Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Starting from scratch...Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting from scratch...Help please!

So I just bought a 02 WS6 car with M6. Bought it with the idea of doing some autocross events with it.

I have read a good bit, but most guys seem to use the cars for drag racing.

Its all stock except for long tubes and drilled and slotted rotors. I want to keep it a comfortable driving street car....drive to the events and have fun and then drive home. I need some help on the basic mods that will yield the best results for me.... Like shocks and springs are probably the first thing to consider...yes? What are the best brakes for the buck? Should I lower the car from stock a bit? So any help here would be great! Thanks!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by daytonayellaz
So I just bought a 02 WS6 car with M6. Bought it with the idea of doing some autocross events with it.

I have read a good bit, but most guys seem to use the cars for drag racing.

Its all stock except for long tubes and drilled and slotted rotors. I want to keep it a comfortable driving street car....drive to the events and have fun and then drive home. I need some help on the basic mods that will yield the best results for me.... Like shocks and springs are probably the first thing to consider...yes? What are the best brakes for the buck? Should I lower the car from stock a bit? So any help here would be great! Thanks!
Decide what class you want to run in first. And ofcourse everyone will tell you driver mod.
But to answer your question good shocks, brakes and tires will be a big difference. Pretty commonly used shocks are Koni SA's, and stick to blank rotors, drilling will only lead to cracks.
Search here and the suspension section for Sam Strano, he competes in Fstock class with his LS1 Z28 and has won multiple national championships. (stranoparts.com) - give him a call.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks JD! This is exactly what I was looking for! I used to race karts years ago and then allison legacy cars. We ran both on some road courses, but mostly circle track and always on asphalt. So...I have some experience/seat time but Im sure I could use some more!! Thanks for the advice and I love your car! Its NBM...right? Mine to!

Quick Reply: Starting from scratch...Help please!