Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear it's something small and easily fixable.

I had a customer running Road America who thought the steering felt numb as well - we vented the hood, added a small front chin spoiler and under-tray and the car felt much better.

When there is nothing but lift on the front end even a small spoiler is only going to make the problem worse.

There's a lot of good info on the lift issues on this thread:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ro-lift-7.html

Page 4 or 5 Lou from LG motorsports talks about the lift generated by the air dams under the car.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Man what a great thread! I have really enjoyed reading except like others said, when you bailed on the 4th gen and went to the dark side with the Vette! (Which is an awesome car and glad the ticking was minor)

So I've heard bad things about tracking OEWheels.llc. I have been running them on the street for a long time and a few autox's but usually in the rain with those but I've read that they arent strong enough. Did you research strength or track failures with them? Seems like the CCW's would be better for your track wheels and use the OE's for street duty.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

haha thanks i appreciate that you enjoy the thread, makes all the efforts worth it.
i do still have the camaro and miss it. it just feels so right. and no one expects it to do ****.

i try to steer clear of hearing/reading etc. i can only tell you about my personal experiences with them.
ive run OE track wheels on both the camaro and vette now. ran them on the camaro for about a year, pretty much every month. i beat the **** out of them on the curbs, with super high temps (enough to boil brake fluid and change the rotors and caliper color to gold) and have never had a single issue.
ive only been Tracking the Oe wheels on the vette for 2 months now but havent had any issues yet.

love your avatar btw. my wife bought a brand new 02 SOM WS6 in 2002, and its the only car shes owned and dailys it for the last 15 years. shes at nearly the exact same milage. about 221k. all origonal motor. trans has had a few minor rebuilds though (auto)
Old 04-11-2017, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Took the Z out to a NCCC autocross in Waco at Baylor stadium.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-r66minj.jpg

unfortunatly on the first run my exhaust some how popped off both sides of the X pipe at the first set of cones. limped back to the pits and got it fixed missing the first and second runs.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-fwp7rts.jpg

get in line and started run #3, boom exhaust pops off again at gate 3. this time only one side. i move the clamps over the lip and get them to clamp down tight this time.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-h4nd6zs.jpg

Finally get some runs in and in the afternoon post my fastest of the day a 47.8
the 1st and 2nd place points leaders were there running low 46s so i was happy. most of the feild was running low 50s. got to really push myself and the car for the first time. getting more comfortable with it. went over the limit a few times

my fastest run

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-p1xxoyo.jpg

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS 2; 07-22-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
haha thanks i appreciate that you enjoy the thread, makes all the efforts worth it.
i do still have the camaro and miss it. it just feels so right. and no one expects it to do ****.

i try to steer clear of hearing/reading etc. i can only tell you about my personal experiences with them.
ive run OE track wheels on both the camaro and vette now. ran them on the camaro for about a year, pretty much every month. i beat the **** out of them on the curbs, with super high temps (enough to boil brake fluid and change the rotors and caliper color to gold) and have never had a single issue.
ive only been Tracking the Oe wheels on the vette for 2 months now but havent had any issues yet.

love your avatar btw. my wife bought a brand new 02 SOM WS6 in 2002, and its the only car shes owned and dailys it for the last 15 years. shes at nearly the exact same milage. about 221k. all origonal motor. trans has had a few minor rebuilds though (auto)
Thats why I like my 4th gen, always does the unexpected! I know the OE wheels are decent at least, I did hit some rocks with a set at about 60mph (avoiding t-boning a lady that stopped in my lane right in front of me) that blew both passenger side tires and left a nice dent in the wheels. That hit was probably on their strongest part against the circle versus a lateral load that racing on sticky tires see, but your use makes me feel better about getting a set or 10.5's from them for 315 tires.

My 222k odometer was from some time ago, up to 310k now but it might be awhile before I get to snap a 333,333 pic since I drive less than 20 miles a day now where I used to do 80. Not much is original now but the engine was pulled around 283k and still ran strong and I could have gone much longer but I wanted to rebuild it for a swap project. Got a new trans just before 200k and still fine, probably go to Tick or somewhere similar when it gets bad. Thats awesome that your wife is the original owner of hers, she better not ever let it go. People don't realize how reliable these cars can be!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^Man, Corvette club represent! Your C6 looks nice running thru the cones
Old 04-14-2017, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

even with the valves open on the stock NPP exhaust, the car wasnt loud enough for me.

i picked up some 3" Dynomax mini race bullets and turndowns
getting the car high enough in the driveway to get the stock exhaust out was quiet tricky. passenger side was even harder than drivers side.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-8ze7uyo.jpg

plan was to also shave a TON of weight.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-vsozf4c.jpg

bullets on
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-grzlmeh.jpg

turn downs (for what!)
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-lyst1pc.jpg

now im used to a loud car, my SS was usually always the loudest car at the track. running a single 12" Dynomax bullet dumping under the rear seats.
but this was TOO loud even for me. it sounded like 7 nascars and 2 prostocks all fireing up at the same time! theres no way i could ever drive anywhere without being immediately pulled over.

the camera could NOT pick up how loud this thing was. shaking the ground. my wife had ear plugs in filming this

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS 2; 07-22-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeaaa.... those are not mufflers at ALL. You might as well run straight pipes...oh wait you are LOL How you thought those would have any impact on sound is beyond me I don't know how they consider those a "muffler" or "resonator". Muffler is all dependent on case size typically. Try some 4" round 3" through magnaflow "magnapacks"?

Those SHOULD be what you are looking for. Shave some weight and still dump them before the rear axle. If still too loud maybe run them out the back. I have found the farther back you place a muffler the louder it is.

Obviously the stock muffler is HUGE in size, which is why it can be placed in the back but still reduce the sound.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

well i pulled a last minute thrash session and got the stock exhaust put back on the night before and headed back to TWS last weekend.

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-juq6ysx.jpg

and after reading a thread on c6 z06 aero lift, i also removed the front air damn under the radiator/nose. it seems to help. wasnt near as dancy and it was the first time.

the auto cross really helped me and i was able to push much harder this time. was comfortable enough to start throttle steering on exits again like i did in the camaro.
was pushing hard enough id have to do a cool down lap for the water and oil temps after 4 or so straight hot laps. going to need to address that.

i found myself doing more of a stop, pivot, and squirt style driving in the Z06 than i did in the camaro, camaro i did more of a flowing miata style driving. but for some reason this car makes me slam on the brakes, pivot, and then gun it. not sure why, but i noticed it.

was the first time ive ever seen the debris flag for low flying buzzards crossing the paths of the cars on the back stretch. that was a weird one.

found out the Z burn 5 gallons of gas for every 20 minute session.

heres some footage compilation of some of the laps.

Lap time update!
backstory: i use race chrono app for my lap timing. worked great in the camaro (glass t-tops).
well i noticed since using it in the Z06 its been acting weird, it will only records 1 to 3 laps per 10 lap session and the lap times were much slower than i had hoped for 2:04 to 2:09 and very random. (1:59 was fastest in camaro)
well during the video editing i mark the time for the start of each lap for each view.
well i noticed one of the lap markers was exactly 2 minutes apart. and then after that the next two were 1:59s! matching the fastest of the camaro!
well when i got to the 5th gopro footage and i had two laps that were 1:57!!! i checked them twice on both cameras that were rolling and i got 1:57 each time for both laps.
i couldnt figure out why i felt like i was hauling and the lap times were so slow. i dont know if the roof is carbon fiber like the fenders and not allowing good GPS signal or what. but a huge relief that the new car has already paid off in lap times! i couldnt figure out what i was doing wrong. stupid technology.

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-kw6eh4h.jpg

bad news is on sunday on the last session before lunch i got an engine light on the dash, and the car started to run rough, getting progressively worse. so i loaded it up and brought it home.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS 2; 07-22-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

well in an effort lower my oil and water temp, and to reduce the high pressure packing under the hood causing my front end aero lift at high speeds on the track, i picked up a 5th gen camaro SS heat extractor vent (part #22828242)

started by checking clearances with some string. there was none. but the strings were 1/2" below the hood line, and plus i forgot the hood has a bulge in the middle.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-cr11orv.jpg

started by tracing the vent onto a piece of paper, then offsetting in .6" with another line for the actual hole
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-jv3o5he.jpg

marking front to back
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-u80pe6p.jpg

marking side to side center
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-fhyhhhk.jpg

pattern cut out and taped into place. 6.5" from back of hood to the start of the opening (just inside under hood structure brace)
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-s396ro2.jpg

traced with sharpie
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-atwyaee.jpg

BUTT PUCKER!!!!!!!! took one deep breath and drilled four 1/2" holes.
tape to protect paint
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-qrofhn6.jpg

took my jig saw and cut it out. worked perfect. super clean cuts.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-yuaebui.jpg

under side. bent up some 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum and bolted it in
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-ol8bfgg.jpg

painted the aluminum brackets black, and cut out the factory hood insulation for a factory look.
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-qyojwih.jpg

finished!
STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-2h9gic0.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-phivop5.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-hwnksku.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-ywoen4x.jpg

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"-efmxrpf.jpg

took it out for test drive on the street and after warmed up you could see a 6"-8" heat wave shooting out of the vents at stop lights. after sitting for a few hours back at home, the hood was stone cold, and you could still feel heat coming out of the vents.
anxious to get back to the track to see if its more front end planted, and if my temps lower

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS 2; 07-22-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Awesome job dude!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you figure out why it was running rough at the end of your last track day?

Hood looks great - very clean!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

yeah ended up being a o2 sensor heater gone bad.

thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
yeah ended up being a o2 sensor heater gone bad.

thanks!
your hood looks great, I'm going to have to remember that one if I ever pick up a c6
Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

You worry about rain? I've always wondered that on a semi daily driven car with water dropping all over the motor, more specifically any electronics.

I know factory cars come with hood vents (like 5th gen camaro).
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

not at all, GM did a great job weather packing everything. i mean its not like the motor stays dry when your driving threw the rain with a factory hood. ive been hosing off (cold) LS motors for 15 years, never had a single issue ever on any of them.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

I 100% agree the bottom of the motor getting wet while driving. The top half...I wouldn't think so.

I've contemplated doing vents, but on a LT1 Fbody hood I need to see where the best place would be and how much room I have.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some cars breath air into the engine bay different than others... vents placed on left and right of motor are usually best. Then with regard them being positioned toward mid hood or more toward the firewall is where trial and error has paid off. At least from feedback I've read.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

I have seen what you are mentioning about on the side of he motor.

My concern there is water dripping into the engine bay and potentially on top of hot headers. The repetitive quenching of cool water on hot headers I suspect won't be wise LOL

Any plan to vent under hood temps is never a bad thing IMO.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I have seen what you are mentioning about on the side of he motor.

My concern there is water dripping into the engine bay and potentially on top of hot headers. The repetitive quenching of cool water on hot headers I suspect won't be wise LOL

Any plan to vent under hood temps is never a bad thing IMO.
I'm just referring to air pressure, that creates lift/understeer. Not even cooling factors.

Quick Reply: STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"