The future of internal combustion performance cars - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > WEBSITE ACTIVITY FORUMS > Racer's Lounge
Reload this Page >

The future of internal combustion performance cars

Notices

The future of internal combustion performance cars

Old 02-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default The future of internal combustion performance cars

So this has been on my mind a lot lately.
As many of you know the auto manufacturers are moving away from internal combustion and looking to a future of electric and alternative vehicles.
Consequently many people from Ford and GM are loosing their jobs right now.
My wife as well as many of our family and friends all work for GM. So since just before Christmas the main topic of conversation has been around who is going to still be employed in the new year.
So far my wife is good. Some of our friends are not.

I've spent my life working as a mechanic. I'm 54 just about to turn 55.
When I grew up, even as a young teenage boy full of you know what, cars were more important than girls!

I read about a proposal that would supposedly eliminate the use of fossil fuels within the next 10 yrs.
Can it truly be that the internal combustion engine is that close to becoming extinct?

Whats going to happen to people like us? I'm not sure I can learn to live in a world without loud fast cars.
It can't just all go away like that!
Old 02-08-2019, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gasoholic View Post
So this has been on my mind a lot lately.
As many of you know the auto manufacturers are moving away from internal combustion and looking to a future of electric and alternative vehicles.
Consequently many people from Ford and GM are loosing their jobs right now.
My wife as well as many of our family and friends all work for GM. So since just before Christmas the main topic of conversation has been around who is going to still be employed in the new year.
So far my wife is good. Some of our friends are not.

I've spent my life working as a mechanic. I'm 54 just about to turn 55.
When I grew up, even as a young teenage boy full of you know what, cars were more important than girls!

I read about a proposal that would supposedly eliminate the use of fossil fuels within the next 10 yrs.
Can it truly be that the internal combustion engine is that close to becoming extinct?

Whats going to happen to people like us? I'm not sure I can learn to live in a world without loud fast cars.
It can't just all go away like that!
Rest assured, gas combustion isn't going to be phased out in your, or my lifetime (39 here). There are too many hurdles, range and cost, just to name a couple.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Game ova View Post
Rest assured, gas combustion isn't going to be phased out in your, or my lifetime (39 here). There are too many hurdles, range and cost, just to name a couple.
Basically this. The only thing electric cars have right now is the growing excitement and acceptance. The infrastructure to support them will take a VERY long time to become reality.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

No. That's wishful thinking on the part of a certain person or group with a specific agenda, but it's not practical and not going to be reality. Gasoline will be available for decades to come.

Keep in mind, average vehicle age in the US is currently just under 12 years old, and the vast majority of vehicles sold today are still gas powered (i.e. in ~12 years the average car on the road will be a 2019 - which still consists mostly of ICE cars). Even if electric car sales pick up dramatically in the coming decade, it will still take a very long time before electric cars are in the majority overall.

My '71 has been on the road for 48 years and will probably be on the road for 48 more (no telling who will be behind the wheel at that point though!)
Old 02-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

I would hope you guys are right. It doesn't make sense or seem even remotely possible this new zero emissions thing would work, but right now people are losing their jobs over it. Its like its being forced upon us like it or not.
I was reading the sponsors of that bill say fossil fuels wont be "banned" per say but will become so expensive and difficult to obtain that it will be impractical for people to want to use them.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I was reading the sponsors of that bill say fossil fuels wont be "banned" per say but will become so expensive and difficult to obtain that it will be impractical for people to want to use them.
This is not possible as a sudden and blanket roll-out in the reasonably foreseeable future, it would collapse the American economy quickly. Folks with the least amount of disposable cash are the ones typically driving the oldest/cheapest cars, and said folks simply can't afford to run out an buy a brand new zero emissions vehicle nor can they afford incredible, unprecedented sudden (and permanent) increases in fuel costs via tax penalties. Commutes are long for many, so working and continuing to pay bills wouldn't be possible if gas prices suddenly became totally out of reach for all but the most wealthy Americans. Economic disaster would ensue, and sales of new electric cars wouldn't be able to increase because suburban mortgages held by long-distance commuters (now priced out of that travel market) would go unpaid, causing consumer credit scores and available cash to drop like a rock.

Change on this scale has to come slowly in order to actually work. Anything else is wishful thinking, agenda-based propaganda, alarmist speech and/or simple insanity.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gas engines arnt going anywhere. What about the people that use their cars for more than just commute. For those of us that drive Hd trucks that get worked day in day out there just isn't an electric option that I would even consider. It would need to have a 400+ mile range and be able to tow while doing it with a damn good warranty.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

I would hope you guys are right. It doesn't make sense or seem even remotely possible this new zero emissions thing would work, but right now people are losing their jobs over it. Its like its being forced upon us like it or not.
They are not losing their jobs because of electric cars of the threat of the government mandates, They are losing jobs because vehicles can be built somewhere else cheaper.
Electric cars/trucks will never become to norm unless they figure out a way to extend the range, They may work in town but how would anyone expect to be able to drive a long distance if they have to stop every 300 miles for a 4-8 hours or more to recharge, Keep in mind that the range is based on perfect conditions and using the heater in the winter reduces range by as much as 40% and a strong head wind can reduce range by another 10% - 25%. How long will it take to charge the not yet made electric bus or motorhome lol.
Don't listen to the 0 emissions in 10 years BS, Like others have said it's not possible or feasible and not going to happen anytime soon, Those wackos what to stop using fossil fuel and at the same time not rely on nuclear power. Wind and Solar power alone are not going to supply the nations needs for a very long time.

By the way their proposal calls for tearing down every building in the country and rebuilding them to be energy efficient and put an end to the airline industry, They are seriously out of control. They also want free medical for everyone, Free college and to forgive all current student loans. The also want the rich to pay a yearly tax on their net worth and tax their income at 70%. How will any business expand and hire new employee's when the government is siphoning all the money from the top down?

Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Thread closure is emanate, and for good reason. Do what you do RPM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

People are losing their jobs in Automotive manufacturing because of changing trends and people are not buying sedans right now. It really is that simple. I just quit my job at a Chevy dealer last week (unrelated to the topic, it just sucks working at a dealer) and that is what is really happening. It has happened before and will happen again and again. Chevy canceled the Cruze and the impala will be done after this year. Gm is struggling right now and is making too many models (to many crappy ones too). The new Silverado design is going to hurt Chevy even worse IMO. They do not have many people at the top making good decisions if you ask me.

At some point in the next 10-30 years Internal combustion engines in new cars will become pretty rare, but we’re nowhere near there yet. Just enjoy living in the era we’re in now being an Automotive enthusiast with so many incredible options with the technology and performance.

But yeah, that bitch is retarded.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Al Oppenheimer just resigned from being chief engineer for the camaro. He's moving to the electric vehicle R&D.
Tech center is taking a big hit the last couple weeks. Ren Cen too. Its different this time. Not just trying to save money. Completely changing directions.

I pray every night God will protect us from our government.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Well Al should have been fired for green lighting a car you can’t even see out of so look out EV department
Old 02-09-2019, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Second to last paragraph

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.det...amp/2790053002

The moves are expected to save GM up to $2.5 billion this year and up to $6 billion by 2020. GM leaders have said the company needs to reposition for a future that it sees as driverless and emission-free while the automaker is in good financial standing.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thread closure is emanate, and for good reason. Do what you do RPM.

furthermore, the couple threads in this board are gettin political and religious bumps for some reason. the hell.

Last edited by TheUrbz; 02-09-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheUrbz View Post

furthermore, the couple threads in this board are gettin political and religious bumps for some reason. the hell.
While I agree this thread has a political twist to it, It is still relevant to the automotive industry and should be allowed. Whether the mods like it or not politics have a huge role in our hobby and you can't have certain discussions without politics playing a part of it because they are intertwined.
I don't agree with anyone suggesting how a person should vote, That is a personal decision but you'd have to blind to not see what certain parties are trying to do and how that is going to kill our hobby.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LLLosingit View Post
While I agree this thread has a political twist to it, It is still relevant to the automotive industry and should be allowed. Whether the mods like it or not politics have a huge role in our hobby and you can't have certain discussions without politics playing a part of it because they are intertwined.
its not that you have to discuss politics, its who you are discussing it with. you may approach it level headed and equal, but i assure you others on here will not. and that raises the possibility of a thread devolving into the equivalent of the monkey island at the zoo.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheUrbz View Post
its not that you have to discuss politics, its who you are discussing it with. you may approach it level headed and equal, but i assure you others on here will not. and that raises the possibility of a thread devolving into the equivalent of the monkey island at the zoo.
There are plenty of forums dedicated to politics, can we just have ONE place that we can come to and not have to hear the trash that is politics? For those who must discuss the stuff..... go to a political based forum.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

There are plenty of forums dedicated to politics, can we just have ONE place that we can come to and not have to hear the trash that is politics? For those who must discuss the stuff..... go to a political based forum.
Like I said in my earlier post, There are some cases where government policies/ potential legislation effect our hobby and I think should have a place in this forum. It's not the same as opening a post and people talking about what is going on with the Russia probe and who is for or against a political party.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LLLosingit View Post
Like I said in my earlier post, There are some cases where government policies/ potential legislation effect our hobby and I think should have a place in this forum. It's not the same as opening a post and people talking about what is going on with the Russia probe and who is for or against a political party.
As it applies to this specific gray area where legislation meets the very focus of this site, I have to agree - at least until the point that said discussion devolves entirely into partisan politics with little or no real focus on the actual hobby related concern at hand. And once that occurs, we have the aforementioned "monkey island" exchange develop, which is not welcome and ends up locked.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

[edited: exactly the sort of comment which derails such a thread....let's keep it on track or it goes away - admin]

Other than that I'll applaud electric cars. Instant tq.....incredible responsive traction control and tq vectoring will take performance cars to a incredible new level once fuel(battery) capacity is figured out. Will likely be able to always achieve better weight distribution and a lower center of gravity to. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-10-2019 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Overly political comments removed.

Search this Thread

About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: