Right turn on red. - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Right turn on red.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
TECH Resident

Default Right turn on red.

Is it a sin to actually stop at a red light and decline to make the right turn because you really can't see whats coming?
Or you don't feel comfortable with making the turn on red because of other conditions (such as traffic from the RIGHT, making left turns into the oncoming lanes, however; its a narrow turn and you run a risk of clipping a turning vehicle if you proceed.)

I don't know, from what I have been taught, right on red is optional AND if you make a right turn on red and hit ANYTHING (car making a U-Turn, Oncoming car, Car making a left turn in the direction you're turning, pedestrian) it's ALWAYS your fault. You have the right to wait till the light turns green even if there is a line behind you... and for me, there is no place in Atlanta worth going to of which you need to risk having an accident to make it to. There is no issue with waiting a few minutes for a traffic light. I typically don't like holding traffic up, but if I don't feel comfortable with turning.. I'm not...and your horn isn't going to change my mind either..

The horn isn't what Im ticked about though... this *** hat in an SUV tried to make me go and I wouldn't... So when I finally did turn, he tailgated me... This is a residential neighborhood and I was pretty close to a school right after school hours to so I did not flog it..I could have wasted him easily if I had wanted but I decided to remain reasonable and besides if he hit me.. god help him in court... so this clown tail gates me all the way to the next light and thought he could bring in some Karma as I had to make another right turn.. on red.. this intersection was perfectly clear however so this dude pulls up to block my view of traffic coming from the left and did so intentionally.. thinking it would work.. issue is.. I know how to look under vehicles.. and I already knew noone was coming so I made a right turn on red anyway, so he still had to wait for the light (he was going straight.)... Maybe I'm an *** hat, but its clear in the rules of the road, right on red is optional.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-06-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Launching!

Depends on the circumstances. If you have a clear view and don't do it, you're an *******. If you can't see the traffic coming from the left, then yeah, you have every right to wait for a green.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic

I drive for a living and make right on red turns all day...They aren't that difficult lol And yes I would be one of the people that are going to honk if you just sit there when you can make the turn, I have **** to do and waiting on a driver that's scared to make a simple turn isn't one of them.
LLLosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLosingit View Post
I drive for a living and make right on red turns all day...They aren't that difficult lol And yes I would be one of the people that are going to honk if you just sit there when you can make the turn, I have **** to do and waiting on a driver that's scared to make a simple turn isn't one of them.
I don't drive for a living but I'm the same.

****....I turn right on red even when it says no right turn on red.
98CayenneT/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:09 AM   #5
12 Second Club

Depends. There are some where you can see a mile clearly and it's like wtf is this guy waitimg for, make a right on red.
others it's like Russian Roulette and there's no way im.risking it too.freaking bad u will wait for me. If I'm behind someone that's waiting at a clear one, I usually look at the county sticker on the plate, if they're from outta town, il be patient, they don't know the area probly.
if it's a local plate and they're holding up **** when it's an obvious ghost town from the left, I will tap the horn maybe. 9 times out of 10 they look up from thier phone and their Facebook driving and realize oh **** I shud go huh.
JDEP162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:14 AM   #6
TECH Resident

I get what you all mean by that, but there are some conditions where I won't do it. In this circumstance, traffic turning left was slightly too close to safely make a right turn.

Right on red is optional, meaning there is nothing mandatory, illegal or even jackassory about waiting on green. If you have an issue with waiting on green, you're impatient. This is clear in the drivers handbook as well. He may wait on a green light, and you may feel he's a jackass about it, however; he's obeying the law and I see nothing jackassory about it. Nothing in the drivers manual says he has to go just because traffic is clear or conditions permit, he has every right to wait on green. Blowing at him is like saying he does not have this right, when he clearly does - and this is also illegal (you can be ticketed for blowing at a car obeying a traffic light). Alot of people don't know that right on red used to be illegal in the United States and alot of countries do not permit it at all. I have absolutely no issue with waiting on a driver ahead of me who waits on a green light to make a right on red, even when circumstances clearly allow him to do so. He MAY see something I cannot see while I'm behind him but even if not, technically blowing at him is illegal (attempting to conduct traffic) - The only circumstance where it would be legal is if he were holding up a green light.. your crap can wait.. there's nothing more important that you have to do than the car infront of you, and there's nothing new under the sun and rest assure your destination isn't going to change or get up and run away between then and the 60 seconds it takes to get a green light.

