Could you see yourself driving an Electric Car? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Could you see yourself driving an Electric Car?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
TECH Resident

Default Could you see yourself driving an Electric Car?

It's something I never really gave much thought over but in the future may indeed become a reality. Right now, even though they're putting out around 250 - 300 miles range I'm still not exactly turned on about their mileage. While thats sufficient for commuting around town or going too / from work and getting your groceries, its insufficient for road trips as on the highway I can get up to 630 miles to full tank of gas which is double of an electric vehicle and their efficiency actually DECREASES on the highway instead of increasing like a gasoline vehicle.

Another thing is depreciation. From my understanding Electric Vehicles don't depreciate like normal cars, they depreciate more like appliances. Meaning when a vehicle with more range, a better battery, or upgrades of some sort becomes released, your car gets the value of a toaster and good luck with that loan and the heavy negative equity you now have with it if you ever want a newer model.

What I would rather see instead is gas / electric hybrids being the norm, so that way if I ever needed to drive outside the EV range then I dont need to worry about waiting 30 minutes at every charging station.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
TECH Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Another thing is depreciation. From my understanding Electric Vehicles don't depreciate like normal cars, they depreciate more like appliances. Meaning when a vehicle with more range, a better battery, or upgrades of some sort becomes released, your car gets the value of a toaster
That's absurd and non-factual. The market for a used toaster is practically non-existent but there is clearly a market for used electric vehicles just like all other cars. Some might depreciate faster than others, but that is a combination of many factors. Teslas hold onto their value quite well compared to other cars.

Quote:
good luck with that loan and the heavy negative equity you now have with it if you ever want a newer model.
Anyone that gets themselves into a situation where they have heavy negative equity on a car note is an idiot and tried to buy way more car then they could afford.
infinitebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #3

I would love to own an electric vehicle (Tesla S or 3, Bolt, etc.), but it would have to be in addition to my current lineup. The biggest issue I have at this point is that if you do go on a road trip vacation, it takes a lot longer to recharge your car than to add gas to the tank.

The other thing that concerns me is that with gas powered vehicles, they can be running rough for X/Y/Z reasons, yet you can still "limp" it to the shop or to your destination. While I'm not certain, I get the feeling that an electric car will have a lot of built-in protections that wouldn't allow a similar situation to work. As in, the car senses there is a problem and "bricks" like a cell phone until it can be serviced.

Overall, I love the concept of electric vehicles but feel it is still too early to jump into the market. I would really like to pick up a lightly used Cadillac ELR as a commuter, but I have concerns about longevity and repair costs.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
I would really like to pick up a lightly used Cadillac ELR as a commuter, but I have concerns about longevity and repair costs.
As much as I like the looks of them, I think that would be an expensive mistake even if you got a great deal on it. I doubt they'll age well.

I would love to have an electric car (Tesla) as 98% of my driving is around town and I spend about $150+/mo on gas. It would then be nice to have a giant tank like a suburban for comfortable long range travel. But you could also rent one for much less cost overall.
BudRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
On The Tree

The Tesla model X and S are very nice looking cars, as Fury stated though, I think it's still to early to get into the electric vehicle market. I want to see if any problems come up, or if they will find a way to increase the amount of miles are car will be able to make it on a full charge. Im curious to see where electric cars will be in the next decade. I could see myself owning one sometime down the line.
Ls1Ryan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitebird View Post
That's absurd and non-factual. The market for a used toaster is practically non-existent but there is clearly a market for used electric vehicles just like all other cars. Some might depreciate faster than others, but that is a combination of many factors. Teslas hold onto their value quite well compared to other cars.
Hmmm... What I intended to imply was that they lose alot of their resell value pretty quickly...not so much that they're not in demand, but it that it may be a huge financial pinch if you were to buy one brand new or close to new.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...so-fast-265682

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/09/03...tomorrow-2020/

https://blog.caranddriver.com/evs-ar...resale-values/

---

..and by that I mean.. much more than a gasoline car, in either case new cars are not good investments financially - but EV's seem to be much worse in this arena.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
LS1Tech Administrator

Not something I can see myself owning yet, especially not soon as their long term durability isn't proven to my satisfaction (just too few examples still, and I tend to keep cars for a long time.) I don't think the wife or I will be in the market for a new daily driver for many years, so it's not even on our radar. As for toys, I definitely wouldn't want one for that purpose.

I tend to stay way behind on technology, for example I still have a flip phone. I'll be the guy with the last gas powered car on the road I imagine.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #8
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
Not something I can see myself owning yet, especially not soon as their long term durability isn't proven to my satisfaction (just too few examples still, and I tend to keep cars for a long time.) I don't think the wife or I will be in the market for a new daily driver for many years, so it's not even on our radar. As for toys, I definitely wouldn't want one for that purpose.

I tend to stay way behind on technology, for example I still have a flip phone. I'll be the guy with the last gas powered car on the road I imagine.
how old is the flip phone?
Old 12-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitebird View Post
That's absurd and non-factual. The market for a used toaster is practically non-existent but there is clearly a market for used electric vehicles just like all other cars.
You'd be surprised at how many used toasters I sell.

As for an electric car, no I can't see myself driving one until I am absolutely forced to do so. 300 mile range doesn't really bother me, my truck only gets about 50 more miles, but there is nothing even remotely cool about electric vehicles.
JC316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudRacing View Post
As much as I like the looks of them, I think that would be an expensive mistake even if you got a great deal on it. I doubt they'll age well.

I would love to have an electric car (Tesla) as 98% of my driving is around town and I spend about $150+/mo on gas. It would then be nice to have a giant tank like a suburban for comfortable long range travel. But you could also rent one for much less cost overall.
I agree with you on the ELR. One of the best looking cars in their lineup in a long time, but a drivetrain that I'm just not sold on (CVT transmissions...) and I'm unsure on longevity and repair costs.

I also agree with you in that most of my driving is short, local trips (I average about 5-6K miles per year). The holiday travel, since it is on everyone's mind this time of year, would definitely require something a bit bigger and capable of handling a Midwest snowfall. Renting is an option I had considered, but it really starts to cut into the cost savings of not having to buy gas the rest of the year.

A new "leasing" model is starting to stir in the automotive world, and Volvo's deal has caught my attention. $600/month for a new XC40. Cost includes insurance and ALL maintenance (includes wipers, wear parts, etc.). You are locked into it for 2 years, similar to a cell phone, and unlike a lease there is no purchase option at the end of the term. I think if Tesla would go this route, it would be enough for me to consider getting into a new Model 3 (assuming they can build them). Leasing/Volvo's plan seems to me like the best way to get into an electric vehicle, for now.
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
TECH Senior Member

Once its cost effective, **** yes. Who wouldnt want the ease of maintenance alone. I have a 4 cyl commuter car now that handles back and forth to work and errands. I did buy it reasonably cheap. Once an electric fits in that category I will jump right on board.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic

They're gay and I'm too much of a man to drive one.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #13
Village Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
They're gay and I'm too...
... is all I needed to read.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #14
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
They're gay and I'm too much of a man to drive one.
I strongly disagree with both of those statements.

Ok.. now that my comedy career is finished, I would not hesitate to drive or purchase an electric car. That is, when the technology has been a bit more perfected. Working construction takes me all over my area and always racks up higher fuel bills. Even with my 4 cyl beater. Electric cars certainly have my attention. On the flip side, it must be quite an odd feeling to never stop for gas.
black sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss rrr View Post
... Is all i needed to read.
lol...
BrntWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by black sky View Post
I strongly disagree with both of those statements.

Ok.. now that my comedy career is finished, I would not hesitate to drive or purchase an electric car. That is, when the technology has been a bit more perfected. Working construction takes me all over my area and always racks up higher fuel bills. Even with my 4 cyl beater. Electric cars certainly have my attention. On the flip side, it must be quite an odd feeling to never stop for gas.
Well as it stands currently an EV will have you stopping more frequently for recharging than the average car would for gasoline. What I personally feel so odd about EV's is ... ... no sound, no RPM's, no transmission or shifting.. just absolute silent movement. It's the most eerie feeling I've felt when driving one.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #17
TECH Senior Member

Go drive an LP forklift then drive an electric one. No comparison, electric is boss for ease of use, torque, and maintenance.....it wouldnt spin the tires like the LP one would when you neutral dropped it though
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 AM   #18
LS1Tech Administrator

Quote:
how old is the flip phone?
I got it in 2013 I think, it's an older LG design but they still sell one similar to it. I'll be using it until the battery stops taking a charge or there is no longer a network to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
As for an electric car, no I can't see myself driving one until I am absolutely forced to do so.
This is my feeling as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
A new "leasing" model is starting to stir in the automotive world, and Volvo's deal has caught my attention. $600/month for a new XC40. Cost includes insurance and ALL maintenance (includes wipers, wear parts, etc.). You are locked into it for 2 years, similar to a cell phone, and unlike a lease there is no purchase option at the end of the term.
$14.4k seems like a lot of money, even with everything included, to not own anything after two years. Perhaps that's no worse than the depreciation hit one would realize if they actually bought a comparable brand new car and then sold it two years later, but I personally wouldn't do that either. Is there a mileage limitation? Most new cars shouldn't need much in the way of maintenance in the first two years unless you drive the hell out of it, so there might not be much value there. As for insurance, I'm sure there must be fine print excluding high risk folks with horrible driving records and such, so maybe not a ton of real value there either.
RPM WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #19
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post

$14.4k seems like a lot of money, even with everything included, to not own anything after two years. Perhaps that's no worse than the depreciation hit one would realize if they actually bought a comparable brand new car and then sold it two years later, but I personally wouldn't do that either. Is there a mileage limitation? Most new cars shouldn't need much in the way of maintenance in the first two years unless you drive the hell out of it, so there might not be much value there. As for insurance, I'm sure there must be fine print excluding high risk folks with horrible driving records and such, so maybe not a ton of real value there either.
I agree 100%. That isn't even remotely worth it to me, financially. It makes me feel like all the new EULA's in software and video games that state you never actually own the software, and they can revoke your rights to using it anytime even though you paid full price. (I'm not sure if the EULA would hold up in court, because I know that EULA are not legally binding if they break the law, they are just written by their legal team to cover the company's asses the best they can. Even if you click "[x] I agree." to a World of Warcraft updated EULA that says they own your kids for slavery, that doesn't mean Blizzard owns your kids for slavery because that isn't legally applicable.) Anyways, I've never been a fan of leasing in the first place because I like to own what I work my *** off for. But that's just me.

To answer the question directly, I would never have ONLY an electric vehicle. I would still want a performance dinosaur burner, whether it's my TransAm or a Viper or Corvette, or even a V10 R8 if I can ever afford one. But to switch it up and keep the mileage down on my toys, I wouldn't mind something different... the problem is electric bills run just as high as gas so I would want to have Solar panels just to power the house or car. I did drive a hybrid 2017 Prius-C for work, and even though it had the ***** of Caitlyn Jenner, it was still a smooth ride... and kind of fascinating how you watch it on the little screen how it would switch between the two power plants, and the brakes (and then gas engine) would charge the electric battery back up.

Last edited by SouthernRex; 12-07-2017 at 08:21 AM.
SouthernRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #20
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRex View Post
I agree 100%. That isn't even remotely worth it to me, financially. It makes me feel like all the new EULA's in software and video games that state you never actually own the software, and they can revoke your rights to using it anytime even though you paid full price. (I'm not sure if the EULA would hold up in court, because I know that EULA are not legally binding if they break the law, they are just written by their legal team to cover the company's asses the best they can. Even if you click "[x] I agree." to a World of Warcraft updated EULA that says they own your kids for slavery, that doesn't mean Blizzard owns your kids for slavery because that isn't legally applicable.) Anyways, I've never been a fan of leasing in the first place because I like to own what I work my *** off for. But that's just me.

To answer the question directly, I would never have ONLY an electric vehicle. I would still want a performance dinosaur burner, whether it's my TransAm or a Viper or Corvette, or even a V10 R8 if I can ever afford one. But to switch it up and keep the mileage down on my toys, I wouldn't mind something different... the problem is electric bills run just as high as gas so I would want to have Solar panels just to power the house or car. I did drive a hybrid 2017 Prius-C for work, and even though it had the ***** of Caitlyn Jenner, it was still a smooth ride... and kind of fascinating how you watch it switch between the two power plants, and the brakes (and then gas engine) would charge the electric battery back up.
I just skip right through 99% of those and check I accept / I agree, I'm probably owned by 10 different monopolies committing 20 different treason's by now.