Anybody go from a 4 gen to a 6 gen SS? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices

Anybody go from a 4 gen to a 6 gen SS?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Default Anybody go from a 4 gen to a 6 gen SS?

There are very few cars that appeal to me enough to get rid of my TA but I'm really taking a liking to the 2018 SS. I've been doing some research and some of the negatives seem to be poor quality paint and possibly problems with the new LT1. I'm considering test driving one soon but I wanna get other opinions from you guys. Did a google search and didnt find this topic on here yet. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fourth-Gen Man View Post
There are very few cars that appeal to me enough to get rid of my TA but I'm really taking a liking to the 2018 SS. I've been doing some research and some of the negatives seem to be poor quality paint and possibly problems with the new LT1. I'm considering test driving one soon but I wanna get other opinions from you guys. Did a google search and didnt find this topic on here yet. Thanks.
Yes I have. I've owned 7 or so 4th gen's and now own an 18 1SS 6 speed. The 6th gen is night and day over the 4th, more comfortable, the power is exceptional, the handling is so very much better, and it's more comfortable. The back seat is more useless than the 4th gen, the paint chips if you look at it funny, and the clutch is all or nothing. 1600 miles so far and no issues with the LT1. Interior has some rattles, but nothing compared to the 4th gen's I've owned.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

One of my friends has had three 4th Gen's, 94 TA, 97 TA & 00 FireHawk all of which were stick shift. The 94 & 97 were sold and he seemed happy to be rid of the LT1's and Opti spark & reverse cooling issues.

He decided to buy a 2018 2SS auto A8. He said he's amazed at the A8, power, brakes & handling. I suspected he would regret not getting stick shift but still seems delighted with the A8 auto. He ended up liking the info-tainment system. He never much cared for that sort of thing in his 2011 vette of 2009 G8. He complained about the rear visibility until he got used to the car which took about a month with it being a weekend car. Other than a side marker lamp had a bulb burn out the car has had no issues over the last year. His only gripe is the car is harder to get in and out of than his G8. He drive the G8 more because it's easier to get in and out. This seems to have become a more important issue since he turned fifty. Overall, he seems happy but not delighted with the brand new car. Being a die-hard Pontiac guy, I think he's still annoyed Pontiac is gone and that the car is a Camaro and not a Firebird / TA / FireHawk.

My experience riding in the 2018 2SS is that as a passenger is about 10 times more comfortable than a 4th Gen. Mostly due to the floor pan Ride, wind noise, being rattle free with better factory audio over the 6th Gen seems like a much better car.
​​​​​​
He kept the FireHawk and has no intention to sale the LS1 4th Gen. When this car was purchased used in 2001 with 20k miles, he was delighted with the car.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

I'm not denying the 6th gen is smooth, but what are all you guys doing to your 4th gens to get all these rattles?? Mine is a 94 hardtop and I don't have one rattle or any wind noise or squeaks or anything. And the car is not exactly stock anymore either.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Launch View Post
I'm not denying the 6th gen is smooth, but what are all you guys doing to your 4th gens to get all these rattles?? Mine is a 94 hardtop and I don't have one rattle or any wind noise or squeaks or anything. And the car is not exactly stock anymore either.
For me, it's not so much the rattles, although I'm sure it has some. It's the red wagon like ride, in comparison to my '17 Maxima, love my car.... but the ride sucks.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have owned an 02 Z28, and two 99 Trans Ams including the one in my signature. In January of this year I purchased a 2016 2SS A8 in Nightfall Grey Metallic with only 9,000 miles on it. It's fully loaded(has mag ride and NPP) minus the sun roof.

The car is amazing. I love every single thing about it. Only thing I prefer from the 4th Gen is the T-Tops and the backseat was bigger.

​​​​

​​​​​​
​​​

Last edited by thislswon; 12-04-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

I've said this before myself.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by thislswon View Post
I have owned an 02 Z28, and two 99 Trans Ams including the one in my signature. In January of this year I purchased a 2016 2SS A8 in Nightfall Grey Metallic with only 9,000 miles on it. It's fully loaded(has mag ride and NPP) minus the sun roof.

The car is amazing. I love every single thing about it. Only thing I prefer from the 4th Gen is the T-Tops and the backseat was was bigger.

​​​​

​​​​​​
​​​
Who ever thought we'd look at the back seat of the 4th Gen and think it would be considered bigger than anything, ever? Lol.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:52 PM
On the tree

I owned a 1982 Camaro, 1989 Formula 350, 2001 Formula and now a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE that is Procharged with a D1SC.

I also owned a 2008 Corvette Z51 as well before this Camaro. I will say hands down, the 6th gen Camaro SS platform is one of the best cars made to date. Each model year refinement makes the Camaro that much harder to move past to a Corvette. The handling is second to none, even the base SS suspension is able to handle most cars on the road, add the 1LE package to the Camaro SS and it is leaps and bounds ahead of the other cars.

I dont mind the next part, but the backseat is worthless in the 6th gen. No way I would put a kid back there much less an adult. I plan on doing the rear seat delete on my car next year.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Damn. I wasnt expecting that many people to like it that much better. I'm definitely aiming for magnetic ride. I'll check one out soon. I'm digging the 2018s more than the 2019s. Gonna be really hard if I gotta let the WS6 go though.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Never had issues with rattles in any of my 4th gens, from delivery mileage all the way to 100k+, except for a t-top rattle in my '02 car when the outside temps were well below freezing - and it would go away as soon as the interior warmed up a bit. On the other hand, my hardtop 3rd gen had plenty of rattles under any conditions.

As for the OP's question, I know a couple local guys who have made the switch. The biggest reliability issue seems to be with the auto transmission; torque converter failure was the problem. I know this was an issue for '16-'17 models, not sure if they got this sorted out on the newer ones.

6th gen is a great performer but the styling has kept me away, and I certainly wouldn't trade my garage queen 4th gen for one as a toy. However, I could see the appeal of a 6th gen as a daily driver with a warranty and plenty of power - especially for those coming from a 4th gen that's pretty beat or used up.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Interesting to see this pop up. I've been thinking about adding one. Initially I thought I'd sell the GTO but now I'm thinking I'd just keep it and have a second/3rd toy
Old 12-05-2018, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6 View Post

6th gen is a great performer but the styling has kept me away, and I certainly wouldn't trade my garage queen 4th gen for one as a toy. However, I could see the appeal of a 6th gen as a daily driver with a warranty and plenty of power - especially for those coming from a 4th gen that's pretty beat or used up.
I know the styling is all preference, as I was not a fan of the 5th Gen but I think they absolutely knocked the styling of the 6th Gen(2016-2018) out of the park.

As far as the transmission issue on the A8, it's a tuning issue. Not a converter issue. They wasted so much money replacing converters and doing flushes only to find out that it was a simple tuning issue. They will begin fixing them in the first quarter of 2019.

Last edited by thislswon; 12-07-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

There will never be a day when in own a 5th...or 6th gen. GM created an instant classic back in '98 with the LS 4th gen. To this day, I STILL act like i've never seen a clean SS...or even a clean Z28 when I see one while I'm out and about, even though I myself own a clean example. IMO GM will never be able to replicate the same magic that they did with the LS 4th gen.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My issue with the new Camaro is the exterior design. Too many waves/undulations here and there.
And Now the front end as well.

I have issues with the LT1/LS3 family. Another story.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

4th Gen rattle and noises - here are a few that are fairly common.

T-tops will definitely rattle in some cases as the weather stripping ages.

​​​​​Passenger seat belt will flop around and rattle.

Since there isn't a cabin filter leaves and stuff can get into the head blower and make noise when it's on.

Window weather stripping is marginal new and with age wind noise pretty common with ttop cars. Closing by the door only helps a little.

Window sealing is fair with good alignment and becomes marginal with wind noise gradually increasing

The velcro definitely helps reduce the dashboard noises compared to 3rd Gen's when hitting a pothole etc.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Village Troll

Only complaint I have with my '96 is the drivers window is loose/makes noise. I had a really bad squeak in the hatch area. Discovered it was the hatch latch. Little lithium grease and it's good to go. No other rattles as of yet. My 3rd gen t-top car was an absolute disaster. Sub-frame cracked around the steering box, which I found out was a notorious issue. At 5 years old it was far worse than my 4th gen is now.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
There will never be a day when in own a 5th...or 6th gen. GM created an instant classic back in '98 with the LS 4th gen. To this day, I STILL act like i've never seen a clean SS...or even a clean Z28 when I see one while I'm out and about, even though I myself own a clean example. IMO GM will never be able to replicate the same magic that they did with the LS 4th gen.
Same. I have zero complaints about how any of the newer cameros look. So far ive liked all iterations until present. But im too much of a snowflake to put myself into one. And with GM killing every car but that, along with talks of ford, plus the challenger and charger, those cars are ever present. At every stoplight its trucks, jeeps, and a hodge podge of cameros mustangs challengers and chargers granted, there not all R/T's, SS's, SRT8's etc etc, but theyre all the same. Saw a clean grand wagoneer the other day and admired it more than anything else ive been seeing. "Dude, Ricks got one clean '18 SS thats fast as hell" yea? who dosent? But i speek from an area that has more money than people know what to do with.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post
Interesting to see this pop up. I've been thinking about adding one. Initially I thought I'd sell the GTO but now I'm thinking I'd just keep it and have a second/3rd toy
Honestly, the 6th gen reminds me a lot of my 05 GTO. The interior quality, how quiet it is, even the visibility is similar. GTO had a far better back seat, a far more useless trunk, and worse handling.

I know the styling is all preference, as I was not a fan of the 5th Gen but I think they absolutely knocked the styling of the 6th Gen out of the park.
You and I have the same opinion. I didn't like the 5th gen all that much, I thought the Mustang and Challenger were way better looking. 6th gen on the other hand, I absolutely love. Challenger is still the best looking, but the price to performance ratio just aint there for it. 6th gen was the best all around car I could find.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

As far as the transmission issue on the A8, it's a tuning issue. Not a converter issue. They wasted so much money replacing converters and doing flushes only to find out that it was a simple tuning issue. They will begin fixing them in the first quarter of 2019.
This is interesting, I haven't been following it closely as I had no plans to buy one, but I've known some locals who've gone through the converter replacement. Odd that it took GM so long to figure out the real problem.

Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
I didn't like the 5th gen all that much, I thought the Mustang and Challenger were way better looking. 6th gen on the other hand, I absolutely love. Challenger is still the best looking, but the price to performance ratio just aint there for it. 6th gen was the best all around car I could find.
The issue for me is that I still find the Mustang and Challenger (especially Challenger) to be better looking than even a 6th gen Camaro, enough so that I just haven't been able to give the nod to Camaro regardless of performance.

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
IMO GM will never be able to replicate the same magic that they did with the LS 4th gen.
I share your excitement with the 4th gens, they've been my greatest automotive love. I found them exciting enough to buy two of them brand new, and I've had at least one at nearly every given moment for the last ~20 years. But we are in the minority; most folks want gadgets, luxury, and refinement/buffering to the point of near-total isolation. Simplicity and any sort of rawness seems to be frowned upon. Much of this is understandable for a daily driver, but not really what I prefer for a toy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: