Dodge demon skepticism - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Dodge demon skepticism

Old 06-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Default Dodge demon skepticism

Maybe it's my dislike of Chrysler in general, but I'm leery of the claim of 9.60 @140. My thoughts are, it was done one time...at sea level....on a 40 degree day with a tail wind, real world numbers...im thinking 9.90s 137ish. And for the air conditioned blower, i wonder if the engineers have taken into account what to do with the condensation from the a/c. And for the life of me, I can't understand the fascination with trying to make cars that weigh as much as an M1 Abrams tank fast (aka hellcat and demon...charger too). Anyone else leery of dodges claim?
Game ova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:25 AM   #2
Launching!

No. I'm sure the car will be fast.
sw07gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #3
TECH Senior Member

9.6 for a 4200lb car is insane, so yeah I'm a little leary as well lol. In order to move that weight with that ET and MPH it sure seems like it would take more than 840 hp
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Launching!

Dodge claimed 10.9 for the hellcat with just a tire. Multiple people matched or beat it. I expect this to be the same.
sw07gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw07gt View Post
Dodge claimed 10.9 for the hellcat with just a tire. Multiple people matched or beat it. I expect this to be the same.
Pretty much this. The 9.6 was still using the full drag pack and the 1000+ hp racing fuel setting.

I want to see it replicated for sure, but given how Dodge has actually been underrating the performance of these cars (Hellcats), I'm willing to extend a bit of faith.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Maybe it's my dislike of Chrysler in general, but I'm leery of the claim of 9.60 @140. My thoughts are, it was done one time...at sea level....on a 40 degree day with a tail wind, real world numbers...im thinking 9.90s 137ish. And for the air conditioned blower, i wonder if the engineers have taken into account what to do with the condensation from the a/c. And for the life of me, I can't understand the fascination with trying to make cars that weigh as much as an M1 Abrams tank fast (aka hellcat and demon...charger too). Anyone else leery of dodges claim?

Sorry, but even if it does "only run 9.90's @ 137mph", that's still f'ing amazing for a production car with a warranty.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
TECH Senior Member

Yep, these are cool as **** whether you like dodge as a company or not.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
9.6 for a 4200lb car is insane, so yeah I'm a little leary as well lol. In order to move that weight with that ET and MPH it sure seems like it would take more than 840 hp
And that 840/770 is more than likely crank horsepower. I'm pretty sure automakers don't do rwhp. Can't wait to see these in the real world.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post
Sorry, but even if it does "only run 9.90's @ 137mph", that's still f'ing amazing for a production car with a warranty.
Yea, I guess. But then I think of the 85k price before tax and all that extra jazz that comes with it. Yes, I get it...its the fastest production car ever, but for the money (85k) and it not running the claimed number without special gas...having to take the seat out and whatever other hoops you have to jump through, it's not so impressive.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Yea, I guess. But then I think of the 85k price before tax and all that extra jazz that comes with it. Yes, I get it...its the fastest production car ever, but for the money (85k) and it not running the claimed number without special gas...having to take the seat out and whatever other hoops you have to jump through, it's not so impressive.
Yes it is. lol
Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
9 Second Club

Quote:
Beats paying $100k for a Z06 that barely runs 10's, or $110k for a CTSV that barely runs 11's.
SLOW SEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
Douchebag On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN View Post
Beats paying $100k for a Z06 that barely runs 10's, or $110k for a CTSV that barely runs 11's.
To be fair, those do turn...but I agree. The Demon is well worth $85k.
justin455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #13
TECH Enthusiast

I just don't understand why dodge cant get these cars (boats) under 4k pounds....

707hp in a production car? wicked cool
4400lbs on 275 wide run flats? wicked lameeeeee
hokeplaya05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
9 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeplaya05 View Post
I just don't understand why dodge cant get these cars (boats) under 4k pounds....

Nobody really has a lightweight streetcar anymore. When a C7 Z06 with driver crosses 3700lbs and new Mustangs are closing in on 4000lbs with driver it appears everyone is doing it wrong.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #15
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeplaya05 View Post

Because, they're not trying to build an agile corner carver? They are self admittedly building "muscle cars". (Straight line performers).
Old 06-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #16
10 Second Club

Quote:
You're comparing cars that are multi dimensional to a car that will only do one thing good. I like them all and while I have zero interest in purchasing a Demon I love that it's being built. It's worth the price IMO considering what you get. Try buying a car and getting it to run like that for that price. Then you're without a warranty so the OP's hate is a little misguided.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post
Because, they're not trying to build an agile corner carver? They are self admittedly building "muscle cars". (Straight line performers).
The same with the majority of people in this forum, but we all care about weight. It's like dodge just doesn't care, "oh it's heavy?...who cares"..."looks like a shoe box going down the road?..oh well". At least with the viper it looks the part, but the hellcat and demon...its like they said screw it, we give up... they will buy it anyway.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #18
9 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
You're comparing cars that are multi dimensional to a car that will only do one thing good. I like them all and while I have zero interest in purchasing a Demon I love that it's being built. It's worth the price IMO considering what you get. Try buying a car and getting it to run like that for that price. Then you're without a warranty so the OP's hate is a little misguided.
Kinda funny you say that... the Demon pulls 1g on the skidpad which outperforms the CTSV handling. The Demon also out brakes a Viper and a V3 CTSV. Not sure how with those numbers its such a terribly handling vehicle?

Not that it matters, the guys driving around in new vettes and CTSV's on bigs and littles, removed front sway bars, smaller brake 15" conversions, etc to get traction for quarter mile aren't doing very much back road cruising anyways.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
No, not misguided in the least. "Try buying a car and make it run like that for the price"....are you serious?? Give me 90k free and clear, I could put together a car that would make that thing look painfully slow. Hell, this forum is littered with cars running that fast and faster for a 3rd or less in cost.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #20
10 Second Club

Quote:
Kinda funny you say that... the Demon pulls 1g on the skidpad which outperforms the CTSV handling. The Demon also out brakes a Viper and a V3 CTSV. Not sure how with those numbers its such a terribly handling vehicle?

Not that it matters, the guys driving around in new vettes and CTSV's on bigs and littles, removed front sway bars, smaller brake 15" conversions, etc to get traction for quarter mile aren't doing very much back road cruising anyways.
You're right they aren't using them for that but that doesn't mean that's what they were designed for.

Quote:
No, not misguided in the least. "Try buying a car and make it run like that for the price"....are you serious?? Give me 90k free and clear, I could put together a car that would make that thing look painfully slow. Hell, this forum is littered with cars running that fast and faster for a 3rd or less in cost.
Of course you can buy a **** box and do it with. Anyone can do that. I'm talking about buying a nice car as a starting point. Buy a regular challenger and do it and see if the money works out the same. People don't look at the big picture.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote