Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Can't make up my mind..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
How long exactly were the sessions?

I found that even with a small stall (26-2800) using a good size stacked plate cooler mounted right in front of the car the trans temp would never go over 210-220 even in 80 something degree weather after 20 minutes.
We were just dicking around doing laps. But when the local guys do a track day at Hallet in OK they do 20min sessions.

20 mins straight of very hard driving might be enough to tax the trans temps...but I'm not certain either, never done it nor do I know anyone who has tracked a stalled 4l60e.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

it depends on myriad factors. weight of the vehicle vs stall speed vs rear gear, I think is the most important. If you have a deep rear like a 2.83, and a very high stall like 3000 or 3800rpm, with a very heavy vehicle 3800lbs, the trans is going to sit at max stall, slipping, generating ALOT of temperature rise.

On the other hand, something that gets out of its stall range quickly and tightens up like a 3.73 gear with 2800stall in a 2800lbs vehicle will probably never get hot. \

Once you are moving good, if you have the converter clutch for it, you lock it up. They make a triple plate lockup clutch for even nitrous users trying to lock it 1:1. This takes all the slip out of the equation, and this is mostly how you will want to track it, it will behave as if you had a manual trans. The ONLY reason it cannot completely mimic the manual is because the auto's internal parts are slightly heavier, giving you a few % less economy and a few % less power at the wheel. Th gear different (engine speed vs road speed) is negligible with a converter since you can unlock at will (simulating a "downshift" without downshifting). Such a minor price to pay for such consistency/ease of use.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This strikes me as extremely odd. I've heard of people with coolers running much, much hotter than that. Hell, I've gotten my T56 into the 270s on my Z06. Had the rear axle boiling in my Z28, I'm certain its T56 gets far north of 210 and it has no torque converter to cook the fluid. You not pushing the car that hard?
I was pushing the car as hard as it could handle. Now I'm no pro and the course wasn't exactly high speed, so the WOT bursts were relatively short save for the long straightaway... but nonetheless, I was on the accelerator pedal with an unlocked stall for much of that 20 minute session.

And don't forget, this is a big *** cooler I'm talking about, something in the range of 45,000 BTUs...not some wimpy little thing. So not all coolers are created equal or have the same capacity to cool. And if they are placed in a poor position where they don't get much airflow and rely only on a fan to move air it might not be as efficient as one in the exposed nose of the car where it had 0 obstructions and was fed direct air at high speed.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZOBETZ
Thank you very much for the reply, and I am just looking for opinions and recommendations. Along with some real life experiences to back some of it up. I like the paddle shifter thought, would also be very original too. I will start looking at that stuff also. (Prolly make it an even harder decision) lol
I realize this is an old post but if youre going with an auto you better build it strong before I did the t56 swap in my fbody I took it to my local road course with an auto 4160e just to see how long it would last I knew it wouldnt last long because i was ***** 450 rwhp. Sadly the transmission didnt do well it lasted 2 laps and was destroyed after going around the last corner. If you dont like the idea of a manual trans with better gas mileage and that will perform better on the track Id get whatever auto trans you get it take it to a reputable shop to have it heavily beefed up. Let me know what you choose if you havent chosen yet, even so an update would b cool.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I can't think of any good reason to use an automatic on a road course. Too big, too heavy, too difficult to keep cool, and not enough control.

IMO, about the best thing out there is a Levy Racing T5, with a 5" dual disc clutch. Still has an OD for the highway. And saves about 60 pounds over the stock T56. Also available with dog rings and straight cut gears.

Some day...
Old 10-03-2016, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this post I actually picked up a T56 for 500$ from someone local. Needed rebuilt so at the moment I'm saving up to send it to tick for a full rebuild. Thanks for all the input fellas.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved being able to cruise down the highway and mash on the gas with my auto. It was relaxing. But once I got serious about AutoX I traded my car for a 6 spd. If you want to be competitve, its hard to do so when you and the car arent working in unison. The 6 spd allows you more control of the car for upshifts, downshifts, engine braking, weight transfer etc. You can get it done with an auto no doubt, but it would be more difficult.

At the end of the day whats important to you. When I was drag racing we all knew tit for tat, autos when every time. Throw corners into the mix and that all goes out the window though.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

But once I got serious about AutoX I traded my car for a 6 spd. If you want to be competitve, its hard to do so when you and the car arent working in unison.
After driving both a 4 speed auto and 6 speed manual on a roadcourse, I would tend to agree to that statement.

However, I will ask this, since you mentioned being competitive in AutoX...what is the benefit of having a 6 speed manual and staying in 2nd gear the ENTIRE run (which is the case for 99% of AutoX runs) vs. a 4 speed automatic and also staying in the same gear the whole time? In that case, why wouldn't you be as competitive with an auto as with the manual?
Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
After driving both a 4 speed auto and 6 speed manual on a roadcourse, I would tend to agree to that statement.

However, I will ask this, since you mentioned being competitive in AutoX...what is the benefit of having a 6 speed manual and staying in 2nd gear the ENTIRE run (which is the case for 99% of AutoX runs) vs. a 4 speed automatic and also staying in the same gear the whole time? In that case, why wouldn't you be as competitive with an auto as with the manual?
Direct coupling to the driveline vs no coupling at all.

Though to be fair, I know of a couple fast powerglide cars that have autoX stalls in them (900-1200 stall speed) that work pretty well

Quick Reply: Can't make up my mind..