Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Wet track tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Wet track tire question

I posted this in the "Tires" section also, however I would like feedback from those that have actually been on the road courses in the rain.

Looking for recommendations on a good tire for those rainy track days. I typically run the Nitto 555R II's on dry days and absolutely LOVE them.

Just had a HPDE at Atlanta Motorsports Park last week and it was a complete washout. Rained hard for three of the five sessions and there was water pooled all over the track for all five runs. Obviously, riding around on the 555R II's in those conditions (with the very light tread depth) was a nightmare.

Anyone have a suggestion on a solid rain tire that would help put some of the power to the pavement? Or perhaps another R compound that offers a nice tread depth that would be a good compromise to use in both wet and dry conditions.

Thanks!

JB
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goodyear GSD3 , My NT05's do great in the rain. No tire is going to be good in standing water, none.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoosier wets? Maybe overkill.

I liked my Dunlop Star Spec's in rain, but not sure if you can get the sizes you need.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a whole weekend in the rain on NT05s. They did great. That was a good learning experience, BTW.

Quick Reply: Wet track tire question