Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

drifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default drifting

is anyone doing or have tried this? lets discuss, talk about setups, tires, hp and things. i am thinking about getting into this as it looks like fun.

-mtt
Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Its gay. Then it becomes more gay. Before you know it you're Richard Simmons. I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Lol thanks for your informative response. Anyway some people don't get it or like it I know that. I mean I'm pretty sure everytime I see someone doing a donut or a burnout they seem to be having fun, like trying to do a burnout sideways at 60mph sounds fun.

Besides you prolly wouldn't be able to do it, that's why you hate it.

Matt
Old 09-02-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01M6TA
Lol thanks for your informative response. Anyway some people don't get it or like it I know that. I mean I'm pretty sure everytime I see someone doing a donut or a burnout they seem to be having fun, like trying to do a burnout sideways at 60mph sounds fun.

Besides you prolly wouldn't be able to do it, that's why you hate it.

Matt
Why so serious? I'm sure I could do it but I wouldn't want to. I can't stand the whole scene that surrounds it. You seem interested in it so go try it. Have fun, since that is what the car hobby is all about.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just got rid of my 240sx, but never tried. I gotta say its gotta take some pretty good skill to do well. Are you going to try with an F-Body? Gotta think the weight might be a bitch. Good luck and get some video!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Drifting is just one of those things you just have to do to figure out I slide the vette some but you should really go to a drift day or similar event
Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01M6TA
is anyone doing or have tried this? lets discuss, talk about setups, tires, hp and things. i am thinking about getting into this as it looks like fun.

-mtt
Definitely not the first time this has come up, do a search. To my knowledge there is no "hardcore" drifting 4th gen cars, but there are some 3rd, 2nd, and 1st gen Camaros.
The 4th gen really lacks steering angle and from what I understand its tough to get any more out of it because of fitment issues in the front wheel well when the wheel is turned full lock.
You really don't need any more power than stock, just some suspension tweeks and some ***** But like I said because of the steering angle I wouldn't expect to be competitive anywhere.
Here are some vids with 4th gens I found over the years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=bbNHnE_m0Vo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGcU0...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6bLr...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3x9_...eature=related
http://www.streetfire.net/video/10th...awk_203559.htm
3rd gens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ERW_DyecZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIJni8DfFoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4yuesP7DU4
Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

Thats so...... Gay your not a strait guy drag stripes are where its at.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

strip everything you dont need ur car needs to be rally light and relly stiff put a cage in upper front strut bar. negative tow and lower the car as much as possible remove lock from ebrake so you dont have to push the button in car if you still have stock rear end f that get a 4 link from a c5 or cobra custom mount it your gonna want a really good clutch and an aluminum drive shaft pretty much make it a race car is what im getting at
Old 09-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Launching!

thanks for the videos, ive seen the first as i did search.

are you a ******* retard? god, put a sentence together. oh and learn how to spell.

-matt

Last edited by 01M6TA; 09-04-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Banned

i dont see the point of drifting?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
drag stripes are where its at.
I hope your joking...

i dont see the point of drifting?
Its about car control, its not a race just think of it as a stunt show.
Some like it, some dont, but you gotta respect how well some of those guys drive.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Thats so...... Gay your not a strait guy drag stripes are where its at.
Yea right. Im not into drifting, and Ill even say Drag racing is gay. "Yea Im good enough to drive and shift upwards for only a 1/4 mile".

Thats like being the fastest guy to nut, c'mon now...

Sorry but Road racing hands down. Drag racers wouldnt know how to downshift and They're good for only a certain amount of distance. Sorry but Road racing is more skill,endurance,experience, and way more fun.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned

That was over drifting vs. Drag racing. There was not a street racing option in there. I like street racing more than the drag strip too if cops aren't around.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to learn to how to drift, I really like that ****. I pretend I'm drifting when I do hard tail whips on turns lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

I've got side ways on some smooth back roads with hard turns, and hear the wheels screaming. That was with the subframe connectors they really help.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

drifting takes alot more skill then people give it credit for. anyone can run the 1/4 mile strip, and when i say anyone .. what i mean is .. even a 16 year old, drunk, 1 eye'd, 1 leg'd, 1 armed child could do it.

drifting on the other hand, takes skill. even a well seasoned track driver can have serious trouble maintaining control. what your trying to do is essentially lose control while maintaining control. Most drivers cant get past that first step. when they try to break the tires free and kick the tail out they just flat out lose control. alot of people can kick it around a corner but you havnt really gone into a drift, you just slid the tail a little bit. you need to watch some tutorials, read online or go out and do some closed parking lot or closed track testing to figure out how YOU want to get into your drifts.

ive tried teaching a few friends with RWD cars to get into a controlled slide. they were all hyped after being in the car to expierence the adrenaline rush with me. first kid ended up just spinning us around towards a curb and barely missed it (i ripped his e-brake since he had frozen in panic). he never attempted a drift again. second kid was real cocky, thought he could just go out and drift anything he wanted even though he had no expierence. i wouldnt be in the car with him. i followed him around a corner that was very wide and forgiving, had over 1.5 car widths on either side to stop before any curb or tree. he got into the slide and just kept his foot on the floor(just like i told him not to). he folded in a rear wheel, destroyed the tire and took a nice chunk out of the curb. luckily his subframe and body was all undamaged. the 3rd buddy i had shown some technique but didnt go with him on his first attempt. we had to tow his car back to his house. he oversteered and plowed right over a curb into a grass hill. destroyed his front bumper, lost his bumper lip, mangled his fender, destroyed his wheel/tire and folded in his cars unibody infront of the drivers footwell.

IF you want to drift i cant stress enough that you need to practice and try in a closed parking lot away from any poles, pot holes, curbs or any other obstacles.

first thing you need to do is strip all of your interior and ANY excess weight out of the car. lighter is better. second you need to really think about if this is really what you want to do with the car, as it can and most likely WILL be damaged drifting. third, wider tires are better for traction but not drifting. you want to run higher tire pressure as well. light wheels with firm tires are key. more power isnt always better, learn with stock HP before you go and try to begin with a high HP drift made car.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Drifting is ******* sweet enough said. Way better then going straight over and over again thats whats cool about drifting its always different for the most part
Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This forum is called Road Racing. The key word is "Racing".

It's legal, controlled, sanctioned and most importantly, requires no group of people to hold up a card to decide who wins. It's basic competition ... the first one from point A to point B wins.

Drifting might be fun, difficult and niche, but it's hardly racing. Drifting falls into the same category as figure skating, synchronized swimming and gymnastics. It's fun, difficult and requires a group of people holding up a card to determine a winner.

Quick Reply: drifting