Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

What to do about Power Steering over heating?

Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about Power Steering over heating?

Hey guys, I'm new to LS1Tech and road racing. I was hoping you guys could help me. I've been to the track twice, on open track days and both times I can not keep the Power Steering fluid from overheating.

What do you guys use on your cars?

I have a 99 TA.

First time at the track I had no cooler and regular fluid. Power steering fluid overheated melted my cap. Fried my pump and made a big mess. (got kicked off the track)

Second time, I added a Stock Power steering cooler, thats in the upper radiator hose, and Synthetic Transmission Fluid. Fluid boiled over and made another mess.

Do I need to go with a Turn One Pump and Pulley? Or can I use my stock setup?

Thanks
Purple Haze dog

Last edited by purplehazedog; 01-11-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Teching In

IMO, get a better cooler, one that sits in front of the radiator. You gotta remember, that teh factory one is sitting with the coolant passing through. they are using fluid to transfer the heat, but that fluid is already 160+ degrees, so who knows how much heat is being transfered. using a radiator mounted one will allow air at a much lower temperature to transfer the heat, plus have a longer duration of heat transfer.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by purplehazedog
Do I need to go with a Turn One Pump and Pulley? Or can I use my stock setup?

Thanks
Purple Haze dog
For the long term, you really need to get a decent pump.

Turn One is a recognized name for such a pump upgrade. However, I stumbled across a company that builds pumps and steering components for off-road race trucks, mud bogs and rock crawlers called Power Steering Components or PSC. www.racesteering.com

Send them a pump and for less than half what Turn One wants, you have a great pump. We've got several out there now and they are holding up great.

LSx pumps are still very common. But because an LT1 application spins the opposite direction, you will definitely need to send them a pump for refurb.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I will add another cooler in front of the radiator. Should I leave the stock one in? so I have two coolers, or use just the new One?

I'll also check out racesteering.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turn One / Pulley / External Cooler / Better Fluid

^ The ideal setup.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

The CTS-V has a power steering overheating problem when on track with stock fluid. A swap to Red Line power steereing fluid did the trick, but it's got to be freshened before each track day.

Feff
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Teching In

I think because of the pocket book right now I will get a new cooler, tie it into my old set up, and use Red Line. I'll save a little cash and get the Turn One or PSC pump later. I hope this works.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the PSC pump is more than just a rebuild. they do what Turn One does to theirs. its a reduced flow pump. 2.5 GPM flow rate is what us road race guys are doing. no negative affects. cost is like $80 and they will convert the pump output to AN -6 for you.

the flow reduction at high RPM is what helps the most w/ dropping the fluid temp. i get well over a full season on my Redline P/S fluid w/ my pump and small external cooler.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glenn,

Do you have pictures of your setup? I have a spare oil cooler that I want to use for the PS fluid, converting over to AN fittings would work easier as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not nothing thats hosted. its an LT1 car anyways.
i had a Turn One on my 98Z street / track car. its sold now.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

All I have is my buddy Nick Steel's old mods from back in 2000, when he used to RR and AX his 1998 Z28.

http://para.noid.org/98z/mods.html

Just trying to gather more info before diving in head first.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Teching In

I ran Royal Purple PS Fluid with stock cooler without any real issues. It sometimes got a little wet around the cap but no fluid on the track and no problems on with the pump.
This is at NHIS, Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. What tracks are you guys running? NHIS is pretty tight. I figure autoX guys put the most strain on the ps system.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I was running in California at Willow Springs, and Buttonwillow. I plan on going to Laguna Sega and Thunder Hill later on this year. I'll let you guys know how my new set up goes. (Stock pump, stock Cooler, plus aftermarket fan cooler and Red line fuild.) My next event is March 1st.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do about Power Steering over heating?