Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Building TT car, some Q's on accessory/turbo position for weight dist.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building TT car, some Q's on accessory/turbo position for weight dist.

1) Should I worry more about where the accessories are height wise or the turbos?
2) Does anyone make an LS1 A/C position Power steering bracket?
3) How far forward is too far for the turbos?
4) How high up would be too high for the accessories?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is going in your '89, I think the goal should be to place everything where you can fit it. Most of the time its hard to package all of the above, let alone optimize them for weight distribution [read: CG height].

Theoretically, I would suppose to mount everything as low, and as far rearward as you can get it. Try to keep all the weight in between the front and rear wheels. The goal, if you are designing a car from scratch is to keep most of the big weight items towards the center of gravity (CG) of the car. It will help with the quickness of rotation of the car to put it simply.

Have you tried mocking anything up in the car yet? Try to put your turbos in it, and start to eyeball your piping. I think it will be more beneficial to have the car serviceable, than a very slight advantage in weight positioning. Chances are, there are many other ways to gain since the f-bodies aren't really meant for road racing.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cph15
If this is going in your '89, I think the goal should be to place everything where you can fit it. Most of the time its hard to package all of the above, let alone optimize them for weight distribution [read: CG height].

Theoretically, I would suppose to mount everything as low, and as far rearward as you can get it. Try to keep all the weight in between the front and rear wheels. The goal, if you are designing a car from scratch is to keep most of the big weight items towards the center of gravity (CG) of the car. It will help with the quickness of rotation of the car to put it simply.

Have you tried mocking anything up in the car yet? Try to put your turbos in it, and start to eyeball your piping. I think it will be more beneficial to have the car serviceable, than a very slight advantage in weight positioning. Chances are, there are many other ways to gain since the f-bodies aren't really meant for road racing.
One idea I have had was moving the P/S pump to the A/C position and having the turbos at/near the original position and mirror it on the other side.

Quick Reply: Building TT car, some Q's on accessory/turbo position for weight dist.