Any Wrestlers Here - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Any Wrestlers Here

Old 03-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
TECH Senior Member

Default Any Wrestlers Here

Just seeing if any of you guys wrestled, currently wrestle, or have kids who wrestle. I'm one of the Kids Club coaches where my 6 year old son wrestles at. This is his second year of wrestling, and he's already won the 6 and under State Championship and took 1st place at the Liberty National Tournament. We went to Tulsa, OK for a huge national tournament earlier in the year, and out of a 32 man bracket, he took top 6. As of March 1st, 2017, he's ranked as the 5th best wrestler in the country according to USA Wrestling Magazine. We are currently working on learning more advanced moves. Just curious if anyone else enjoys wrestling and what some of your go-to-moves were.
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
TECH Enthusiast

My nephew wrestles, he has only been wrestling 3 seasons. He is a freshman this year and finished in the top 18 in the state as a freshman. He is a stud on the mat. His record this year was 38-12. A majority of those losses happened at the beginning of the season or wrestling out of his weightclass.

He struggles starting in the down position but he is nearly impossible to take down. He relies on a lot of trips and lateral throws compared to your traditional double and single leg takedowns.

Last edited by thislswon; 03-15-2017 at 01:45 PM.
thislswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thislswon View Post
My nephew wrestles, he has only been wrestling 3 seasons. He is a freshman this year and finished in the top 18 in the state as a freshman. He is a stud on the mat. His record this year was 38-12. A majority of those losses happened at the beginning of the season or wrestling out of his weightclass.

He struggles starting in the down position but he is nearly impossible to take down. He relies on a lot of trips and lateral throws compared to your traditional double and single leg takedowns.
That's pretty awesome. Titan, my 6 year old, has only lost once in Missouri, which was to a kid in a 45lb bracket (Titan weighs 33 pounds). Everyone else he's wrestled in Missouri, he's either pinned or teched. At that national tournament in Tulsa, there were some real studs. He lost to the eventual champion, a kid from San Jose, California who is now ranked 2nd in the country. We're headed up to Iowa this weekend for the Corn Cob Nationals, so there will be stiff competition there. We've been working on head defense, hitting a switch, and some throws this week. If your nephew could master a switch, he'd be all set from the bottom. Or a Gramby roll.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast

He sounds like a heck of a wrestler. Also, cool name for a little beast wrestler. My nephew is in the 106lb class. He cuts about 4lbs to make the class. He plays RB too in football and he had to cut down on weights quite a bit during his freshman football season to make him be able to stay close to 106 come wrestling season.

Last edited by thislswon; 03-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
TECH Enthusiast

Couple videos of him from a tournament he won.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member

I think the name fits him pretty well. I nicknamed him "The Wolf", so on Track Wrestling, he's down as Titan "The Wolf" Suttenfield. We do some supplemental stuff with an elite club called Eierman Elite, so he gets to see J'Den *** (2x NCAA champion from Missouri) quite often.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
TECH Enthusiast

Great pics, you have any vids of him wrestling?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
TECH Senior Member

My wife has some on here phone. There is one on Flow Wrestling of him wrestling the kid from California that won the Tulsa Flow National Title, but you have to have a paid membership to that site to view the videos. I'll see if I can upload some to You Tube.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
On The Tree

I wrestled Greco Roman in my much younger days and probably got a lot of my interest and *** beatings from one of my best friends lol. Me and my buddy have been close friends since we were in the 5th grade (We both will actually be 35 in April) so been friends forever. Anyways he was an outstanding wrestler even wrestled in the Junior Olympics me wasn't never too great I wrestled 125 and man seemed every year I'd go against state defending champions in my area.

So when my son wrestled starting at age 6 I wish I would have gotten him started a little sooner as sports has changed a lot from when I was younger. Definitely wish I would have started him in Gymnastics as I think that does wonders for little ones as they grow. But he wrestled for 4 years and even got to train with Jordan Burroughs from time to time as he's a native University Nebraska champion and Gold Medal Champion and the kids jaws would drop when he walked in to practices at the Nebraska Wrestling Training Center here in Lincoln super cool guy and great with kids. Us parents would be speechless because the dude looks like a mini Mike Tyson very ripped lol. But my son kinda got burnt out but has been talking again about getting back into wrestling and part of the burnt out problem was my fault moving him to an Elite Club or that's what they started out as and the owner couldn't decide if he wanted to be a wrestling coach MMA coach Yoga coach blah blah and started to get to be a regular thing where he wouldn't show up for meets and then practices were always being juggled around.

But congrats to your kids, one thing my friend told me a few years back is that no matter what it's an important life skill (show be mandatory in gym class) to learn that will always follow them through life no matter what skill/level they achieve in wrestling careers.
neblackshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
TECH Senior Member

Titan actually wrestled a kid from Nebraska at Liberty Nationals. His club was called The Nebraska Boyz. It's an elite club and the kid was pretty good. Titan ended up winning a 7-4 decision.

I totally agree that it teaches kids so many life lessons. How to win, how to loose, how to be a good sport (I see a lot of kids that are not), hard work, determination, etc. I just love how Titan is always the hardest working kid in the room and always wants more. We practice with our club two nights a week and then practice with the Elite Club another two nights a week. He's always looking forward to going and asks each morning if we're going to practice. We have mats setup in the basement at home and he practices pretty much every night with his sister who's 50 lbs and 2 years older. He beats her, but she puts up a great fight. It helps him too because she's heavier and stronger, so he gets used to pushing against bigger/stronger kids, which makes him more aware of body positioning and leverage. All his practice partners are at least 10 pounds heavier too, and he's yet to wrestle a kid that's the same weight as him. Even when he's in the 35lb class, he's giving up 2 or 3 pounds.

Last edited by Rise of the Phoenix; 03-16-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
On The Tree

No, but I can impersonate Steve Austin pretty well and perform a RKO out of nowhere. :p
vwdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Sawzall and Welder Mod

I plan on getting my boy into wrestling at some point for a lot of the reasons discussed in this thread. Learning discipline, technique, and most importantly , learning how to win and lose with class.

Wrestling is also amazing for self defense. Knowing how to throw hands is important too, but almost no one in a street brawl knows what to do next when they get dumped on their ***.

How old was Titan when he started?

Also- 33 pounds at 6 years old?!? How tall is he? That's only 2 lbs more than my 23 month old son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
That's pretty awesome. Titan, my 6 year old, has only lost once in Missouri, which was to a kid in a 45lb bracket (Titan weighs 33 pounds). Everyone else he's wrestled in Missouri, he's either pinned or teched. At that national tournament in Tulsa, there were some real studs. He lost to the eventual champion, a kid from San Jose, California who is now ranked 2nd in the country. We're headed up to Iowa this weekend for the Corn Cob Nationals, so there will be stiff competition there. We've been working on head defense, hitting a switch, and some throws this week. If your nephew could master a switch, he'd be all set from the bottom. Or a Gramby roll.
Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
I plan on getting my boy into wrestling at some point for a lot of the reasons discussed in this thread. Learning discipline, technique, and most importantly , learning how to win and lose with class.

Wrestling is also amazing for self defense. Knowing how to throw hands is important too, but almost no one in a street brawl knows what to do next when they get dumped on their ***.

How old was Titan when he started?

Also- 33 pounds at 6 years old?!? How tall is he? That's only 2 lbs more than my 23 month old son.

The Kid's Club we are with, Tri-Cap, is a Catholic Kid's Club that's associated with Helias Catholic High School. Titan technically started when he was 4 years old, but the club rules state you have to be 5, so we practiced at home and he participated in one rookie tournament at 4.

Titan's extremely small for his age. His weight and height are basically off the growth chart. I don't think he's ever wrestled a kid his actual weight. A lot of the season he was wrestling 40 and 45 pound kid and he was having no problem at all taking them down and getting them on their back. Since he's started doing pushups each night, I can tell he's a lot stronger.

Of all the sports out there, I think wrestling is the toughest. Wrestling practice is not for the faint of heart and most people don't understand the discipline it takes to be a good wrestler. You have to watch your diet religiously, you have to work hard in the weight room, and you have to learn to be mentally tough. I would most definitely encourage getting your son into wrestling.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
TECH Senior Member

Well, Titan took second at the Corn Cob Nationals in Des Moines, IA over this past weekend. He was competing in a 40 pound class and he only weighed in at 33 pounds. They had Titan as the number 1 seed in the bracket and he wrestled the number 2 seed for the championship. Titan lost 5-1. The kid he wrestled was just bigger and stronger and rode Titan's head the entire match with a front head-lock. We worked on what to do when someone gets a front head-lock, but he just wasn't strong enough to get the kid's arm off his neck. Does anyone know what you can do to prevent from getting into a front head-lock?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #15
TECH Junkie

I wrestle with the idea of murdering other motorists on the road from time to time.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #16
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post
I wrestle with the idea of murdering other motorists on the road from time to time.
I, too, reside in Houston...
78novacaine is offline   Reply With Quote