Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

PCA Autocross Race Videos. 12/13/2015.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCA Autocross Race Videos. 12/13/2015.

My Corvette was no match for the 2007 GT3 or the 2006 911 Carrera S. So if you can't beat them, join them. Let's face it, they rather see me driving a Porsche then a Corvette anyway. My friend offered up his Carrera S to me. This is no ordinary car. With a few hundred pounds removed, suspension and some motor work, this car rips. 2 seconds faster then my Corvette. Ouch! Although I did take the first slalom different in the two cars, I don't think that's the time difference. We both had 50 lap old Hoosiers. 2nd. overall out of 95 cars.

My car in practice. 58.6

Porsche in race. 56.6

Steve

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 12-14-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

So what were the times the owner of the Porsch was getting? That course looked really fast! Sounded like a little bit in 3rd and the rest was on the limited in 2nd?

Good driving!
Old 12-17-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
So what were the times the owner of the Porsch was getting? That course looked really fast! Sounded like a little bit in 3rd and the rest was on the limited in 2nd?

Good driving!
Thanks Greg. I was in 2nd. the whole time. The owner of the Porsche had a 56.624. I had a 56.643. That was close.

Steve
Old 12-18-2015, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Thanks Greg. I was in 2nd. the whole time. The owner of the Porsche had a 56.624. I had a 56.643. That was close.

Steve
Can you describe the differences you felt between the two cars? Provide us with a perspective on the way the Porsch drove as compared to what you are used to.

Watching videos from the comfort of my armchair makes the driving seem like it was no big deal and I always think "I could have gone much faster" and then I get to the next event and do the same thing.

I have to live through your videos right now while I prepare for my next season.
ThankS!

Greg
Old 12-19-2015, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
Can you describe the differences you felt between the two cars? Provide us with a perspective on the way the Porsch drove as compared to what you are used to.

Watching videos from the comfort of my armchair makes the driving seem like it was no big deal and I always think "I could have gone much faster" and then I get to the next event and do the same thing.

I have to live through your videos right now while I prepare for my next season.
ThankS!

Greg
The Porsche drives like a Go-Kart. You have so much more feedback through the seat of the pants and steering wheel. Stiffer bushings, stiffer suspension and race seat contribute to this. I'm not sure the power to weight ratio, but this car rockets between elements. The brakes feel much better too. In my car, with stock pads, it's pretty easy to get into the ABS without much stopping. I did not take advantage of it's braking ability. It seems like you can drive much deeper into the corners with out activating the ABS. I bet I could go roughly 20ft. to 30ft. further without a problem depending on your speed. The only area I found to be difficult was throttle control. In my Corvette you give it 1/8" push on the gas pedal and get 1/8" in return. Go 1/4" and you get that much more etc. Very linear. The Porsche was not like this at all. It seemed like nothing for quite awhile, then bam it takes off. The Porsche is way more fun to drive. It's very Raw feeling. My Corvette in comparison feels like my Grandmothers Camry. Ouch! My other Corvette that I sold, was very much like the Porsche. Although, I think my other Corvette was better in every way except for the brakes.

Sitting in the Armchair. I would agree that it looks slow and easy to do. Nothing we can do about that. The videos will never capture what's actually going on. Keep in mind, my rev-limiter is at 70 mph. It looks like 35mph. and that's why it looks so easy.
Hope you can get driving soon.
Steve

It's last race.

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 12-19-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Steve for the comparo on the two cars, Something to be said for having all the comfort and mostly stock car stay that close to a race car.

Video can't capture all the seat of the pants sensations that provide so much feedback for our decision making. I wish I knew a way to translate the distance from a video into my driving.

It'll be awhile now before I drive again, I started taking the engine apart last weekend for some maintenance and oiling issues and while it's apart, I might was well make the other changes to it I've been wanting in hopes of going faster next season.

Thanks for posting all your videos!

Quick Reply: PCA Autocross Race Videos. 12/13/2015.