Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

So... Front Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default So... Front Hubs

What is everyone doing about the front hubs these days? 3-5 weekends is all I get out of a set of MOOG's before they start developing some play. Here are the options I'm looking at:

- Accept the fact that I will be doing a hub swap along with every oil change (Thank God for AutoZone's 3 year warranty on MOOGs )

- Pony up for the Hoosiers. But I haven't seen much feedback on these and how long they last before you have to rebuild them. Anyone?

- SKF Corvette Hubs with adapters. Looks good but where can I get the actual adapters? Do they sell them anymore?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:47 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I was waiting for the Hoosiers to release when building my car but when it came down to it it seemed like one delay after another and I lost faith that they would ever become available. Right about the same time "Dulaney" on cmc forum started making batches of the skf vette hub adapters and I snagged up a set and then some x tracker hubs from HoosierPE with longer studs all assembled and shipped to me. So in the end I supported both dulaney and Hoosier PE. I can't say about longegivity, but I don't see the adapter bracket being a wearable item anyway. The Vette hubs have been proven to be excellent in even heavier cars on track and huge sticky tires, so that I'm not worried about. I don't think I'll have to worry about the Vette hubs going out of production anytime soon either and if and when they go bad it's as simple as unbolting them and swapping them out. No messy grease, pullers, etc. imo it's all a win win. Both options cost about the same, and both are awesome quality products. kudos to Hoosier for bringing it to the game, but due to the limited amount of people wanting to track these old cars, I doubt they'll keep them in production very long unfortunately. This alone scares me as well, if I were to have bought the Hoosier PE hubs, then **** the bearings and somehow damaged one of the parts that are custom machined then it would be a $1200 paper weight if they ever stopped making them.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
I was waiting for the Hoosiers to release when building my car but when it came down to it it seemed like one delay after another and I lost faith that they would ever become available. Right about the same time "Dulaney" on cmc forum started making batches of the skf vette hub adapters and I snagged up a set and then some x tracker hubs from HoosierPE with longer studs all assembled and shipped to me. So in the end I supported both dulaney and Hoosier PE. I can't say about longegivity, but I don't see the adapter bracket being a wearable item anyway. The Vette hubs have been proven to be excellent in even heavier cars on track and huge sticky tires, so that I'm not worried about. I don't think I'll have to worry about the Vette hubs going out of production anytime soon either and if and when they go bad it's as simple as unbolting them and swapping them out. No messy grease, pullers, etc. imo it's all a win win. Both options cost about the same, and both are awesome quality products. kudos to Hoosier for bringing it to the game, but due to the limited amount of people wanting to track these old cars, I doubt they'll keep them in production very long unfortunately. This alone scares me as well, if I were to have bought the Hoosier PE hubs, then **** the bearings and somehow damaged one of the parts that are custom machined then it would be a $1200 paper weight if they ever stopped making them.
Well put, I didn't think about them going out of production. Makes me happy I went with the adapters as well. Also really impressed with the quality of the pieces and how it includes all required HW including ARP bolts and electrical connectors for converting to our cars. Also schematics for brake ducts and required bolts. +1 for the Dulaney adapters.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with SCJ. I have a set of vette hubs and adapters. I also think it's the best solution hardware-wise and future-proof wise.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Adapters can be had on FRRAX.com and are currently in stock IRRC

Contact is rocktman1

Last edited by landstuhltaylor; 02-21-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ordered this morning and already have a tracking number. They don't play around over there!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Ordered this morning and already have a tracking number. They don't play around over there!
you got lucky. he's run several batches and it was a waiting game for myself and several others that got some. Thats the price you pay sometimes for one off stuff. Kuddos to dulaney for actually making these for us, or having them made i guess i should say. Pretty sure this started as a thing he wanted for himself, but a lot of ffrax members jumped on quickly!

