Where we are at with the PatriotDream.org Camaro - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Where we are at with the PatriotDream.org Camaro

Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
TECH Apprentice

Default Where we are at with the PatriotDream.org Camaro

Hey guys, since so many of you have helped out, I want to keep you guys updated.

The Gen III 5.3L engine should be here soon, National Parts Depot was kind enough to offer a spot on one of their trucks for our engine to get it to NC from Cali. I need a lot of parts for it still, like the accessory brackets, throttle body, coils, etc. Basically right now it is a shortblock, heads are in my garage, and an intake donated by a guy in Carolina F-body Club. My friend Joel at HRT is doing the work on it, but I need the parts to put it together. Painless has also donated the wiring, cam, and engine management system. Mike at Sulski Performance has graciously donated the tuning. 8)

We've also found the car, but we're about $700 short. I'm trying to work a deal with the guy to hold it for me, though. He came off the price about $1300 to get it close to what we had so far, so I'd really like to grab this one. It is a 68 that has a solid body, but needs some rust repair on the rear quarters and some other small spots. It is a project car, but with the way people are coming together for this project it'll be an amazing car when we're done! I'm hoping to have someone go look at it soon so we can have it shipped from Il back to it's new home in NC.

I'm working on securing the brakes now (LS1 brakes all around) with some donated rotors from RotorsOnline.com and some calipers that my friend Russ gave me (after I rebuild those 200k monsters!) and my friend CE had donated the master cylinder, booster, and part. valve.

So that's where we're at right now, it is coming together nicely, just need a few more bucks to secure the car. I'm gonna have a meeting with my family this weekend and see if we can come up with the other $700, I don't see that being a problem.
4Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
TECH Apprentice

Special thanks to Twist Machine! They donated a set of their core support bars and one of their cowl induction billet trim plates. These things are amazing, top notch quality and they look great! As a mechanical designer by profession, I must say these are some fine looking pieces.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
TECH Apprentice

5.3L heads that we had sitting on the shelf in the shop heading over tomorrow to HRT Performance to be reworked
Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
TECH Apprentice

Got the brake booster! Complete LS1 brake setup here we come.

We got a lead on the car, too! A guy has a 67 and he is building a 68 for his son who is a Marine in Iraq. We have talked about it and they want us to get the car, so we're working out all the details now.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
TECH Apprentice

The engine will be at the machine shop in about two weeks or so, then the rebuild begins. Sold a bunch of Trans Am parts I had sitting on the shelf and bought some stuff for the engine. Got some sweet red anodized aluminum fuel rails with blue AN fittings and braided line.

Also got a set of stock valve covers that I'm going to smooth out and powdercoat wrinkle black, a set of LS1 injectors and clips, LS6 valve springs, and an LS1 Throttle body that I'm going to P&P.

So here's the engine combo that I'm going to go with.

Gen III 5.3L out of a 2005 truck with block painted black, donated by Strictly Performance (shipping by National Parts Depot)
LS1 intake smoothed and powdercoated bare aluminum color
Red anodized fuel rail, LS1 injectors, blue AN fittings, and braided line
Wrinkle black valve covers
LS1 TB powdercoated Super Chrome
Cam included in HI-RPM kit
HI-RPM kit donated by Painless Performance
5.3L heads, 3-angled and milled, LS6 springs, left bare aluminum
LS4 oil pump
Engine and heads will be built and assembled thanks to a donation by HRT Performance.

Can't wait to see this thing built, it's gonna look sexy.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
TECH Apprentice

Lightning Auto Customs has donated a shift boot for a T56 in a 67 Camaro, along with the plans for the bezel, which I am going to draw up in SolidWorks and have made up. This thing is NICE! They also hooked us up with some vinyl decals.

Our engine will also be at the terminal next Wednesday, so then the fun begins with that! Big thanks to National Parts Depot for the free ride for our engine on one of their trucks cross-country!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
TECH Apprentice

SPEC Stage 2 clutch and Billet steel flywheel graciously donated by SPEC Clutch!

It is down to the wire here guys and there is still no car. Something always seems to happen when we find a car, and it is getting down to the wire.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
TECH Apprentice

Made a deal on a car! The guy is going to install the floorboards for us before we go get it. Should be picking it up at the beginning of September. Grabbed it off of the pro-touring.com board. Can't wait to get this thing in the shop!

He's done more work since these pictures, but at least it gives you an idea!

And the before shot:

We also got our engine in today. Strictly Performance donated the engine and NPD had it delivered to us on one of their trucks. Heading to HRT Performance this week to start the rebuild.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
TECH Apprentice

And here is what the finished product will look like! Thanks to Hermance Design for the donated rendering!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
TECH Apprentice

Custom show plate and cowl hood panel donated by Undercover Innovations. These things are NICE! They're gonna look great on the car. Pardon the terrible pictures, I am in the process of reorganizing and laying new floor down in the shop for the arrival of the Camaro and it is a mess in there!

and some LS6 springs and LS1 injectors I purchased off of LS1tech.com

Old 08-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
TECH Apprentice

Outer wheelhouses donated by Lutty's Chevys!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
TECH Apprentice

Carbon fiber header gaskets and LED taillights donated by MuscleRodz!

Automotive rotisserie donated by AutoTwirler! (going to assemble tomorrow, this is just off the truck!)
Old 08-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
TECH Apprentice

Drilled and slotted LS1 rotors donated by RotorsOnline.com!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
Teching In

Those brakes are going to look amazing on a 68. Keep us posted please!
LightItUpGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
TECH Apprentice

Just got back from the TA Nationals, so I haven't had a chance to get the 2" cowl hood that Firewheel Classics donated home yet, it's in my office at work.

But I did get a LS1 master cylinder from a good friend of mine.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
TECH Apprentice

Got some new goodies today!

Steel 2" cowl hood donated by Firewheel Classics. This thing is SWEET and is gonna look killer on the car!

Also got a new gas tank and RS grille donated by Eckler's Camaro. These are gonna look sweet as well!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #17
TECH Apprentice

Got a new black carpet set in today donated by Rick's First Gen!

Sept 29th is the day we're grabbing the car. The truck is reserved and the trailer borrowed, the build officially begins on Sept. 30th!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
TECH Apprentice

Got some new parts in! Thanks to WS6 on the pro-touring board for donating this LS1 valley pan!

And thanks to Gail Day Automotive Memorabilia for donating this T56 6-spd shift ball!

And we also recieved this blue LED Raptor shift light donated by R&D Speed!

I also just got back from AutoFair yesterday. I took a bunch of flyers and handed out about 50 to different vendors and told them what I was doing. Most of them seemed very interested, and all listened to me, so that was cool! I got the shift ball from a vendor, hopefully we get some more from it as everyone gets back home from the show!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #19
TECH Apprentice

It is all set up to pick up the car on the 29th. The guy installed new front floorboards, a new door skin, a hood, and a new dash panel. Here are the pics he sent me so I know what I'm picking up on the 29th. 8)

Old 09-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #20
TECH Apprentice

Got some more goodies in today! Toyo tires has generously donated a set of Proxes 4 tires - 245/45ZR17 for the front and 275/45ZR17s for the back.

And my little boy can't wait to have his Uncle Shawn back home!