Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Brake Setup for AutoX and Track day use

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Setup for AutoX and Track day use

Hello all,

I'm building my '02 SS 6sp for the new STP autocross class.

I'm interesetd to know what brake setup everyone is using for autox and light track day use?

I was thinking either OEM blanks, or rotoworks slotted rotors, HP+ front StopTech rear pads.

Are the oem Blank rotors up to the challenge?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running a CTS-V swap with camaro 2010 rotors & Hawk HPS's up front but that's overkill for autocross. Blanks with HP+ will be great for autox but they're noisy and dusy as hell if that's an issue for you.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't imagine that that brake setup you mentioned won't be enough for autox and light track days. Autox barely even exercises the brakes and depending on what type of road racing you do. If the courses are heavy on braking zones and you have long straights where you need to come down from 150+ to 40 you might want to upgrade to something bigger for the thermal management. Anything else you will be fine especially for a relatively light car.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah blank rotors and the right pad are fine for AX. For severe track use, consider some ducts, but like already said, depends on the track.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I run stock LS1 calipers with brakemotive slotted rotors (would have gone blanks if they offered them) and HP+ pads. Need some heat to bite, but a noticeable improvement over generic or even HPS pads.

Downside is they dust a GOOD amount. Even 10min daily driving you will develop a light film. After a weekend of autocross my wheels were coated. If I hit them with my hand, brake dust would fall out of the corners...

I don't do track days though.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like I'm heading in the right direction. Car is going to be Tracked at the local track PBIR and homestead.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tikiman12
Thanks for the input guys. Seems like I'm heading in the right direction. Car is going to be Tracked at the local track PBIR and homestead.
Track pads and auto X pads do not crossover. Put good brake fluid in the car also like ATE, Motul or SRF
Old 02-03-2017, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't put HP+ on your car if you want to go to the road course. You'll burn right through them. Those pads are junk.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Don't put HP+ on your car if you want to go to the road course. You'll burn right through them. Those pads are junk.
Good to know. I like them for autocross, granted RR is a different animal.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

They don't handle track use well in a 3000lb car. People like them for ax, they work decent cold and heat up quickly. I never liked HP+, they have excessive bite and tend to lock wheels very easily. They also don't respond to modulation well when locked up (some pads are better than others at releasing locked wheels).

If you are willing to spend a little more money, you could get 2 sets of pads from carbotech -the ax6 and one of their xp series track pads. The ax compound works great at lower temps, and can be used on the street. If you plan to go to the road course, slap in the xp pads and go to town. Because they are based off a similar compound, you can use the same rotors and there is no need to re-bed the pads. Just swap and go. It's more expensive but there are no trade-offs.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

I would dump the HP+ in a similar performance pad that dusts less. I DD on them and it gets old having to keep up on the dust lol
Old 02-05-2017, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

If you like the Carbotechs, look up G Loc Pads. Same compounds and guys. Better prices.

I like Carbotech but switched.

They don't handle track use well in a 3000lb car. People like them for ax, they work decent cold and heat up quickly. I never liked HP+, they have excessive bite and tend to lock wheels very easily. They also don't respond to modulation well when locked up (some pads are better than others at releasing locked wheels).

If you are willing to spend a little more money, you could get 2 sets of pads from carbotech -the ax6 and one of their xp series track pads. The ax compound works great at lower temps, and can be used on the street. If you plan to go to the road course, slap in the xp pads and go to town. Because they are based off a similar compound, you can use the same rotors and there is no need to re-bed the pads. Just swap and go. It's more expensive but there are no trade-offs.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I use Carbotech ax6 for street and AX. Love em. A lot of dust, but cleans off easily.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I would dump the HP+ in a similar performance pad that dusts less. I DD on them and it gets old having to keep up on the dust lol
Unfortunately, that isn't a possibility. Dust just gets worse the more aggressive the pads gets. Some brands have easier to clean dust, though.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

The HP+ dust is easy to clean...I also don't let it sit on the wheels for long periods of time to where it starts to embed in the wheel. Takes a simple dirty towel with water to wipe it off.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info.
I'm not worried about dust, this car is dedicated AX and track day vehicle only.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

I used to run Napa Gold pads on a stock rear setup
DCT-10's with C5 Calipers on the front, and a PP valve of course

DCT-10's shoot fire, and kill rotors, but after I used them for optima road course I used them to autocross because with a little heat they were much better thank Hawk HP+
Old 02-13-2017, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I'm running a CTS-V swap with camaro 2010 rotors & Hawk HPS's up front but that's overkill for autocross. Blanks with HP+ will be great for autox but they're noisy and dusy as hell if that's an issue for you.
yep, im running CTSV calipers and 2010 SS rotors, with Hawk HP+ pads there amazing.
my stock brakes overheated so bad my rotors turned gold, and it boiled my brake fluid and i went off track.
i also found the CTSV front setup to eliminate my ABS issues. stock the rear would try to pass the fronts, and abs was always kicking in and fighting me. CTSV fronts eliminated all that.

Originally Posted by redtan
you will be fine especially for a relatively light car.
light car? my SS was typically the heaviest car at every AX and road course.

ive had great luck with HP+ pads. excelent braking power and initial bite lap after lap in texas 100* heat for eight 20 minute sessions per day. 140 mph high speed track. they dont eat rotors or fade. they do dust alot, but thats any race pad, the dust is safe even after leaving on for months, wipes right off with no pitting. even on my sensitive black chrome wheels. they do squeel a bit under light street braking. again normal for a race pad
just bought my 3rd set of HP+ with no plans to change. price is good too.

check out my thread, i go into great detail on my brakes
https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...oes-racin.html
Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Teching In

While I love Hawk's street pads, I've had better luck with Carobtech's XP10 pad. Minus the dust the work just fine on the street, but on the track they really kick ***. No fade so far after multiple stops coming down from about 145 mph.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Carbotech / C6 Z51 rotors / Wilwood 6 pots and cooling ducts here. Way overkill for autoX, but the car is beat pretty hard on the track. Candidly, I think I could probably get away with Base C6 rotors and more common calipers like Corvette or CTS-V.

Quick Reply: Brake Setup for AutoX and Track day use