Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

PCA Autocross Race. 4/24/2016.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCA Autocross Race. 4/24/2016.

This track definitely had a "wow" factor at the end. Although it sounds slow, going through a slalom in 3rd. gear is a thrill that's hard to put into words. 3rd. overall with street tires.

Steve
Old 04-26-2016, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Looks Fun Steve! How many miles on your engine? Seems like you get a lot of courses where it bumps the rev limiter and I wonder how many times a person gets to do that before a rebuild. I love the sound of those engines! There was a red C5Z06 at my last autocross and I just loved hearing that car go by as I was working the cones. I would dearly love to have that kind of go power in my TA.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hi Greg. The motor has 33k on it. Bought it with 17k. So far so good. The rev-limiter has been bumped up too.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
Looks Fun Steve! How many miles on your engine? Seems like you get a lot of courses where it bumps the rev limiter and I wonder how many times a person gets to do that before a rebuild. I love the sound of those engines! There was a red C5Z06 at my last autocross and I just loved hearing that car go by as I was working the cones. I would dearly love to have that kind of go power in my TA.
Rev limiter's there for a reason. I bought mine with 99k on the clock, bumped the limiter, and hit the track for a couple seasons then bought a race car. Z06 is none worse for the wear and burns no oil on the street.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Supercharged- Are you going to the PPIR Optima event? I believe it's July 9-10. I think we are coming up for that one. I grew up in CO and lived there for 40 years.

I asked the question because some guys running really powerful LS3 are going through blocks every year. Now, these are the cars that get flogged every weekend and rev to 6500 and spend a lot of time at those kind of revs and put down 500+ to the wheels- so not your stock engine and application...
Old 05-05-2016, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

I'll be out of town for work. I don't know what the entry fees are, but I'm sure they're not worth the track time. I kinda want to do the hill climb too, but I'd miss a race or 2 from my regular season to drive a time trial with nobody up my ***. I'd honestly rather drive to MSR Cresson and live it up in a 15 car field and finish mid pack.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I don't know what the entry fees are, but I'm sure they're not worth the track time.
The Optima entry fees are pricey, I agree with that. They are ABSOLUTELY worth it though. I am a no name beginner autocross guy running an old car that is still mostly stock, I even have the rear drum brakes still. I had a blast at the optima event I went to and learned a lot from the instructors provided. I had much more seat time in this event then any other 3 events combined. Most of the events I attend I get my 6-8 laps that take a total of 5 min actual driving and then spend 4 hrs on course watching cones and the cars that knock them down. At Optima I spent the entire morning in my car seat driving and, then resting and reviewing what I was going to do next and then it was time to go again. I got 12 autocross runs in the AM session and was beat. Then in the afternoon I had the speed stop and I got 12 runs in there before I was loosing concentration and my times were dropping- there was still another hour I could have run. I never was in this to be competitive, but when I looked at my GTV category times at the end of the day, I placed really well-top 10 with 8 pro drivers!
Old 05-08-2016, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

What were the lap times? Most auto-x times are in the 60-70 second range.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
What were the lap times? Most auto-x times are in the 60-70 second range.
I think the lap times vary greatly depending on the venue. In the TX event a really fast time was 42 sec. I was right on 46. The speed stop times ranged from 11 to 18.

Quick Reply: PCA Autocross Race. 4/24/2016.