Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Non Adjustable Bilstein vs Double Adjustable Koni

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Adjustable Bilstein vs Double Adjustable Koni

How do the non adjustable bilstein shocks used in the slp eibach/bilstein combo compare to something like the double adjustable konis that are four times as expensive. In some casual HPDE track days am I really going to notice a difference?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
How do the non adjustable bilstein shocks used in the slp eibach/bilstein combo compare to something like the double adjustable konis that are four times as expensive. In some casual HPDE track days am I really going to notice a difference?
Search the suspension section, this topic has definitely been covered.
Konis will be a pretty big change over the bilstiens, they offer way more rebound control. Also you don't "need" the DA's, go with the 4/3 SA's. Most people with DA's end up running the same compression setting that the SA's come fixed with anyway, so you might as well save money and go with the SA's unless you think you want the compression adjustable as well (like if you plan on adding more unsprung weight).
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DA koni's would be better if your adding weight to the car...bigger block, turbo setup, etc..DA's will allow you to manage the weight across different track surfaces...

i run the SA's on several different types of track and they perform very well...Stiffer springs would be welcome, especially in the front. I currently run the 550lbs/in in the front and rear is 150lbs/in working rate...

if i could do it all over again...i would have bought the KW V3s and forget it...way way easier to get stiffer springs for and excellent range of adjustability..
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Go with the SA's you'll be fine.

Brigade24; you can use any rear pigtail spring that you find abound in circle track catalogs. Find the height, stiffness and color you like and have fun...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmspruill242
Go with the SA's you'll be fine.

Brigade24; you can use any rear pigtail spring that you find abound in circle track catalogs. Find the height, stiffness and color you like and have fun...
thanks km, that would certainly simplify my life...inner diameter doesn't matter or is that what the color represents? i guess i could do my own research on this..
Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Nah color is just what each company wants to paint their stuff. Any standard 5 inch rear pig tail spring. They come in all lengths and stiffness. You can fine tune a little bit with the upper isolator.

For the front you can run the 5 inch coilover kit from coleman on your SA's just fine. Any 2 1/2 inch front spring and you're good. Again length and stiffness is limitless.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Yes, *IF* you understand about how to dial a shock in for different track conditions and, as stated above, SA's (single adjustable) would probably be all you need.
** Also, if you are on the more serious side, do some research - Konis can be sent with the "off-the-shelf" settings or be re-valved for more specific use.

Good luck
Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

how are you even comparing these? i have the koni's and there 10 times the shock of bilsteins so there a deal.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

How about Bilstein vs KYB AGX? Pretty even on price so maybe better for comparison. I know KYB quality and reliability is questionable but can the adjustability allow for better handling than the Bilsteins?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
How about Bilstein vs KYB AGX? Pretty even on price so maybe better for comparison. I know KYB quality and reliability is questionable but can the adjustability allow for better handling than the Bilsteins?
I couldn't afford Konis (Needs of the many out weight the needs of the few) so I got the Bilsteins. I had KYB AGX shocks on my trans am. They were OK at best.

If you can afford Konis, they are the cats meow. Otherwise, Bilstein.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated above, if the Koni SA's fit within your budget, go get them. Otherwise, go with Bilstein. I went with Bilsteins when I needed to replace the crappy stock DeCarbons, however now that the car is spending time on the track I will definitely go Koni next time.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

In some casual HPDE track days am I really going to notice a difference?
that is the point everyone else is missing. yes, obviously, konis are the better shock. but do you really need them? if your car will only see the track a few times a year, with the majority of its life on the street; as a driver/weekender/etc, can you really justify triple the cost? add in the fact that you are probably a beginner, casual HPDE driver, would you even feel the difference between the two, or be able to reap the benefits of the konis over bilsteins?

case in point, when i did my suspension, i went with koni 4/4 SA. i was doing autox semi regularly, then went to 8ish track days a year. i set them once during the instal, and never touched the settings again. through 4yrs of track days, not once did i ever adjust the konis.

i built a 3rd gen dedicated track car. i have a mismatched suspension for now, but when i get to buying a complete setup, im more then likely going with non-adjustable bilsteins. its a track only car, with very limited street use, but still....maybe 5-8 track days a year wont justify $1000 shocks over $300 shocks, for my specific case.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Teching In

For a thirdgen the shocks are way more than a fourth gen koni or bilstien. I have koni's on a 4th(came with SLP Bilstiens) and I have Bilstien HD's on a 3rd gen. The konis & Bilstiens are over $750 a set for a thirdgen.

When I went koni on my SS over the slp Bilstiens i noticed a dramatic difference in handling and stability, not that the bilstiens were bad - they are not. But performace wise there is no comparison. In Bilstiens defence they are a nice street/ daily driver shock. But pure performance Koni all day every day. Unless you spring for custom valved not off the shelf bilstiens, but these are not an option if cost is concerned.

Quick Reply: Non Adjustable Bilstein vs Double Adjustable Koni