Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Not to sound lazy but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not to sound lazy but....

Are there any autocross events where I could just race without having to work the track? The one time I tried to go to one I ended up finding out that people who weren’t racing at the time had to keep score and pick up cones and such. I really didn’t feel like standing near cars flying around turns lol so I ended up leaving. Are they all like that?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

That's generally how it works. The events are relying on volunteers to make everything happen. Even the timing tower and inspectors are just volunteers waiting for their turn to run laps.

If you go to a track day you can spend more time driving and less working since the track helps provide some workers. Check your local scca region to see when track days are scheduled. There's usually only a few a year that are open to everyone. If you have a specific performance car like a porche or miata you can run track days dedicated to those specific cars.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I prefer not to work either, I'll pay for a full track day to not work, more fun anyway. I'm not worried about be near the cars because if your club is putting you in danger that needs to be addressed but I would just rather chill or tweak on my car when I'm not driving rather than standing in the sun.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO, if A/X's were run they way you guys suggest, the Price would go up to the Cost of a Track Day! I would suggest that you try to organize an event they way you want and see how much money you lose.

Autocrosses are truly Grassroots Racing. Without Volunteers they would Not happen.

In addition, if you are smart, when you are out working a Station you will learn from how other drivers take the course up close & personal.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
IMO, if A/X's were run they way you guys suggest, the Price would go up to the Cost of a Track Day! I would suggest that you try to organize an event they way you want and see how much money you lose.

Autocrosses are truly Grassroots Racing. Without Volunteers they would Not happen.

In addition, if you are smart, when you are out working a Station you will learn from how other drivers take the course up close & personal.
I'm not knocking it, I still like it for what it is and I feel most of my local events are ran well by people who care and are dedicated, just a personal opinion.

I do watch my station, problem is I'll nail that corner or two and still struggle on the rest of the course!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Working is part of it. You can try to get to the worker jerk early to try to get a job where you aren't chasing cones, but there are few available that don't require much experience. Those jobs are often requested by experienced members prior to the event, but there are a few that need extra help, such as grid.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc

I do watch my station, problem is I'll nail that corner or two and still struggle on the rest of the course!
That is why I walk the course at least twice by myself, so I'm not shooting the breeze with someone and concentrate on learning the Course.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-11-2018, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
That is why I walk the course at least twice by myself, so I'm not shooting the breeze with someone and concentrate on learning the Course.
My minimum is 3, if I don't get at least that I don't feel comfortable.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the many reasons racing around cones in a parking lot is lame.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
One of the many reasons racing around cones in a parking lot is lame.
Cool story Let me guess another drag racer? lol

Anywho, larger events put on by sponsors like Midwest Muscle Car, GoodGuys, Optima etc will have people working the course for you. BUT those events are not simple local one day things.

Like said above, local events are run by a select few people and they day only runs well due to the volunteer people working course/grid/timing etc. Look for events that have less cars so you get more runs. You will still need to work your part though.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Bigger events will be fully staffed so the entrants don't have to work. The smaller local events need the drivers to work or the price would be $100/per. I like to **** cones in a tougher section. I'll use my time to study the faster guys.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I went to one AutoX event and stood around for 95% of the day..... never again. Just cough up the dough and actually road racing instead of being limited to 1st/2nd gear. The adrenaline rush for racing 20-30 minutes 4-5 daily sessions vs. 45 sec-1 minutes a handful of times in a day is incomparable.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I run several of Bill Howell's events. More runs than you can handle(15-20 or possibly more) and no cone wrangling. It seems the biggest downside for you is traveling. Also, keep in mind, Bill's events are usually tighter courses to keep speeds down. The purpose is so we don't have to wear helmets and get crazy with safety equipment.

http://autocrossguys.com/
Old 08-29-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Get crazy with safety equipment? All local events only require a helmet and most locations will let you use a loaner. Aside from that, all factory safety equipment is accepted.

So you CAN race without spending a dime on safety equipment.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I would never do a A/X without a Helmet. I've seen the GoodGuys short courses ( I wouldn't really call them A/Xs) and people not wearing helmets, arms out the window, etc. Sorry, but $hit can still happen at slow speeds
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-29-2018, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Get crazy with safety equipment? All local events only require a helmet and most locations will let you use a loaner. Aside from that, all factory safety equipment is accepted.

So you CAN race without spending a dime on safety equipment.
What I mean by that is no need for roll cages, 4 or 5 point harnesses, racing seats, fire extinguishers, etc. Yes, most regional SCCA Solo events only have minimal requirements.