Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Your first mistake was equating an f1 abs system to the factory abs system.
The factory abs system doesn't belong on a race car, it's literal garbage.
Pump the brakes there sport, I never specified any particular ABS system.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 260DET
Well I guess that some drivers can't brake without the aid of ABS and get to rely on it. But its no secret that skilled unaided braking gives better results.
Tell that to the 1" of inside tire on the ground that doesn't lock with functional ABS. Don't **** the system off driving like a hack and you will be faster with it than without.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 260DET
It's nothing to do with crappy drivers, as I've already mentioned ABS delete gives a driver an opportunity to use his skill to brake better without it. The choice lies with the driver, does he want to try to get an advantage over ABS drivers or not? Are we racing or not?
WROOOONG. Ever use a motorsports level ABS system? A non-abs car could never compete with it, even with the most skilled driver behind the wheel. Stop spewing ignorance.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

went back to the track monday

picked up a new Anderson Composites hood
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-hax8ls0.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-ox0pzzl.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-u2nmcm7.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-1dwxixt.jpg

shaved about 9 lbs. but i really bought it for the cooling, and reducing front end lift.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-2vttuxn.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-jkekmh0.jpg

few cool cars there
Mike Dusold was there with his twin turbo '67 from the Optima Street car series
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-kbvpyvn.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-v4ixlxe.jpg

also a 488 GT3 prewrap. a AMG GT3 also rolled by in the same all white, but i couldnt grab a pic fast enough
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-2rskfru.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-wu5afxn.jpg

Thanks to a tip from Sam Strano i swaped my OEM rear pads back on and it fixed my braking issue! (pedal push back on downshifts) now i find myself needing a bit more braking power, but i think i can get there.

dispite the horrible grip of the Toyo R888R, ive been working on a few corners and learning the track better, and was able to set a new PB.

my previous PB was a 2:25.7, did back to back 2:24.9s! still lots to learn but happy with the improvement, especially on these terrible tires.

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-j2kgs2u.jpg

Old 04-13-2019, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
As for a switch to cycle the ABS on course (magicmike), that sounds like a Very Bad Idea™. And not needed, ice mode comes and goes and, again IIRC, does not permanently hinder the car while its running, ie no need to have to reset it.
Hey now I don't strip! But seriously how long does yours stay in ice mode? On track its taken a half a lap to reset or I was near pit lane so I ducked in and restarted it but that sucks if you in a groove you don't want to hold back while all the cars you passed pass you back!
Old 04-17-2019, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

went back to the track last monday.

after success with the OEM rear pads fixing my braking issue, i swaped to some more agressive ST-43 pads i had laying around. they worked great as well. with more stopping power of course.

pretty uneventful day of fun. still hating the R888R tires though. horrible grip. cant wait to burn threw them. got a set of Rivals waiting.

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-cfhle46.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-ga1fexb.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-kl0ye7j.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-fjgtlfl.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-zu9faqc.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-lehnmlh.jpg

Old 04-17-2019, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A

WROOOONG. Ever use a motorsports level ABS system? A non-abs car could never compete with it, even with the most skilled driver behind the wheel. Stop spewing ignorance.
My comment concerns the OP's car and problematical ABS so stop quoting out of context to big note yourself.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
went back to the track last monday.

after success with the OEM rear pads fixing my braking issue, i swaped to some more agressive ST-43 pads i had laying around. they worked great as well. with more stopping power of course.

pretty uneventful day of fun. still hating the R888R tires though. horrible grip. cant wait to burn threw them. got a set of Rivals waiting.
Nice pics, the Z is turning into a race car! I like the hood too, do you notice any "lack of lift" now? Is the cooling better?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

thanks! yeah i think its gonna continue down that path
im not sure its enough to notice. but im sure its helping. plus this track doesnt have the speeds of TWS.
both track days have been pretty cool. but you can definatly "see" it working sitting in the car when stoped. the heat waves coming out of it are very plainly visible.
as with most mods i dont think it will be a night and day difference, more of a little help here and there. it all adds up.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

late getting this posted, and not much to post.