That said - I specifically do make every attempt to make a right on red - but note ANYTIME you make a right on red, you accept all liability for what may incur from it..If any accident incur's from it is automatically your fault thus if I either do not have good visibility, or there is a situation which may pose a risk of having an accident, I will not turn.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-07-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
TECH Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
If you have an issue with waiting on green, you're impatient.
Have to confess that is usually the case for me.

It's also why I prefer to drive faster cars and virtually never obey the speed limit (unless in heavy traffic).

Life is so short that I really try to waste as little time as possible doing things like going from one place to another.
infinitebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Right on red is optional, meaning there is nothing mandatory, illegal or even jackassory about waiting on green.
Driving under the speed limit isn't illegal either but it sure pisses people off. Nobody is saying it's illegal it's about being considerate to others. If you can go and don't because you feel it's not illegal to make others wait until the light turns green then you're impeding traffic and that's not being considerate to other drivers. You also sound like the type that drives in the fast lane and refuse to move your *** over because you're doing the speed limit and have a right to drive in that lane just as others do... That's fine but sooner or later it's going to bite you in the *** when you **** off the WRONG PERSON!
LLLosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
TECH Resident

Quote:
Driving under the speed limit isn't illegal either but it sure pisses people off. Nobody is saying it's illegal it's about being considerate to others. If you can go and don't because you feel it's not illegal to make others wait until the light turns green then you're impeding traffic and that's not being considerate to other drivers. You also sound like the type that drives in the fast lane and refuse to move your *** over because you're doing the speed limit and have a right to drive in that lane just as others do... That's fine but sooner or later it's going to bite you in the *** when you **** off the WRONG PERSON!
Thanks I'll keep that in mind the next time I intend to hold up the the left lane...which is never.

Driving in the fast lane and holding up traffic is illegal here in Georgia. They literally have a law for it (even if youre going the speed limit, if you're holding up traffic you can be pulled over and ticketed) and trust me. I'm not that type. Nine times of ten I'm doing 75 - 80 MPH on the Interstate (although lately I rarely have to use it as my job is a street commute.) I don't drive slow...I actually kind of have a speeding problem that I'm constantly trying to remain conscious of because lately I've been doing as much as 20 over on the surface streets (even blowing by cops doing 15 over and haven't been pulled over yet thank God) .. thing is it feels like I'm going slower than I really am .. 65 feels like 45.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Depends on the circumstances. If you have a clear view and don't do it, you're an *******. If you can't see the traffic coming from the left, then yeah, you have every right to wait for a green.
Yup

Quote:
Ditto, time is money for us truckers.
y2keglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
10 Second Club

I turn right on red all the time. Even if there is a sign that says no right on red or has time restrictions. If it’s safe to turn I’m doing it.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:44 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast

It's a mixed bag. There are some intersections here where I hesitate to make a right on red simply because it's difficult to get a clear view of the road without pulling halfway into the intersection, (This is partially due to idiots who don't know how to stop short of the white line, and also due to a stupid amount of roadside shrubbery/trees that block your view) so I wait.

Other times, it's wide open and easy to see in all directions. If i'm sitting there and some dude is just sitting there, not going, I'm gonna blip the horn. I'm not gonna be a complete dick about it and tailgate, etc. but if there's no reason to not go, then go.
HappySalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #13
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
This, drive smart and safe without being clueless. The laws are fairly stupid in some respects anyway.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
I turn right on red all the time. Even if there is a sign that says no right on red or has time restrictions. If itís safe to turn Iím doing it.
I sometimes drive at weird hours, not really but in areas where there isnt a lot of traffic, say some inner city later sunday evening, some edge of town maybe early saturday morning. I have found myself running more and more red lights bc there is literally NO cars in sight. But that ****** wont change and youre just sitting there like a big dumb fool. If its safe and i can go Im going.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #15
TECH Resident

Well, here is my 100% opinion on it.

