Mobil 1 Annual Protection? Do you trust it? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Mobil 1 Annual Protection? Do you trust it?

Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
TECH Apprentice

Default Mobil 1 Annual Protection? Do you trust it?

One full year without an oil change? Having seen damage from dirty oil and bad pumps with my own two eyes (and smelling with my own nose), I am super paranoid about keeping fluids flushed and clean.

Would you trust any car, much less your LS1 or other "baby" with this oil without changing it for a YEAR?

My thought was to maybe buy it for its slow breakdown, but still change at regular intervals.
SouthernRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
LS1Tech Administrator

An appropriate definition for "regular interval" will be dependent on usage and application. I already go for a year or more on my garage queens - anything less would be a serious waste based on how I use them. With so many different possible usage/storage parameters and engines/engine combos (stock to a multitude of modification levels), there will never be a single one-size-fits-all best answer to this. The closest you'll get to finding the ideal change interval (best balance between protection and waste) for your application can only come with information from UOAs, but that only works if you always drive the car in generally the same way once you've found the magic balance for your combination.

If you think that a year on the same oil is a crazy/dangerous/harmful suggestion regardless of the application, then you'd likely be very surprised by some UOAs of quality oil that's been used for that period or even longer. Sites like BITOG have a ton of info covering this and other oil topics, some of it is pretty eye opening to folks who have stuck to the antique rule of 3 months/3,000 miles regardless of the oil or how the vehicle is used and/or modified.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
12 Second Club

It still says only 20,000 miles. And it's 50$

The 15k mile one is 30
Mappinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic

I think in a non race engine daily driver this would be ok but in a LS with short piston skirts noway. My oil is wasted after 4-5k, for the 1st 2500 miles after a oil change I use nothing but from there on it uses a qt every 1k. The piston design and loose fitting piston of the LS puts a lot of crap in the oil.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Village Troll

On something driven seasonably? Sure. Daily with stop/go traffic especially in the summertime? Hell no.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote