors.

You may have started something.....LOL

Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #13
Staging Lane

I would talk to the ATF or a lawyer on that one to be sure but I would think so, since you can setup a corporation and have you both employees of the corporation. Like any gun shop or manufacturer.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #14
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
I would talk to the ATF or a lawyer on that one to be sure but I would think so, since you can setup a corporation and have you both employees of the corporation. Like any gun shop or manufacturer.
We're gonna start looking into it now.

We'll see.....thanks for the info....