I do right on red if I feel its safe and reasonable. If there are obstructions that block my view, traffic that may pose an issue with turning, vehicle following me and traffic is heavy on the street I'm turning onto, or any other circumstances - I have no issues with waiting until either the situation makes right on red more favorable, or..waiting until green..15 seconds to wait on a traffic light is not going to kill anyone and if it's really going to make a difference in the outcome of your commute, you have bigger issues than the driver infront of you.

If there is a vehicle infront of ME however and he does not right on red, EVEN IF the road is clear, I will not blow at him. Even if I am in a hurry. They may have other reasons for not making the turn, and legally..its an optional turn - (and in NYC its completely illegal, you cannot make right on red anywhere in NYC.)

IF..the light however changes green and he still doesn't go, then yes..I will blow.. but there is nothing out there in creation so important that you have to rush another driver to get to. You're calling the driver ahead of you a jackass, but you're really not much better and it's because you're favoring your own agenda over anothers POSSIBLE safety, that isn't ALWAYS the case (example noone's coming, most likely no safety indanger, or the driver is on the phone ect / that's annoying but technically you still cannot legally blow at him until the light changes.)

You can blow and blow - and you may all have your opinion on the matter that the guy infront of you is being a dick - maybe he is or maybe he really doesn't feel comfortable, either way though.. if it results in a situation of which you get pulled over for it (which can happen if the cop catches you blowing at someone waiting on a red light. The only time you can legally use your horn is if a driver is jeopardizing your safety. Seldomly enforced, but is the law.) ..the cop is going to go by the law..not your opinion..thus..right on red is optional and what I'm trying to state is, you can blow and blow and blow and hate the dudes guts, but he IS exercising his legal rights to wait and you're not in position to modify that. If you blow at him infront of a cop, rest assure the guy making the turn is not going to be the one getting pulled over. I see no issue with exercising patience..not a thing about where you're going is going to change between then and at most a minute it takes for the light to change...

I do alot of driving, (put about 25k miles on a car per year) but I have absolutely no issue with waiting on other drivers at intersections... now if you're impeding the left lane (also illegal) - then I'll flash my high-beams.. or try to go around you - you're impeding the legal right of way..but right on red is hardly wasting any time, and more often than not - the street you're turning onto after a right on red - will have a red light at the very next signal based on how they are timed.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #16
10 Second Club

Don’t make it so complicated. If it’s safe go if not don’t.
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #17
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
Donít make it so complicated. If itís safe go if not donít.
The way he describes it sounds like an ******* that's trying to justify being an *******, because it's "legal". "I want to wreck your day, but I don't want you blaming me for it". Same justification as left lane campers, "I'm saving lives", "I have the right to do it".

OP, I'm not saying that this is what you're doing.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #18

Quote:
I agree with this completely. If I can see, I turn. If I can't, I wait it out. I'm not risking my life just because some ******* behind me wants to shave 10-20 seconds off of his trip to wherever.

In fact, honk too much and you may be stuck behind me for the next light sequence out of spite. I hold grudges.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #19
mcG
TECH Resident

Worth noting, ALWAYS make sure you come to a complete stop before turning right on red. I got a nice ticket mailed to me a few years ago for not completely stopping before going. Had my picture and a link to a video of me doing it...now I always make sure to stop.
mcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #20
TECH Fanatic

I will do it if it's safe and clear, but if I can't see then I'm waiting especially because lots of people like to change lanes in the intersection on a multi lane road. I see it all the time, had I turned right on red, that guy that was in the left lane, changed to the right lane in the intersection and would have blasted me.
Jon5212 is offline   Reply With Quote