Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

AutoX, Rear end swap puts me in what class?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default AutoX, Rear end swap puts me in what class?

So my 10 bolt needs to be rebuilt. Looking at the cost it seems pointless to rebuild it as opposed to putting that towards a 9" or the like.

My question is, are swaps legal and in what class? Or should i even care since im not planning on going to nationals or anything. I run in ESP now locally and don't want that one thing bumping me in to classes with crazy cars. I like to stay competitive in my class.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

why not just run cam
Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Because CAM allows unrestricted drivetrain and engine along with lexan and tons of other stuff. Way out classing my car without boatloads more money in it.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

It still requires a huge minimum weight.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

So back to my original question. Swapping rearend moves me up from ESP to what? What's the next class up?
Old 09-19-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Pretty sure a rear axle swap is ok for any SP class as long as you keep the original gear ratio, so you would have to stick with 3.42. That leaves you with the 12bolt as the only option. Changing the gear ratio would kick a f-body into CP.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What are your final goals for racing? Competitive to a class or competitive overall?

Like you mentioned one allows you to dump unlimited money into it, the other keeps the leash on you.

I modify anything that is a weak link. If it bumps me out of a class, eh. I just like to move up the raw time rankings.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya know, right now I'm not entirely sure what my ultimate goals are. Local club races for sure. Yes I want to be competitive both overall and in my class but I honestly don't believe I will be attending nationals or anything like that. The car is a 3rd vehicle, so I'm not concerned with it being a daily or anything.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Decide on your goals for the car and yourself when it comes to autocross. THEN mod the car accordingly.

Because it will suck if you decide to do a modification THEN decide to stick to a class only to realize you can not compete in that class...

I find pleasure in fabricating and improving things in general. You can not run rod ended rear LCA's in ESP, BUT I have left over tubular material to make some...so guess what, I'm making some. Does it take me out of ESP? Yes. Do I care? No because locally there isn't a big ESP class AND I never plan to do any national event. I will do all local stuff (which no one will care if I have rod ended LCA's in ESP) or driving schools etc.

This is a hobby that get e in the garage to blow off steam from work and clear my head. So IMO when I have "rules and regulations" to build to, I will get annoyed. I like the fabrication freedom. Then again, I don't have the wallet to be competitive in CP class either. This is something my wife and I do for fun.

When the car doesn't break, we improve our times throughout the day, we by default have fun together.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To maintain legality in the ESP class, you have to stay with an original equipment rear end from a 4th gen F-body. LSD is open though. Let this be your guide.
http://www.scca.com/downloads/13604-...egory/download

Quick Reply: AutoX, Rear end swap puts me in what class?