Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Universal Pedals. Help my choose.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Universal Pedals. Help my choose.

I have a hard time heel-toeing with my car, yet I did it without thinking in my buddies Miata the first time I drove it. My car is still a street car, so cutting up a cutting board or sheet metal isn't really what I'm looking for. That being said, what do you guys think about these:
http://www.amazon.com/OMP-Racing-OMP.../dp/B003V515WS

Really wish I could fit these so I can continue to drive barefoot on hot summer days, but I'm not sure they would fit (or help the heel-toe issue for that matter).
http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-03787RC...8674626&sr=1-1

These are a cheap alternative to all, but the gas pedal looks small for our shape pedal.
http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Pedal-S...674701&sr=1-33

Then there is the SRP and Autovation custom fits, which quickly come close to $90-100. I am leaning towards the first ones listed because of the shape in helping heel-toe, but the grid pattern looks like it will be death to my shoes.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried universal pedals?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked these out? I'm thinking about buying them for my ta but haven't seen much reviews on them.

http://www.emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/2130
Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
Have you checked these out? I'm thinking about buying them for my ta but haven't seen much reviews on them.

http://www.emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/2130
Yeah those are the SRPs. They are pricey so I'm looking for an alternative.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not tried anything other than the SRP pedals, but I can certainly vouch for them even though they are a little more expensive than the ones you are asking about.

I learned how to heel-toe in a C6 Corvette (@ Spring Mountain Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School). I had a hard time getting the blips right all the time, especially when I was being tossed around in the car. When I got home, I practiced some in my Camaro with the SRP pedals, and holy crap it was super easy. Since you are replacing the factory rubber pad on the brake pedal with the aluminum piece, but the gas pedal you are actually placing over the existing plastic pedal, the gas and brake pedal not only end up closer laterally, but also closer depth-wise (if that makes sense). Those things combined make it really easy.

That said, I actually talked to Brian at SRP about making a gas pedal without the heel-toe extension on it just for me. I have big feet, so I found myself inadvertently hitting the gas while trying to apply the brakes during normal driving, which is something you really have to watch out for with any type of lateral extension on the gas pedal. You wouldn't think it would matter, but as soon as you hit the gas when applying the brakes and you aren't trying to do a heel-toe downshift, you lose vacuum to the brake booster, and you end up losing braking power. I wasn't a huge fan of that, so it was either ditch the gas pedal, or get one without the extension. Brian went above and beyond, and even emailed me drawings to cut out as templates to try before finalizing the design. He is in the process of making it now, so I can't wait to try it.

His customer service alone was worth it to me, but some don't value that as much as I do. If you have any other questions about the SRP pedals, just let me know.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been running a Camaro Mustang Challenge 4th gen for 6 years now. I use the SRP brake pedal plate offset over to the right. Don't discount the cutting board for the gas pedal. It does two things - raises the surface of the pedal up (you need this) due to its thinkness and it provides for a smooth surface for your shoe to slide on. Dont like the color? These guys have it in black.
http://k-mac-plastics.com/Nylon-zytel-sheet.htm
Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Meents, great review! Just wondering, what finish did you get? Some of them look like they wouldnt have good grip, judging by the pics. Also, what size shoe do you wear? Lol just in case I might need that pedal too.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Meents, great review! Just wondering, what finish did you get? Some of them look like they wouldnt have good grip, judging by the pics. Also, what size shoe do you wear? Lol just in case I might need that pedal too.
The brake and clutch pedals are the pyramid grid, and the gas pedal is smooth...all of them are anodized black. I wear a size 13 tennis shoe (not huge, but enough to cause some issues with the way I have my feet when I drive).
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The brake and clutch pedals are the pyramid grid, and the gas pedal is smooth...all of them are anodized black. I wear a size 13 tennis shoe (not huge, but enough to cause some issues with the way I have my feet when I drive).
Do you like the smooth gas pedal better? Im stuck between the grid and block style finishes.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Do you like the smooth gas pedal better? Im stuck between the grid and block style finishes.
To me, the only pedals that need to have texture to them are the brake and clutch pedals...I don't want my foot getting hung up on the loud pedal. It's really personal preference though.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
To me, the only pedals that need to have texture to them are the brake and clutch pedals...I don't want my foot getting hung up on the loud pedal. It's really personal preference though.
That definitely seems like the best way to have it too. Cant wait to get these in. Thanks for all the help, again!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

I've always put the cheapo Sparco RACE pedals in my race cars:

http://www.sparcousa.com/ptuning_pedals.asp?id=339

They might not be right for your street car if you ever want to drive barefoot, but they are awesome for the track. Very grippy and just the right size and just the right curvature to make heel-toeing very easy.

Like I said, maybe not right for your application, but great track pedals.

Cheers,

Dean

Quick Reply: Universal Pedals. Help my choose.