Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Lug nuts for racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lug nuts for racing

Not sure if this should go here in road racing or wheels and tires, but felt like road racing would be more fitting as I'm looking for function over form.

I ended up freezing up 2 lugs on a couple of my wheels after racing at a private track day event. Never put much thought into my studs and lug nuts but obviously I will need to take care of that now.

I plan on replacing all my studs with extended ARP studs but not sure where to go with the lug nuts. I'm thinking open ended lug nuts, I like the TWMPerformance titanium lug nuts but no way in hell I'm spending $450 on a set of lug nuts, I'd like to keep my limit to around $100. The Anodized aluminum lug nuts from improved racing seem good, anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the improved racing lugs on my ARP studs. four of them weigh about the same as a single steel nut. You just need to make sure you thread them by hand and torque them with a toque wrench, by hand. I've been running them for a year on my Z06 wheels and never hand any issues. I can give you a code to save you some bucks if you buy from Improved. PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beach cruiser
I run the improved racing lugs on my ARP studs. four of them weigh about the same as a single steel nut. You just need to make sure you thread them by hand and torque them with a toque wrench, by hand. I've been running them for a year on my Z06 wheels and never hand any issues. I can give you a code to save you some bucks if you buy from Improved. PM me if you're interested.
Awesome! good to hear! If you don't mind id gladly take the code. How long have you had the lug nuts on while racing?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Just go to your local auto parts store and get some open end nuts from Dorman. Steel, cheap, quality plating so they don't rust, and nice rolled threads. Lug nuts really aren't the smartest place to save weight. Seen many aluminum lugs pull the threads out.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Just go to your local auto parts store and get some open end nuts from Dorman. Steel, cheap, quality plating so they don't rust, and nice rolled threads. Lug nuts really aren't the smartest place to save weight. Seen many aluminum lugs pull the threads out.
Well already ordered the Aluminum ones and they should be fine for me on my application with some ARP studs and to be honest I'd rather the threads on the lug rip off instead of the lug taking my stud with it like it did to me earlier Name:  1023151442_zpsyyhcqv4b.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  457.0 KB kill a lug just replace, kill a stud and your done racing until a new one is pressed in, but I'll go ahead and pickup some dorman ones as backup. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Katech makes reasonably priced titanium lug nut.
http://store.katechengines.com/titan...spx?noredirect
Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an open Gorilla lug on my arp studs...cheap, robust and steel. takes a 13/16th socket instead of 19mm or 3/4..
Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How about using anti-seize?
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1981TA
How about using anti-seize?
do you use anti-seize? I thought about it but never really heard of many people doing it and there are a lot of articles warning about using it and over torqueing the lugs.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

On any car I use a GM open end nut. And yes...anti-seize is a must. I really can't see trying to save weight in the lugnut area. It's on the smallest part of the rotational mass. If overall weight is a factor, stay away from McDonalds for a few days.

Quick Reply: Lug nuts for racing