Finally was able to get the best out of the Toyo R888Rs. 30 psi was the ticket, hit 31 and they would start to slide, push, and shutter. still worst than the BFG Rivals, but the best the R888Rs have been. luckily this should be there last outing. rears are nearly bald.

now that i got the exhaust joints fixed and sloted, so they clamp good and stay together, now its finding the next weak point. keeps just pulling the exhaust out of the rear hangers. its like the whole exhaust is about 1-2" too short. had to repair the exhaust wrap too. i think it drug on trailer unloading and cut it.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-gph6oen.jpg

Stupid Porsche club rules. have to wear pants. the ONLY HPDE that has this rule. there lucky i forgot i had my plaid pajama "pants" in my luggage! i would have worn them as a FU. had to rent a fire suit.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-gwfvbhm.jpg

SLC superlite
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-tugsfmu.jpg

this was the first somewhat warm day with the new hood (mid 80s) and i felt like it was doing some cooling good. i felt like the temp needle was a good 1-2 marks lower than before.

the brakes with the ST-43 rear pads were great.

watched a bimmer go off. looked like maybe a harsh downshift locked the rears initiating the slide.

got to do 1/2 lap with a 488 Pista. i ran him in a early morning session and he was a road block. super slow. then in the afternoon, it had to be a different driver, MUCH faster.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-uly5k9k.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-xgo4rf6.jpg

i had gone off prior in the session. got black flaged for that, 1/2 lap into the battle with the 488 Pista. right as he went off too.
excuses: my toyos were **** and on there last session (rears bald)
i could get him under braking, but he could get on power SO much earlier with rear engine. and i was no match for his 710 HP.
really bummed i got black flaged and had to come in. i really wanted to play some more.

random cell vid
Old 05-26-2019, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW once you go wheel to wheel you won't get black flagged for going off, you'll just come in after the race and laugh about it with your friends.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

working on that.....
Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

You should really be leaning toward an enclosed trailer if you're not already. Obviously I keep my suit in there, but I also keep an old flight suit as well in case I do a random track day that requires long sleeves/pants. The suit is hot as hell in the summer! It's nice to keep stuff permanently in the trailer as there's now less crap to pack every time you hit tue track. You've been at this a while and I can tell you from experience the enclosed is soooo much nicer than open deck. Gives you a place to sleep too.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

definitely the way to go. but a enclosed trailer, would also mean having to buy a real truck. to go and have to buy an enclosed trailer AND a truck, even used is WAAAAY more money than i want to dump in right now. im very happy with my setup for now.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
definitely the way to go. but a enclosed trailer, would also mean having to buy a real truck. to go and have to buy an enclosed trailer AND a truck, even used is WAAAAY more money than i want to dump in right now. im very happy with my setup for now.
I've been towing enclosed with my 1500 since 2014, granted it has been beefed up.

This is with a ~9000# 24 footer. Empty it was 4600 when I bought it, if you go aluminum they can be under 3000# at 24 feet, so you can skip the double whammy of truck and trailer depending on what you have which I believe you posted a few months ago and I've already forgotten.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

glad to see you got the door, ..door.
i cant imagine all these people with enclosed without one. that would be a must for me. especially with my worsening mobility.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
You should really be leaning toward an enclosed trailer if you're not already. Obviously I keep my suit in there, but I also keep an old flight suit as well in case I do a random track day that requires long sleeves/pants. The suit is hot as hell in the summer! It's nice to keep stuff permanently in the trailer as there's now less crap to pack every time you hit tue track. You've been at this a while and I can tell you from experience the enclosed is soooo much nicer than open deck. Gives you a place to sleep too.
So you have a race suit and a flight suit? And the flight suit is hot? Just wondering as I'm stepping up the safety effort and I saw the flight suits on eBay for like 40 bucks and thinking of going that route.

As for the trailer, I bought a big truck bed tool box off Craigslist and mounted it on the front of my flat bed trailer. Just another option to store spares and safety gear. Obviously not as useful as an enclosed but a cheaper option.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

The flight suit is much cooler than the race suit. I have a cheap race suit like the one the OP rented and it's basically a snowsuit. I intend to upgrade to a higher grade racing suit though from this site as they sell used $2,000 suits in the $300-400 range.

http://www.raceimage.com/

I did the toolbox on the front of my open trailer as well, I kept my straps in there as well as jack, stands, toolbox, etc.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

back to the track!

Midnight thrash
2 days before the event i had the old Toyos removed and back to fresh BFG Rivals. more on that later.

when i went to go put the rear wheel back on i notice this. on both rear rotors.

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-zez0yz3.jpg

with no way to order in time, in a panic i look up every Autozone, Advanced, Oreillys, and Napa within 3 cities. NO one has any. i finally track down a single set at an Oreilly. unfortuntly on such short notice could only get drilled rotors, so it will just happen again. also swaped to Hawk DTC 60 rear pads

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-ramnhzp.jpg

then as im putting on the very last wheel, the drivers front. one of the lugs welded itself to the stud. i thought "ill show this lug". ill get the impact on it. well that just made things worse. finally had no choice but to cut off the lug. once removed i ran a die over the stud to clean it up.

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-h6hh6ec.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-nkgg2sf.jpg

then the next day. 1 day before i leave the alternator goes out. (possibly from getting wet from vented hood? or just age and heat most likely) luckily this was my first vehicle that had the alternator right on top. was a 5 minute job luckily.

Monsoon
I see its supposed to rain at the track at 4 night before, so i leave early. FIVE miles from the track the bottom lets out. so i got to unload the trailer alone in a severe thunderstorm. down pour rain, 20 mph winds and lightning everywhere. got completely soaked but the job done. used the hotel hair dryer to dry my shoes genius

Day of!
perfect weather the day of, and the previous day rain was so hard and fast, it didnt soak in, so no drainage across the track.

guessed wrong on cold pressures for first session and hot pressures got to 42 and 43psi! even that high the BFGs STILL out gripped the R888Rs at there optimal hot psi! grip was back and so good. it would do everything i asked of it.

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-rwjnf71.jpg

New Best!
During the second session i had run a 2:24.55s! and in the 3rd session a pair of 2:24.2s! beating my all time fastest laps of 2:24.9! i was so excited.
but also racechrono had two first laps on session 2 and 3 that were so fast i didnt even believe them. and they were both first lap which i thought i had found in the past to be inaccurate gps from exiting the pits.

once home and a couple days later, to my surprise and just out of curiosity i check those 2 laps on both the gopros running at the time. and i couldnt believe it they were real!
i SHATTERED my previous best lap time by 1.8 seconds!!!!!!
running a 2:23.1 and a 2:23.4!!!!!!!

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-ouwnzbf.jpg

Final session
Last run of the day. after a few laps i notice a new vibration. slow down for a lap and then decide to come in. seemed worse at speed and on right hand turns. i couldn't figure it out definatly wasnt RPM/motor related.

well as im prepping to load the car on the trailer and pack the jeep in the pits, a guy drives up to me with a smirk on his face. he hands me this and says "this flew off your car."

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-z8rovnt.jpg

i immediately look and find the missing hole on the drivers rear. i then check the other lugs and both nuts on either side of the missing one were completely loose. only 2 lugs were tight, next to each other, was the only thing holding on the wheel!
I tell the guy that brought it "this is gonna sound crazy, but this just made my day" cause that was gonna be a long drive home and days after trying to locate the cause of that vibration.

a roller coaster of a weekend, but worth it with a hell of a new personal best time!
Old 06-22-2019, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey look, you finally believe that 888s are a **** tire and bfg's work better.

surprise.

Quick Reply: STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"