Hot rod word(s) incorrect usage rant - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices

Hot rod word(s) incorrect usage rant

Old 06-29-2018, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Default Hot rod word(s) incorrect usage rant

I have something that bothers me. Why, I donít know. Maybe because it sounds so stupid and makes no sense? Anyways. Iím 41, I canít really say Iím from the old school, but I guess older that some of these cats getting into the new age hot rodding. Maybe these young guys werenít told any different and had to come up with their own terminology, so thatís understandable. But please. Stop. Stop saying your going to ďforgeĒ you motor. No, your not going to melt it down and shape it into something. Your going to put stronger internals. Or, your putting a forged crank and h beam rods and forged pistons. But no, your not melting it down and forging it. Next. Cammed. This sounds so dumb. Well golly gee Bob, Iím gonna cam my car. His car is cammed. No, his car isnít crooked or awry. His car is not in a manipulative relationship. It has a cam in it. Thatís it. Or Itís got a cam. And lastly. Drag pack. Wut? Heís got a drag pack. No, not unless he bought a demon and added the drag package, then yea I guess itís ok to shorten it to a drag pack. But if you donít have a demon and you have drag wheels on your car, you have what we call ďfats and skinniesĒ or drag wheels.

So repeat after me......I have a built motor. I have a built motor. He has a cam. Heís got fats and skinnies or drag wheels.

Rant over. No offense meant because Iím sure you guys just didnít know. But now you do.

P.s. I created this thread just to have a little fun, so letís not fight. Ok.....ok.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post
So repeat after me......I have a built motor. I have a built motor. He has a cam. He’s got fats and skinnies or drag wheels.
I hate when people say "Motor" instead of "Engine".

Motors run on electricity. Engines run on combustion.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fuhnortoner View Post

well.......

Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well.......

Well being raised in the industrial world building power plants we never called a 7500 hp Forced draft fan motor a engine. I guess with todays Hybrid cars we need to rethink motor vs engine
Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Old 06-29-2018, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Except an engine is a type of motor. Motor is just a general term, it's a rotating device that creates motion via electrical or gasoline energy.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Well when General Motors got named back in 1908 Iím pretty sure they referring to electric motors.

When you call someone a motor head, Iím pretty sure your not calling them that because they are into electric motors.

When they nicknamed Detroit motor city Iím pretty sure they werenít referring to electric cars.

And heres merriam-Webster official definition. Of notable mention, itís says ESPECIALLY a gasoline engine. Hmmm. Lol

Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by R6cowboy View Post
Except an engine is a type of motor. Motor is just a general term, it's a rotating device that creates motion via electrical or gasoline energy.
exactly.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Since we are ranting about terms and such, I'd like to take this opportunity to again remind folks that gear ratios are expressed in this fashion:

3.42:1 or, more simply, 3.42.

On the other hand, "3:42" is NOT a gear ratio (or, if it was, it's not one that you'd ever want) - it's a time of day.

Much like expressing a compression ratio of 10.5:1, nobody would ever say that it was a "10:5" engine - so I don't know why there is such confusion about proper expression of gear ratios. It is simply not correct to interchange the decimal point and the colon in either example.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post
Since we are ranting about terms and such, I'd like to take this opportunity to again remind folks that gear ratios are expressed in this fashion:

On the other hand, "3:42" is NOT a gear ratio (or, if it was, it's not one that you'd ever want) - it's a time of day.

Much like expressing a compression ratio of 10.5:1, nobody would ever say that it was a "10:5" engine - so I don't know why there is such confusion about proper expression of gear ratios. It is simply not correct to interchange the decimal point and the colon in either example.

i agree. However I havenít noticed this, probably because I wasnít paying attention. Now Iím going to notice it and itís going to become another peeve of mine. So thanks for that. Lmao
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I worked at power plant with submarine diesel engines as backup power. With ex-navy guys who served on the older diesel-electric submarines. It was diesel engines and electric motors. The difference was how power was created. An engine creates power from its inputs and a motor transfers power.

Last edited by Felix C; 06-29-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post

not sure why as I know this to be correct, but completely refer to gears as 3.73's. I guess I subconsciously think of it as an abbreviation ?

Old 06-29-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I worked at power plant with submarine diesel engines as backup power. With ex-navy guys who served on the older diesel-electric submarines. It was diesel engines and electric motors. The difference was how power was created. An engine creates power from its inputs and a motor transfers power.
I see what you're getting at, but both electric motors and gasoline/diesel engines create the same exact thing, mechanical energy.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

I feel like most car people know when you say "it has a cam in it", you mean an aftermarket cam.

But I can't fault you. I get real stupid over things like people calling magazines clips, or semi-automatic rifles "assault rifles." Or assault rifles "machine guns."
Old 06-29-2018, 07:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

i agree. However I haven’t noticed this, probably because I wasn’t paying attention. Now I’m going to notice it and it’s going to become another peeve of mine. So thanks for that. Lmao
Haha...sorry. I see it quite often around here, but elsewhere around the internet as well.

Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post
not sure why as I know this to be correct, but completely refer to gears as 3.73's. I guess I subconsciously think of it as an abbreviation ?
Using "3.73s" is fine, nothing wrong with that as you're just dropping the " :1" portion (of 3.73:1), which is typical (even within OEM references) and already implied if you're speaking to anyone who understands gear ratios. Same would be true with a compression ratio; writing "10.5 compression" (instead of the full 10.5:1) is fine because you're again just dropping the already-implied " :1" from the figure.

The problem is when folks start swapping in a colon where a decimal point should be. So "3:73 [using a colon]", for example, is not at all correct and just looks silly - it's as though you're expressing that you have a 3.00:73 gear ratio. However, shortening it to "3.73 [using a decimal point]", as you suggested above, still makes sense and is correct.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Once had a car with a blower on it. She sure did suck! Lol.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:32 PM
Village Troll

I dunno. I've always used "motor/engine" depending on which comes to mind first and understand if someone says "forged bottom end/rotating assy/internals...." Seems pretty silly for that to be a bother.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm going to forge my 3:73 gears.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think this is just a generation issue. I got into cars at about 20 so almost ten years ago and it was way different than what my dad always talked about. First off I couldn't understand why a car that runs 8s in the 1/8th mile needs open headers and a back half car on slicks when on the street we do it with full exhaust and drag radials. All of.these complaints come up regularly on the street scene. When someone asks u what mods u have it's simple your either cammed,heads, heads and cam, stock bottom end, built bottom end, gear swapped drag pack, or stock wheels or your boosted or spraying I know none of these are the correct terminology but as gear heads it's a language we all understand not sure why it's a bother. You want to know what is a bother hearing about the motor u had with double hump heads 3/4 cam and ratchet shifter. That **** is old I get that was considered cool once with all the stp stickers making 20hp but it's not the same **** now
Old 06-29-2018, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

This, its always driven me nuts too lol. i see the definitions already posted, but it will always bug me

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: