Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Tires....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

My Corvette came with Bridgestone RE760 meh tires in 265/295 stock sizes. The car never responded well to throttle lift steer. Once I wasted those, I went with 295s all around with the NT05. The balance was much improved, but overall cornering speed didn't feel faster and the clock wasn't really showing a difference either. They're also loud as ***** when they're cold, so I'm not impressed but they are cheap so I may still get them again. From there, I bought the Camaro and ran Toyo RA1s on it. Couldn't really tell much of a difference when I switched to the RR this season, but either one on my turd bucket 260whp Camaro will run circles around street tires on my Z06.

I ran the Falken Azenis RT615 (not the K though) on a supercharged FWD Corolla and they were my first fast tire. I was blown away, but they got super greasy when hot. Could have been my fault too though, I think I ran the pressures way too high (n00b status). I later switched to the Yokohama Advan AD07, with lower pressures, and loved them. Once they broke loose, they communicated nothing. Only the smell of burning rubber of the sound of engine RPM dropping told you that you'd locked a tire. Super consistent though and very predictable driving. Never got hot and fell off like the Falken, so AD08 (or are they up to 9 now?) would be on my radar if they made my size and weren't so damned expensive.

From what I've read, RS3 is a great street tire. As mentioned earlier, we'll have to see what the Spring brings as far as bang for the buck fast street tires. The Z06 is on slicks at the moment, so I'm in the market. Probably just end up running the RA1 rains from the Camaro this year.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
im in the same delima right now.
need to replace my 285/35/18 RS3s. i LOVE the performance of the tire, but cant afford to replace them every 6 months. so looking for slightly harder tire, without loosing TOO much performance. (also looking at 275s as there are 4 times as many choices)

problem is many tires are falsely rated at 200 to make them legal for certain classes. which makes choosing another compound (treadwear rating) really tough.

i wish there was a list somewhere of what thread wears were on certain common RR tires BEFORE manufactures came out with there V2/successors with the fake 200 rating on the sidewall.
Try the NT-05, just be aware they like pretty low start pressures. On my Fbody with a 275 square setup I ended up at 30 front and 26 rear is where they did the best.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Well here at NCM and the current update on the RE760s is they really hate cold. With the long lines along and a long wait time, the tires cant get anywhere near a decent temp. When testing at local large parking lot and theyre hot. Theyre great at high speeds.
But here he spun around twice in one lap. Earned 2 strikes. Lol. 3 and youre out for the day.

Addition for the final results.
As the day warmed up and he was able to get in runs closer together since some striked out. They started to drip much better. We did make some adjustments to the shocks though. But they did start to respond well. So for now, they seem like they're gonna be a good tire. Come race season, I'm sure the outside temps will be above 40* though.

Last edited by SAPPER; 02-29-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran with new NT05's this weekend, 275 square on 2nd gen TA (3800#) and I have to agree that they like lower pressures. My morning runs started 31psi and I just let them build pressure as I went through 4 laps with about 3 min rest in between. My last lap of the 4 I started to push really bad and plowed through some turn cones. In the afternoon runs I went down to 30 psi and kept letting air out as they heated up and I dropped 1.8 sec from the morning and they never got greasy and I never pushed.

They are much better than my NT555 but, at the same time I was hoping I would have super extreme grip and I didn't feel like I had that. I still have some alignment tuning to do and some set up issues to resolve but, these worked well.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
I ran with new NT05's this weekend, 275 square on 2nd gen TA (3800#) and I have to agree that they like lower pressures. My morning runs started 31psi and I just let them build pressure as I went through 4 laps with about 3 min rest in between. My last lap of the 4 I started to push really bad and plowed through some turn cones. In the afternoon runs I went down to 30 psi and kept letting air out as they heated up and I dropped 1.8 sec from the morning and they never got greasy and I never pushed.

They are much better than my NT555 but, at the same time I was hoping I would have super extreme grip and I didn't feel like I had that. I still have some alignment tuning to do and some set up issues to resolve but, these worked well.
My car liked -1.2 in the front with that setup.

I ended up with -1.8 with a lowered panhard bar. heavier rear springs and bar. WIth this setup BFG R1's wore perfectly flat.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More camber and caster are the next things on my list. Then more rear sway bar.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

On the C5 so far I have ran some OLD Hankook RS3's-They kept me VERY awake lol # Buttpucker.

Continental G5000 race takeoffs in 305/35/18-WOW #Supermantires

Also ran Pirelli race takeoff's on the rear with the Continental on front-Crazy #mindbendinggrip.

Quick Reply: Tires....