If you havent already ordered the hubs i would highly recommend Hoosier PE for them, they price matched the best price i could find online for them as well as pressed in longer arp studs before shipping to me for no more than the studs cost, + they shipped fast!

(if they werent so expensive i'd buy another set just to look at, beautiful machined metal.) love it
Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you went adapters/SKF route.

I have adapters in the basement and waiting for hubs with longer ARP studs. Should be in next week. Then I can finally bolt them on and determine a spacer needed.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kinda felt I got lucky, Jim told me that was his last set.

Are the studs the same? I already have the longer ARP studs in my MOOG hubs and would like to just swap them out if possible.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kinda felt I got lucky, Jim told me that was his last set.

Are the studs the same? I already have the longer ARP studs in my MOOG hubs and would like to just swap them out if possible.
yeah, they're the same. swapping should be breeze. Though I'll probably just order my new hubs with the studs installed already, keep my old hubs just in case.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I kept my old hubs for a season then just threw them in the trash. Really no point in keeping them unless they get hit, in which case you would likely have bigger problems.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. And I thought my bearings were a pain. I just have to deal with crappy seals. The bearings pretty much last forever if properly maintained. But the seal issue is bad enough for me to consider a C6 hub conversion.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a way to get in contact with rocktman? FRRAX has shut down registration.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

email Trackbird there for reg,
or pm on here

Rocketman -> jim@design-base.net
Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
Do you have a way to get in contact with rocktman? FRRAX has shut down registration.
Originally Posted by 95wannabe
email Trackbird there for reg,
or pm on here

Rocketman -> jim@design-base.net
I already have an account, just don't go over there much.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Default Coleman Racing gen hub/spindle kit

What is everyone doing about the front hubs these days? 3-5 weekends is all I get out of a set of MOOG's before they start developing some play. Here are the options I'm looking at:

- Accept the fact that I will be doing a hub swap along with every oil change (Thank God for AutoZone's 3 year warranty on MOOGs )

- Pony up for the Hoosiers. But I haven't seen much feedback on these and how long they last before you have to rebuild them. Anyone?

- SKF Corvette Hubs with adapters. Looks good but where can I get the actual adapters? Do they sell them anymore?
Colman has a bolt on replacement spindle that uses tapered bearings. Looks like they based on Impala spindle, but not sure. Steel hub uses 1/2 or 12mm studs and positions stock rotor in Stock location. $506.00 per side complete kit.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 83rdracer
Colman has a bolt on replacement spindle that uses tapered bearings. Looks like they based on Impala spindle, but not sure. Steel hub uses 1/2 or 12mm studs and positions stock rotor in Stock location. $506.00 per side complete kit.
looks like that's the best priced high performance hub out there, but also looks like no ABS sensor previsions.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
looks like that's the best priced high performance hub out there, but also looks like no ABS sensor previsions.
Yeah, no abs but for a modified track day car would you need it or want it. I actually have a 3rd Gen Z28 with 4th gen front suspension on a custom k-member. It will run 315-35-18 square setup for track days. I found the Colman parts while looking for a way to replace the hub bearing assy with something more robust.

I was thinking about making a bolt on spindle using the GN spindle pin and GN hub. Way bigger bearings and plenty of rotor and brake options. These could even be made with built in negative camber and maybe up to a 1" drop. If I can find the hubs used they could be under 400 per side.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took the plunge and went with the C5/C6 hub conversion spindles for my car. Fwiw, there is a local guy who specializes in parting out low mile C6 wrecks. I get hubs from him pretty cheaply. 30k mile hd hubs for 20 each
Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I just took the plunge and went with the C5/C6 hub conversion spindles for my car. Fwiw, there is a local guy who specializes in parting out low mile C6 wrecks. I get hubs from him pretty cheaply. 30k mile hd hubs for 20 each
I'm curious how your stock C6 hubs hold up. I did the same setup, but went with the SKF race bearings because I'm tired of hub bullshit.

Quick Reply: So... Front Hubs