Who still uses computers? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Who still uses computers?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Default Who still uses computers?

Yea, that's right...who still uses those (aside from work). I see people sitting around with their $2-3k computers, and often find myself wondering why? I do EVERYTHING with my phone, and have been for quite a while now, and find computers to be "old fashioned" now. Anyone else feel this way?
Game ova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
On The Tree

I've got a MacBook Pro that I use multiple times a day. Obviously work and also for uploading/editing photos.
'WHEELS' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
TECH Junkie

Users who consume info are ok with tablets/phones.
Providers who put the info on web need sometimes more than a tablet.

I helped people with wireless printers or wifi issues at their home, there was no laptop or desktop. Just tablets and phones and smart tvs. My neibhor always jumps on my wireless printer to print something because he only has his smart phone and no other modern tech.

There are some websites (mostly govt) that need a laptop, but even DMV sites are turning mobile friendly.

thank a nerd ...like me.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 04-16-2017 at 10:56 PM.
bad_408_vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
12 Second Club

I'd say I'm 75% phone / 25%laptop.
general Google a movie time or reading ls1 tech on my phone.
gona download music/watch a good vid/etc I pull out the laptop. Each have advantages obviously. I like a full keyboard and screen doing music or ahopping. Phone obviously the go to anytime for a quick search, and at work so I keep off the work comps. And read kindle books on phone in downtime or waiting rooms.
as a side not to the original post, my phone cost 149 bucks been using it for 2 years. My laptop was like 299 lol.
2-3k for a laptop? Must be nice to have that kinda money for the rockafellers out there haha.

Last edited by JDEP162; 04-16-2017 at 11:05 PM.
JDEP162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

The last time I used a computer was roughly 3 months ago. And that was to order an AMEX card that I wanted, and I was unable to do so on my phone. If it wasn't for that, it would have been much longer.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 AM   #6
Douchebag On The Tree

Personally it's either my phone or Xbox 99% of the time.

Professionally I use a computer every day for about 2 hours or so. And I wouldn't wanna do it on a mobile device as it's a lot of reports.
justin455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #7
LS1Tech Administrator

I don't use a phone for anything but phone calls, all my internet activity is on a computer. I like having the [physically] smallest phone possible for ease of pocket portability, which is why I never became interested in smart phones or their massive screens. However, I like something bigger than a flip phone screen for internet usage, hence my need for two devices to satisfy my preferences.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Village Troll

<---------- crotchety old ****
I hate using my phone for anything not phone call related and will only use it if required.
SS RRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
TECH Fanatic

Apparently I'm the minority here, in regards to having no use for a computer. I even pay my bills with my phone, exception being my mortgage.....if my mortgage holder would allow it...I would pay that online as well. With that said....I haven't checked to see if they do..... BRB!!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game ova
Apparently I'm the minority here, in regards to having no use for a computer. I even pay my bills with my phone, exception being my mortgage.....if my mortgage holder would allow it...I would pay that online as well. With that said....I haven't checked to see if they do..... BRB!!
That just seems like a pain in the ***. Most of my bill pay sites (utilities) are already poorly designed, it would drive me nuts trying to navigate that crap using a cell phone.
'WHEELS' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Formally Simplɘ Jack

I also only use my phone for internet use. I'll rarely ever use my desktop unless it's for more important matters like taking an assessment and such.
BoricuaHec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'WHEELS' View Post
That just seems like a pain in the ***. Most of my bill pay sites (utilities) are already poorly designed, it would drive me nuts trying to navigate that crap using a cell phone.
I guess it depends on the company....as well as your phone. If one is using a low end phone, I could see it being an issue. But I actually find it to be easy, I get an email saying that I have a bill that's due.....a couple clicks and literally less than a minute and im done. With all this said, I don't use a small iPhone like phone either....my screen has lots of real estate. #Team android ftw!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
TECH Resident

I still play games on Steam here and there so I definitely need a PC to do that. Sometimes I use my phone for browsing, but depends on what I'm looking for. The interface of a PC is still 10x better than those limited mobile based websites that only give you half the information you're looking for.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I still play games on Steam here and there so I definitely need a PC to do that. Sometimes I use my phone for browsing, but depends on what I'm looking for. The interface of a PC is still 10x better than those limited mobile based websites that only give you half the information you're looking for.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
TECH Veteran

I would say I'm about 60 / 40 on phone / computer.

A smartphone has definitely replaced a lot of tasks that I used to use a computer for such as basic web browsing, youtube, checking email, looking up routes in maps, checking weather/news/sports/etc.

However there are definitely sill plenty of tasks that I would rather do on a computer with a larger screen and more robust applications such as editing photos, paying bills, browsing more complex and interactive websites, typing up a letter or long email, reading a long pdf or powerpoint, etc.
infinitebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #16
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Yea you can do that.. but you still have to interact with a desktop site on a much smaller / cumbersome screen. Plus that option doesn't work for all websites..some will still force you to use the mobile version of the site.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #17
12 Second Club

I have no desktop at home or work but bring my laptop back and forth to use for work and personal use. I use my cell for internet if not near my laptop but otherwise I am usually on my laptop whether its surfing forums like this one or other uses. I spend a lot of time watching you tube concerts and other video heavy content so I purposely buy laptops with a large screen.

Not that I do it as much as I used to but I use my laptop any time I need to scan or tune with my hp tuners

We recently got a Roku tv and I do watch some of my you tube stuff on the tv instead now but typically only if my wife is watching the same thing with me otherwise its laptop and headphones.

I do use my phone to stream some music via Bluetooth as well.

as above I have a cheap Samsung phone I don't think it was over $100 and my laptop was in the low $300's - as much as I move my laptop around I am good for shattering a screen or busting the receptacle for the power cord or something about every 2 years so I don't put money into a 2 year old $300 laptop I just buy another one lol
murphinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #18
TECH Resident

I only use a computer maybe 1-2 hrs a week just to write up estimates or purchase something. I rarely use cad anymore since I just draw out what I'm making by hand unless it's a complicated piece.

75% of the time I use my iPad. Makes it easy in this website since I can just transfer pics from the iPad to tech without using a photo hosting website.

Phone-wise, I have an oldschool flip phone with a screen the size of a postage stamp. I have no need for a smartphone. I honestly don't like them due to the fact that everyone driving is texting and not paying attention. People don't know how to live without them and are just getting more annoying to deal with in person anymore. I was born in the wrong time...
BlackDuk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:23 AM   #19
TECH Fanatic

I have a 7 year old laptop that I treat as a desktop, it stays on my desk, since the battery is fubar and it needs to be plugged in all the time. I use it when I'm at home to surf the net, watch videos, etc. It works reasonably well most of the time. I really do like having a full functioning keyboard to type stuff, I can't imagine doing everything from my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone, that screen displayed keyboard would drive me nuts trying to type stuff, especially a response like this one, where its kind of long.

The one thing I have cut a couple years ago was the cable/satellite TV. **** was just too expensive IMO, I don't watch sports, it was over $120 a month to get the BBC channel that I wanted. I now have netflix, hulu, and amazon prime, which gives me almost all the programs I watched on cable for about $30 a month.
AronZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #20
Staging Lane

I barely ever use my laptops, but my desktop gets used almost every day because of my music production stuff, YouTube content creation and some video games. Otherwise I'm on my phone 24/7.
Eric Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote