Why do bracket cars.... - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices

Why do bracket cars....

Old 05-14-2018, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Default Why do bracket cars....

Since the beginning days of me coming to the track '96 I've noticed something strange, that doesn't seem to be changing with time. It's those bracket cars, you know. .. the ones we all hate waiting for when we're in the staging lanes. Why is it that the typical high powered supercharged/turbo car can dive deep into 8 second territory on a 275 radial, but the bracket car that might run a high 10 at best (while making all kinds of racket)....needs a 3220 slick to hook?? Seems the thing would run faster with less tire and gear. Anyone have the answer?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Consistency is the key with bracket racing, not necessarily speed. Slicks are going to give you the most consistent hook. You don't need slicks to run 10s, but the more consistent racer has an advantage in bracket racing because he knows how hard he can push it without falling behind or breaking out.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Launching!

I ******* hate bracket racing and bracket cars. It's always fun when I get lined up next to a back halfed, big tire wheelie bar car and gap the **** out of them with stock suspension and 8.5s.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

I've always had a strong dislike of those bracket cars, for many reasons.
1. Everytime you look up, they are dumping something on the track.
2. They make all kinds of noise, and are RARELY fast.
3. Seems they run them for two hours straight, before they run the fast stuff (street cars).
4. Kinda goes worth #2, they sit in the pits winging the throttle for what seems like an eternity, while you are trying to speak with someone about their fast car (street car).
5. The logic behind spending money on a car, just to have it run the exact same time....everytime. Seems, at least for me anyway... the fun comes from having the car go faster everytime you go to the track.
6. They all have those same ugly heat retaining wheels, centerlines.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

^ #2 and #4 are so true.

Especially #4. It's like shut your heap down! They are dragging the track and it's going to be a half hour.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by infinitebird View Post
Consistency is the key with bracket racing, not necessarily speed. Slicks are going to give you the most consistent hook. You don't need slicks to run 10s, but the more consistent racer has an advantage in bracket racing because he knows how hard he can push it without falling behind or breaking out.
I get that, the concept of it. Ok, so since its not so much the speed that matters to those guys, why can't they put mufflers on the car? That way you don't go deaf when hanging out close to the burnout box/tree as they do their Warren Johnston burnout.... only to run a low 11. And to be clear, nothing wrong with running 11s......unless you're driving an all out racecar, which is what I call a bracket car.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

I love bracket racing. It's all about the driver. A good friend of mine has a nice '68 GTO bracket car. He just put a new engine in it, but the previous 350 was in it for 11 years or so. All he ever did was change the oil every season and new plugs every 2 years. It ran dead consistent 7.5's in the 1/8th. Pull it off of the trailer and leave the dial-in from last week. He won the track championship last year, and he has won all sorts of money events with it. He's won well over $10,000 with that car. You can't do that at the test-n-tune.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Restricted User

Bracket cars are all about consistency. Its about running within .01 seconds pass after pass. The faster you go, the harder it is to be consistent.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joelster View Post
I love bracket racing. It's all about the driver. A good friend of mine has a nice '68 GTO bracket car. He just put a new engine in it, but the previous 350 was in it for 11 years or so. All he ever did was change the oil every season and new plugs every 2 years. It ran dead consistent 7.5's in the 1/8th. Pull it off of the trailer and leave the dial-in from last week. He won the track championship last year, and he has won all sorts of money events with it. He's won well over $10,000 with that car. You can't do that at the test-n-tune.
But you can running heads up, where the racing is actually cool.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Gotta run open headers too. You know....to sound like a real bad ***.

I'd rather run 10.80's through a clean sounding full exhaust than 10.60's through open headers while sounding like every other ******* retarded redneck at the track that night.

Don't forget. You gotta put a bunch of "Jegs", "MSD", "Steve's Ring & Pinion" or "Jimbo's Paint & Body" stickers all over the side of your bracket car if you want to run with the big boys. Also, don't bathe or wash your hair but once a week and find yourself a fat wife who likes to cuss and listen to Bon Jovi tapes.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post

I'd rather run 10.80's through a clean sounding full exhaust than 10.60's through open headers while sounding like every other ******* retarded redneck at the track that night.

Don't forget. You gotta put a bunch of "Jegs", "MSD", "Steve's Ring & Pinion" or "Jimbo's Paint & Body" stickers all over the side of your bracket car if you want to run with the big boys. Also, don't bathe or wash your hair but once a week and find yourself a fat wife who likes to cuss and listen to Bon Jovi tapes.
Wow.....
Old 05-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Don't forget to wear your pajama pants!! Because your tube chassis race car with all the safety equipment doesn't actually go fast enough to require you to wear fire rated pants. Go figure.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post

I forgot to mention stickers lol. Also need to have your name in cool color letters on both lexan windows too
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Village Troll

To me they're like harley ****. Couple of decades ago there was some King Street bracket race thing going on which was open to all at Ennis in Texas. Friend of mine who just wanted to race instead of waiting around for them signed up and won with his bolt-on M6 Camaro. The butt hurt and stank eyed reactions from the trailer queen bracket owners were ******* priceless with some 20something "punk kid....." The prize? A ******* jacket. He put it on and walked around the pits as if taking a victory lap.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not all bracket racers are anywhere like described here. We've got bracket cars that run consistently in the 4s in the 1/8th in a door slammer. No electronics. Foot brake only.

James Goad (Reaper) made an appearance here last year and had an open challenge for any car there and was gapped by a foot brake bracket car running mid high 4s.

If you really want to hear and see some stupid stuff hang around the test n tune/ no prep crowd. The hot shots need an entourage with a guy talking smack that doesn't own a car, and they're currently building a car that will run low 3s on a 175 radial because they know how to make 2000 hp on a 5.3 running E85... and that's before the 1,000 nitrous shot. It's running but they didn't want to bring it out tonight. Just wait till they do... just wait... just keep waiting...

and waiting...
Old 05-18-2018, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jhshnh View Post
Not all bracket racers are anywhere like described here. We've got bracket cars that run consistently in the 4s in the 1/8th in a door slammer. No electronics. Foot brake only.

James Goad (Reaper) made an appearance here last year and had an open challenge for any car there and was gapped by a foot brake bracket car running mid high 4s.

If you really want to hear and see some stupid stuff hang around the test n tune/ no prep crowd. The hot shots need an entourage with a guy talking smack that doesn't own a car, and they're currently building a car that will run low 3s on a 175 radial because they know how to make 2000 hp on a 5.3 running E85... and that's before the 1,000 nitrous shot. It's running but they didn't want to bring it out tonight. Just wait till they do... just wait... just keep waiting...

and waiting...
One thing I noticed about no prep/grudge races in the hood is, it's guaranteed to be a hunk of junk '85 cutlass/lemans on nitrous.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sw07gt View Post
But you can running heads up, where the racing is actually cool.
Cool for the spectator for sure.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Typical bracket car, those solid plain wheels...stickers all over the thing, and probably no exhaust. Pulls the wheels about 8 inches, after that....dead fish for the rest of the 1300ft. All the while making deafening noise as it meanders down the track.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
One thing I noticed about no prep/grudge races in the hood is, it's guaranteed to be a hunk of junk '85 cutlass/lemans on nitrous.
...and those heavy g body doors will barely close because of the sag!

Speaking of slow cars at the track, I've seen a lot of street cars with power adders cut 1.9 60s and run low 12s... but they're quick to tell you they're putting down over 600 rwhp. But I'm not complaining, I've outran many of them with my stock ls1.

But it it does get annoying when they puke water from hot lapping over and over or start their burnouts in the water box.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Typical bracket car, those solid plain wheels...stickers all over the thing, and probably no exhaust. Pulls the wheels about 8 inches, after that....dead fish for the rest of the 1300ft. All the while making deafening noise as it meanders down the track.
lmao on point

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: