wireless internet question - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

wireless internet question

Old 12-31-2004, 10:40 AM   #1

Default wireless internet question

so i have my wireless card into my laptop and ive been picking up a nice (cable modem speed) connection for a couple weeks now. i dont have much of anything on this computer so i dont care if someone can hack it or whatever. my question.... i never see any other computers or work groups listed when i check. if someone is smart enough to hide themselves entirely, wouldnt they have a password at least to get onto their network? is there any ways i can find out if there are other computers connected? and is there a way to completely hide myself. i assume i would show up on their network properties if they ever checked. i obviously have file sharing off, but i think my computer would still show up.
DriveATransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
TECH Veteran

There are several steps you can take that will make it exceedingly hard for anyone to access your network.

1. Use WEP/WPA to encrypt transmission and require a LOOOONG password to gain access
2. set your wireless router/access point to only grant access to your MAC address. this will force someone to spoof you MAC address if they want to get around that restriction
3. turn off SSID broadcast. this will hide the fact that you are running wireless internet in the area from most people
infinitebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:17 AM   #3
jmX
TECH Junkie

I dont think he has a wireless access point of his own.

Anyway, for the people that it sounds like you are stealing bandwidth from, nothing will hide you from the "connected devices" listing on their router.
jmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:18 AM   #4

you got it backwards, i dont have the wap im just using someones signal cause i can (and dont wanna spend 50 bucks a month for internet). i plugged my card in and up came some wireless networks (condo building). first one had a wep password. i tried cracking it with some programs i downloaded, but it looks like my wireless card isnt supported...so i walked around until i found a couple others that dont require a password. thats what im using now.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
TECH Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveATransAm
you got it backwards, i dont have the wap
LOL, sorry about that. Don't think I could help you much there. I'm much more knowledgeable about securing networks than hacking them.

But no, you aren't going to show up on their list of networked computers. You will show up in their router config though, if they ever bother to check that.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:23 AM   #6

how come i wouldnt come up on their networked computer list? and how come they dont come up on mine? if i view all networks, and they were on a different one, wouldnt it still show up? and im not hacking anything. im just using a connection that is floating around my unit. plug the card in and it connects automatically.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
TECH Veteran

Quote:
how come i wouldnt come up on their networked computer list? and how come they dont come up on mine?
Because those only list the computers that have files shared. If you have any shares set up and file sharing enabled then you probably would. Also if you have any software firewalls running (like the built-in XP one), that will block you from showing up.

Quote:
and im not hacking anything.
Well you did say you tried hacking one that had a password.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
TECH Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmX
Anyway, for the people that it sounds like you are stealing bandwidth from
This really depends on the reason they have it open. Some people provide open access becasue they want to (so you aren't stealing becasue they are giving it away). But there are also a lot of people who are just to stupid to secure their networks.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:39 AM   #9

i was gonna hack, until i found out i couldnt. now im just using what is available to me. if they are dumb enough to leave an open network in a condo, then thats their fault. how do i ensure that i dont have any type of filesharing going on? just uncheck the file and printer sharing from my configuration.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:49 AM   #10
TECH Veteran

Quote:
just uncheck the file and printer sharing from my configuration.
That should do it.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:59 PM   #11
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurefbodyownr
There are several steps you can take that will make it exceedingly hard for anyone to access your network.

1. Use WEP/WPA to encrypt transmission and require a LOOOONG password to gain access
2. set your wireless router/access point to only grant access to your MAC address. this will force someone to spoof you MAC address if they want to get around that restriction
3. turn off SSID broadcast. this will hide the fact that you are running wireless internet in the area from most people
Did all that the first week i got my linksys wi-fi router.
Midnight F-117A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:05 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic

If you hopped onto an unsecured WAP with a high-speed connection attached to it without so much as a password, the people that own the WAP wont know jack crap about you using their network. If they dont have the sense to at leaste turn SSID off, they wont ever check the DHCP client table, or any other logs.

I use 128bit encryption and a MAC address list for my 802.11b network. Good damn luck getting into it.
glitch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #13

well, like i said before, the wierd thing is that i cant see anyone else on the network. im just assuming like i said before that if they dont have a password than likely they arent smart enough to check whos on the network.

i have unchecked file and printer sharing from my configuration, but my workgroup and computer name is still showing up on the "my network places" folder when i open up the "view workgroup computers" and "microsoft windows network". if that makes sense lol.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #14
TECH Veteran

Quote:
well, like i said before, the wierd thing is that i cant see anyone else on the network.
But again, you wouldn't unless they had shared stuff and were not running a firewall.

Quote:
i have unchecked file and printer sharing from my configuration, but my workgroup and computer name is still showing up on the "my network places" folder when i open up the "view workgroup computers" and "microsoft windows network". if that makes sense lol.
Your local system always shows up.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #15

ok good, so they shouldnt see me then. i have my firewall on my card turned on if that helps any lol. why would you have a wireless setup if you werent sharing between multiple computers though? unless their cable came in on the other side of the room and they didnt want to run cable. first thing i did when i moved here was ran all cat5 and coax to every wall
Old 01-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
TECH Veteran

Quote:
why would you have a wireless setup if you werent sharing between multiple computers though?
I mean file sharing, not just net connection sharing. Like when you set up one to access files on the other. If you don't have anything like that, it won't show up in the networked computers but you can still connect to the internet.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
TECH Fanatic

At our race track here my friends laptop picks up a wireless network, probably the towers. Since its unsecured its great for downloading and sending bin files, scans ect to your buddies while still at the track
SmokingWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:47 AM   #18
TECH Regular

So is securing your network as simple as checking the little box in the router settings that says "enable WEP encryption"? I always thought there was more to it, so I never secured mine, but I think its time I should.
u8dusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #19
ACW
TECH Junkie

Suggestions for securing wireless networks: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ess_secure.htm
ACW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #20
TECH Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8dusst
So is securing your network as simple as checking the little box in the router settings that says "enable WEP encryption"? I always thought there was more to it, so I never secured mine, but I think its time I should.
It's not the only step, but definitely the most important one. Otherwise everything you type (including sensitive things like passwords) will be transmittted as clear text and anyone with a simple scanner can read it.