Quitting smoking - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices

Quitting smoking

Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Quitting smoking

So fellas this has been a heck of a challenge especially when someone or somthing gets on my nerves i get a strong urge to goto the store and grab a pack and it does not help that i been feeling irritable the past couple days according to my quit smoking app im 7days 16hours and 2 minutes smoke free
I have to give props to people that have gone down this road because it is a difficult one this far and if anyone would like to share their story id like to hear it always good to hear some motivation to keep me rollin! This also gives me a valid reason to spend 2,000 a year on the car so theres anther bonus 😆
Old 02-06-2019, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

I've tried many times as most have. Haven't been successful. I tried a handful of vaping devices and all were big disappointments. I went to a local, big smoke shop and talked to the owner for awhile and popped $45 bucks on a Smok V8 device. It's big and puts out a ton of vapor. It has helped me cut back quite a bit. Took a two day trip for an interview last week. 6 hours each way and I only had a handful of cigarettes. If I didn't have this device I would be smoking a pack each way. Was also nice not waking up in a hotel and going outside for a smoke.

It has helped my breathing noticeably as well. I'm tryin something at least...
Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM
Village Troll

Quit a 20 year habit 13 years ago. My motivation was my kids. I started smoking because of my dad and no way in hell did I want them to do the same. I got the flu and was couch ridden for a week. Because I hadn't smoked during that time I decided to roll with it and was successful. For a long time after I was chewing on coffee stir straws and it really helped with the physical part of the addiction. It makes you look like a retard, but it was really effective for me. Bad news is I gained around 40lbs over the next few years, but at least I had successfully quit. The mental part of it that kept me focused was what happened just outside a restaurant. Wife was carrying our son who was around two years old. He was looking back at me and smiling. I stopped to light up and was waiting for them to round the corner. When I stopped the smile ran away from my son's face and he then had a look of concern as to why I was not following. Hit me like a ton of bricks because of the symbolism.
In the years I would quit for about a year using nicotine patches, but because of the car thing and hanging around others who smoked I would soon pick it up again. Just like changing your diet you must make a lifestyle change. If you have friends who do you may need to stay away from them for awhile until you can come to grips with staying smoke free. If you live in a house where people smoke or your close relatives you see constantly do it I don't know what to tell you, but what a gold plated bitch it will be. Fortunately by the time I quit no one close to me smoked so it made it much easier. You need to find something that will help motivate you on a daily basis. It makes all the difference in the world.
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
It has helped my breathing noticeably as well. I'm tryin something at least...
In this day and age, prospective employers may not take too kindly to those who smoke.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Just want to say you are doing a great thing. Very noble. Stay strong. Very good way to look at it getting that extra money toward the car.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Nobody likes a quitter

j/k'in, keep it up homie.
i cold turkied for 4 months once. Then i snapped a large plastic clipboard in half at a meeting infront of everyone because a former army sgtmaj still thought he was a sgtmaj. hes fired now, i should try again.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Have a doc prescribe some wellbutrin for you, it will destroy the urge to smoke, as well as drink.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The hardest part about quitting for me was drinking alcohol. It made me crave the upper while the depressant was at play, lowered my inhibitions, and I was more likely to be around friends that were smoking. After a few months, though, it meant nothing to me. I never had another craving again for the rest of my life.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok View Post
Just want to say you are doing a great thing. Very noble. Stay strong. Very good way to look at it getting that extra money toward the car.
thank you i plan on stickin to this i am a brother to 5 sisters and my fiance and i have been talking about kids so that is some more renforcement for me to give it up and turning 30 last july im not getting younger its time to really start taking care of my body

Originally Posted by TheUrbz View Post
Nobody likes a quitter

j/k'in, keep it up homie.
i cold turkied for 4 months once. Then i snapped a large plastic clipboard in half at a meeting infront of everyone because a former army sgtmaj still thought he was a sgtmaj. hes fired now, i should try again.
thanks man and you should bro!! Its been rough but just in this short of time my breathing feels way better and ive saved some cash so thats always a plus its just these crazy cravings that kick in and its like ugh just gotta get threw this

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Have a doc prescribe some wellbutrin for you, it will destroy the urge to smoke, as well as drink.
If i start losing the will power i will look into that i quit drinking a couple years ago after my father died from liver failure due to his heavy drinking same way my uncle died so that really made me put the bottle down and leave that stuff alone
Originally Posted by SouthernRex View Post
The hardest part about quitting for me was drinking alcohol. It made me crave the upper while the depressant was at play, lowered my inhibitions, and I was more likely to be around friends that were smoking. After a few months, though, it meant nothing to me. I never had another craving again for the rest of my life.
I could only imagine trying to quit smoking while drinking that would be super hard i started smoking while drinking because a friend of mine said it was a good buzz so i tried it and was down hill from there i've quit the drinking now its time to ditch this nasty habbit
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Theres only one way to quit anything and thats to simply stop. Your mind is yours and yours alone and when you "crave" a smoke or anything else for that matter its not YOU or your mind that causes this craving its something foreign to yourself that drives the craving. Weird sounding I know but 100% true so you have to recognize the strength you need to master your battles with addiction are empowered by realizing the strength of this foreign ingredient/bacteria/drug/whatever have hijacked your systems into making you believe that this is somehow YOU, when its not. By recognizing consciously what you are dealing with it gives you a whole lot more power and strength on handling the outcome.

Control your mind and KNOW that every time you take a puff? Some foreign quantam BS is hijacking your mind and you need to fight that back by taking power over your mind once again. This is very difficult to explain but it really does help to use your mind by making yourself aware of what is happening. You NEED to control your mind to eliminate the illusion you addictions have become to control your mind into believing you need that smoke. Even more a second heping of power is served by knowing the desire is surrounded with a bad outcome as SS RRR has articulated he saw right through this critical component of addiction in one very crucial metaphor.

Mind over matter. Stay strong and believe and avoid any situation that increases your temptations. Break up habitual behaviors and schedules that surround your addictions. Focus on tasks and know the cravings wont last, and over time subside greatly. Wishing you and anyone else looking to make personal gains all the best
Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

I read a book, ďThe easy way to quit smokingĒ by Alan Carr. I HIGHLY recommend it, if nothing else as a reinforcement on what great strides you have already made. I myself can list MANY reasons why anyone should quit but ultimately itís up to you. I had started when I was 20, smoked for 8 year(all the while having Asthma). I quit for 3 years and then went back to it stupidly after 1 CIGARETTE, while drinking. Didnít take much and I was back in, smoking less per day but still smoking.

I read a third of that book in May of Ď14 and then stopped reading it. I got to New Years of that year I got a bit sick. I woke up and had a smoke, did a few things and then read the book start to finish in one sitting. I had one cigarette left. Went to my aunts for dinner, came back home and choked 1/2 of that last cigarette down and tossed it. I never really had a SUPER STRONG craving ever again

i will say for the next month and a half I laid low. Didnít drink much, Had OCCASIONAL morning coffees and got to bed early most of the time. All that time never ever got a white knuckled ďI gotta have a smoke NOWĒ feeling. I will confess now that I do get a very very light craving every few months. My mindset st this point is you couldnít pay me $25,000 to smoke another. The rabbit hole is deep and dark

good luck Buddy!! Just remember you can overcome anything and your last/next cigarette is just a gateway to the next one so donít do it!! It will get easier!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post

In this day and age, prospective employers may not take too kindly to those who smoke.
True. When I first graduated and got a job at an accounting firm in Manhattan. I used to go downstairs to smoke like 5 times a day. I figured, I'm an adult, lots of other people do it.... When I got my first review it was mostly good, but the HR director told me people have noticed me going down stairs to smoke with a cup of coffee in my hand and my sunglasses on my shirt. Said I looked like I was going to the beach. Started smoking only during lunch hour.

Next job in private I would go out a few times a day and walk behind the building. Had people see me a couple of times and was embarrassed. Stopped smoking except during lunch. And I pretty much kept to that. Then got bigger roles and got busier, started bringing my lunch and stopped smoking at work altogether. I hide the fact that I smoke and when people find out they are surprised.

So yeah, I get annoyed when I see other people doing it. And realize it's a big turn off to employers. Every now and then if **** gets crazy and I'm super upset I'll hop in my car and have one or two to calm down.

I'm on Wellbutrin so that may be part of the reason why I dont get cravings even during a 10-11 hour day, But in the car.....with coffee.....or while drinking.....ouch. It's tough. My daughter is 4 and has no idea, I'd feel mortified and massively disappointed in myself if she found out. Which she eventually will. I'm trying. Great BS excuse, right?
Old 02-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
TBut in the car.....with coffee.....or while drinking.....ouch. It's tough.
Driving was the worst for me. In taking road trips it was one cigarette right after another would feel like colossal **** the next day. Those damned stir straws came in real handy during a commute.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Want some motivation? well read along...

1) smoking causes you to age at an accelerated rate. It weakens your face muscles. I mean we all want to look older when we were under 18.....but looking 50 at the age of 40....Ummm no. I saw an ex g/f of mine around christmas time, and i'm about 4-5 years older than her....I now look younger because she smokes and I dont. My wife used to think that i wanted her back. When she saw her and how bad she looked, she told me she's no longer worried. lol
2) There 4 siblings that i'm going to refer to. My mom and my three uncles. My oldest uncle never smoked. my two younger uncles and my mom smoked. You noticed I said past tense? thats because all three of them passed away. My oldest uncle is still alive. Take that for what its worth. two of them had lung cancer. My grandfather smoked. he died from lung cancer.

DO YOU REALLY NEED ANYMORE MOTIVATION? I mean if you want to look older, have a older wrinkly looking face earlier in life,have poor health and more than likely get lung cancer, then by all means....smoke another one.
If you want to live as long as you can and be in better health and allow your body to age at its natural rate, then be a man and throw that **** in the ******* trash and never look back. You let it control you, then your weak. Addiction is a sign of weakness. I've never been addicted to anything so I cant relate, but i cant imagine having to rely on something like that to get me through situations. YOU control you, not cigarettes or drugs or alcohol.

I wish they would make cigarettes so expensive that people cant afford them or simply outlaw them.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post
Addiction is a sign of weakness. I've never been addicted to anything so I cant relate.
Every single person living on this earth has an addiction of some kind whether it be physical, mental, or both.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
Every single person living on this earth has an addiction of some kind whether it be physical, mental, or both.
i respectfully disagree. There has not been one thing in my life that I constantly did that I could not or did not quit doing. Nothing. Iíve never had a drug addiction. Or alcohol addiction. I was on oxycodone for pain when I had my heart surgery. I did not even finish the whole bottle. I never felt the urge to take one just because.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

i respectfully disagree. There has not been one thing in my life that I constantly did that I could not or did not quit doing. Nothing. Iíve never had a drug addiction. Or alcohol addiction. I was on oxycodone for pain when I had my heart surgery. I did not even finish the whole bottle. I never felt the urge to take one just because.
how bout ************?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Village Troll

i respectfully disagree.
Could be something you're addicted to where you're not even aware. Doesn't just have to always be about alcohol or narcotics.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:34 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I am addicted to good times, good people, and going fast!!!!

Yee haww
Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheUrbz View Post
how bout ************?
Hey! you been staring in my window? creep!

LMAO
Old 02-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Hey! you been staring in my window? creep!
LMAO
bullshitting aside, you did cast a wide net with comparing addiction with weakness. one assumes when "addiction" is brought up we imagine the homeless guy shooting up in the alley, but thats not always the case. the word encompasses a wide arrange of titles that if discussed further, im sure we'd find something that ropes you in to.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: