Notices

Does your F-Body still turn heads on the street?

Old 09-07-2018, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Does your F-Body still turn heads on the street?

So I go to a nearby club every once in a while and people typically always roll up in their nicest cars. It's normal to see high end cars like Porsches, BMWs, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc.. So since my Camaro is my only decent car, I got her all cleaned up and headed out. To my surprise it did turn quite a couple heads at the club. I don't know if it was because it seemed out of place among the exotic cars or because people just didn't know what it was, but it felt good to know the old girl still got it in her. Does your F-body still catch people's attention even after all these years?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:30 AM
Launching!

My 2001 Trans am ws6 seems to be a neck breaker lol a lot of the time. But most people look at it like what's that, or they haven't seen one in a while. I especially love the look on the little kids faces too. My daughters cheerleading friends call it the Batmodile. It definitely has aged well, timeless design. Even the Camaro looks great in my book.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Camaro is far from perfect. She's got a lot of miles and it shows to a degree. However I've had countless compliments from coworkers and a fair number of looks from pedestrians as I'm coming and going. Like WS6 said, these cars have a fairly timeless design, and are rare enough that you don't see them everywhere.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

^like happysalesman said, mines also not great looking. has clearcoat peeling on the driverside rear quarter panel and paint chips here and there but a few weeks ago while driving and pulled up to a red light the car to my left was a lil kid about 8-12 years old sitting shotgun looked over at me and told me awesome looking car. as chilled as I was I gave him the thumbs up in reply and drove on my merry way, made my day.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

My son is 9 and kids at his school think i drive a Lamborghini when i drop him off.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
My son is 9 and kids at his school think i drive a Lamborghini when i drop him off.
That's awesome. My son and all his friends call mine a "race car"
Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, sure does. I think the red helps.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01WS6BLACKLS1
My 2001 Trans am ws6 seems to be a neck breaker lol a lot of the time. But most people look at it like what's that, or they haven't seen one in a while. I especially love the look on the little kids faces too. My daughters cheerleading friends call it the Batmodile. It definitely has aged well, timeless design. Even the Camaro looks great in my book.
The WS6 definitely looks like it could be a Batmobile! Especially if it's in black like yours!
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

And even though F-bodies are still dirt cheap I guess it's cool to know we have something uncommon on the streets. Imagine how the 5th gen and 6th gen Camaro guys feel. They see another car just like theirs every other block 😂
Old 09-07-2018, 11:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I get comments and compliments frequently. It's uncanny to me, since to me these cars are "modern" (compared to my GTO's which will turn 50 next year). But the fact is, you don't see that many on the road anymore. 15 years ago they were everywhere. Now I always take note when I see one.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll add that back around 1990 in San Diego when I'd pull up to one of the "hotspots" in my 70 GTO Judge, it would create much more of a sensation than any of the exotics. I think that only a really slick WS6 could pull that off today.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Mine gets a lot of looks and thumbs up when I can get it out. The scary part is when I am out cruising and some people are looking so hard at the that they start to drift toward me.
That has happened several times.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. 1998 WS6. I get a TON of attention for it. It isn't perfect, (like RPM said once, you can't have a car show car, race toy, and daily driver all in one car and be top dog at any one of these), but I do keep my car as detailed as possible and paint waxed etc.

It varies from young "Wow, what is that???", to old "I had a '79 FireBird, back in my day." Both are fun conversations.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Hey RPM.. Do you have any pics of your Camaro? I read how clean and pristine you keep it.. Iím sure itís a time capsule..
Old 09-08-2018, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

91 RS, 99 TA & 02 Z28 all turn heads.

The 02 Z28 definitely lagged behind the other two other cars until the heads lights & grill were replaced.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of attention the 3rd & 4th Gen's get these days.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I feel like the WS6s definitely get more attention than 4th gen Camaros...
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

01 ss and mine gets alot of attention mainly due to the fact its cammed i believe. I get asked if i want to sell it at least once a month. It does surprise me that it gets quite a bit of attention
Old 09-09-2018, 02:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernRex View Post
It isn't perfect, (like RPM said once, you can't have a car show car, race toy, and daily driver all in one car and be top dog at any one of these), but I do keep my car as detailed as possible and paint waxed etc.
This is how I've ended up with sometimes two 4th gens at once. But there's nothing wrong with having a single well-rounded car either; it's just a matter of preference, personal goals and the subjective nature of this hobby.

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1 View Post
Hey RPM.. Do you have any pics of your Camaro? I read how clean and pristine you keep it.. I’m sure it’s a time capsule..

This was taken at an event several years ago, but the car is unchanged since that time. I do try my best to retain that "time capsule" experience with this car, but it's been driven 18k miles on public roadways so it certainly has some flaws under close inspection - though it has consistently scored in the high 90s at points judged events:

Originally Posted by INFERNY View Post
I feel like the WS6s definitely get more attention than 4th gen Camaros...
I would tend to agree with this, unless the WS6 is a particularly mild color (such a pewter) vs. a wild color on the Camaro (such as Hugger Orange, etc.) My '00 WS6 got more attention when it was still a brand new car than my '98 Camaro gets today at 20 years old. But those two cars put together still don't get noticed even half as much as my '71 does.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I put my Sunoco hood on my Camaro... the attention went to a new level.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Side note. Everyone that comes over knows I race. The car is always in the garage but you can see it. Most non-car enthusiasts (older relatives, UPS man etc) never really mention it. It's just this thing that's always there, like background decoration. Ever since I put the parachute on, it still sits the exact same but literally everyone has mentioned, "oh you must race huh". Seriously like even jehovah's witnesses. Pretty amazing one simple thing changes how the masses view something.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: