Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

4th gen road race.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

A partial list of stuff to bring to the track. except for the Round up.
That's the OCD side where I like the yard as nice as the trailer and race car before I leave for a race.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i love seeing this stuff you post, what an awesome machine you have there. i dont know if others love it but i do .
The following users liked this post:
Passmenow (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
i love seeing this stuff you post, what an awesome machine you have there. i dont know if others love it but i do .
Thank you ramairetransam.
If others drove it they would love it too.
If I had a spare body I'd paint it orange with white stripes like a street car.

Agree a vintage 93' Pancho Weaver Trans Am car is an awesome analog machine.
No computers or nannies, no ABS, H pattern dog ring (no Syncro) transmission.
750hp 2500lbs big tires big brakes big engine big deal. lol

It adds interest to me to have a car with racing history.
My last 3 race cars have been in historic livery of the drivers that raced them originally.
Leaving the cars in the historic livery adds depth and interest.
At the races several fans recognize the car from years ago and share stories of the previous owners.

The sweetest part is now I have an (ex Richard Childress) race engineer and his father as lead mechanic dialing in the car.
When I mention jacking down the front end with rebound, that is not simply turning the rebound dial on the shock.
The engineer has had the front shocks on the shock dyno (twice) and has had to re-valve them to achieve the desired rebound.
Bryans Racing Enterprise gets full credit for improving how it corners and stops.
https://www.bryansracing.com/
I'm 65 was a drag racer till I was 40 and have been into AX and road racing since, thrilled to find there is still so much to learn about car set up.

Here is a couple Videos of the previous owner Andy Porterfield racing this car at the Fontana Roval.
Andy raced all his life up into his 80s.
https://sportscardigest.com/andy-porterfield-1931-2012/
Porterfield brakes has a long history of providing custom size brake pads to racers.
https://porterfield-brakes.com/
The Kevlar body still in gray Gel Coat.
PS the sister car to this with a C6 body and an Earnhardt SB2/850hp is for sale on the east coast for around $80k, killer deal.

Last edited by Passmenow; 06-19-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

10 hour round trip 50 gallons of Diesel.
2 hours testing 30 gallons of VP 110 leaded.
New Project Mu brake pads provided incredible modulation confidence.
Added front rebound on shocks pinned the front end.
Perfect test.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Default Got slicks?

Stickers.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

VARA Buttonwillow Friday test.
Stops and turns very well so time now to upgrade the engine.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

The 5 ready for a major summer service.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Is that your shop or one you have to pay to play?
Old 07-08-2022, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Is that your shop or one you have to pay to play?
Yep that's my shop, built it 25 years ago, 1300sf like a small 8 car garage.
I have a scissor lift sunk into the floor.
Next week it goes to Bryans racing for an engine swap. https://www.bryansracing.com/
Travis the owner/engineer at Bryans racing has the most interesting, educated and helpful answers to all my race car questions.
Remember Travis was an engineer at Childress racing for years.
Just standing with him at the track while he spotted for a customer was a learning experience.
Every visit to Bryans racing I learn something.
Arrive and drive is not in my budget, besides I like to do all I can on both race cars.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Art shot.
4 piston with Project Mu pads, and roller only very old rims and tires.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Ok time to get busy on the 5 car.
Winter plans...
1. New 6 piston calipers and floating front rotors, PMU brake pads.
2. G Force 4 speed rated to 1,000hp.
3. 750hp fresh 18 degree engine.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

I thought all that was new? Or am I thinking of the 3rd gen?
Old 11-14-2022, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

I thought all that was new? Or am I thinking of the 3rd gen?
Correct again!
All calipers were rebuilt on both cars.
The front calipers are identical Vintage style 4 piston, same size pad.
So when the 10 had a brake bleeder failure, I chose to replace the 40 year old calipers with identical style calipers from the 5.

I spent my precious brake money on the 5 with upgraded wrap around 6 piston calipers with bigger pads.
5 car spindle is off to make the jig to relocate one caliper mounting post for the caliper upgrade.
The blue packer is just to raise it to clear the trailer ramp.
Checkout the down stop shims and Ohlin's.
Front is jacked down light spring, big sway bar and full front rebound.
As the car sits in the pit it will unload the front rebound and sit higher in front till it starts moving again.
Dial out the front rebound before towing, or else when towing the front rebound will loosen the tie downs.
On track the front is jacked down, suits me I don't jump curbs.

Going to switch from a locker to a Torsen Gleason diff on the 5 car (Ford 9 inch).
Just more forgiving on power.
The 10 car has a Torsen Gleason and it seems easy to drive (Winters 10 inch ring and pinion).

Look how nice I am to slicks!
Next race when 5 car is ready, February at the soonest.
The 5 car has 3 good sets of rims for racing.
Trying to make them last at least 8 heat cycles or more.

Last edited by Passmenow; 11-17-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

We decided to get a used truck camper so we can start camping at the track on race weekends.
The local hotels are fine but I'd rather stay at the track.
This used Lance 850 allows us to tow the 24 foot trailer without needing a hitch extension.
Looking forward to more time at the track.
Just need to sell the current truck bed shell and get some anchors to bolt to the truck chassis for the camper tie downs.
The 1 ton diesel dually should handle the Lance camper and enclosed trailer no problem.
The 5 goes into the shop soon for front brakes, transmission and refreshed engine.
Next race in March with Vara at Big Willow if all goes according to plan.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Eh, you could a gonna bigger. And you may still need a hitch extension regardless. The camper is wider than the truck back there. I do the same thing for the track and it's awesome.

This setup clears the trailer jackknifed in a parking lot, but if you hit any sort of bump it tosses the camper left to right which will punch the camper jacks right into the front of the trailer.

​​​​​
Passmenow (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Eh, you could a gonna bigger. And you may still need a hitch extension regardless. The camper is wider than the truck back there. I do the same thing for the track and it's awesome.
This setup clears the trailer jackknifed in a parking lot, but if you hit any sort of bump it tosses the camper left to right which will punch the camper jacks right into the front of the trailer.
​​​​​
Your Big camper and rig look very nice.
Since my trailer is a V nose do think my trailer to camper jack clearance might be less of an issue?
My trucks payload is 5900 and the Lance 850 should be less than 3700 wet with gear.
Do you think my 1 ton will need any suspension upgrades, helper spring or sway bars?
Do you have a load transferring style hitch on your extension?
I have a spare 1000lb rated load leveling hitch I was considering installing. (it helped when I had a 3/4 ton truck, haven't needed it on the 1 ton so far)
Were you able to use the shorter extension? Your camper looks like it's in the 10 or 11 foot range and over 4000lbs?
The Lance 850 is around 8'10". The previous owner did your a short foot long extension just so the camper door could open with the trailer attached.
How is it towing on the freeway, sensitive to crosswind gusts?
Thanks for sharing your experience, just asking as would rather figure most of this out before trail and error.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Passmenow
Your Big camper and rig look very nice.
Since my trailer is a V nose do think my trailer to camper jack clearance might be less of an issue?
My trucks payload is 5900 and the Lance 850 should be less than 3700 wet with gear.
Do you think my 1 ton will need any suspension upgrades, helper spring or sway bars?
Do you have a load transferring style hitch on your extension?
I have a spare 1000lb rated load leveling hitch I was considering installing. (it helped when I had a 3/4 ton truck, haven't needed it on the 1 ton so far)
Were you able to use the shorter extension? Your camper looks like it's in the 10 or 11 foot range and over 4000lbs?
The Lance 850 is around 8'10". The previous owner did your a short foot long extension just so the camper door could open with the trailer attached.
How is it towing on the freeway, sensitive to crosswind gusts?
Thanks for sharing your experience, just asking as would rather figure most of this out before trail and error.
Mine is a Lance 1130, 4700# wet but probably 5000# loaded, it's an 11'6" floor with side entrance. I used to run bags at high pressure to level my truck, but it didn't have much of a rake stock. I added a second upper overload spring and it sits so much higher loaded that I need a longer shank to drop the trailer farther. And the bags have been empty now for 2 seasons because of that. I think you'll be surprised how well the truck handles it, I know I was. If I were you, I'd just hook it up, go for an easy drive, and see what you think as is. With trailer only, I don't even bother with a WD hitch on the dually. It simply doesn't car. On my beefed up 1500 I run 1,000# bars, but tongue weight is 1100-1200# last I measured. I run 1500# bars on a 15k# rated Reese hitch with dually and it drives just fine. It will catch a cross wind, I've driven in some substantial sustained cross winds and it wasn't as white knuckle as I thought it would be. I've never stopped driving because of the wind, but I have been forced to dial my speed back. What can be deceiving is that the camper will move in the bed independent of the truck, so while the wind can push the truck across the lane mine has barely any body roll and I don't feel the truck has ever been anywhere near rolling over. That or it's so stiff it'll just roll without giving an inch. The other weird thing is that, IMO, the aerodynamic penalty isn't as big as I anticipated. I think combined with the trailer it helps, because sometimes with just the camper it feels almost as held back as with the trailer. I use Torklift products for my hitch, extension, and tie downs. They're not cheap, but I don't think you can get any better.
Passmenow (01-14-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Couple of calculators I found helpful.
You were right, if I wanted my truck could handle more camper and a hitch extension.
Can't wait to start camping at the track again.
Long ago camped at the track in the enclosed trailer with basic creature comforts, just AC, lights and windows back then.

Predicts Vehicle and Axle Weights When Adding A Camper
http://www.visualsc.com/tc_calc.htm?...MbBi-kyCbR_iVE
Predicts Vehicle and Axle Weights When Towing Using an Extended Hitch
http://www.visualsc.com/hitch_calc.htm
Old 01-26-2023, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Waiting for new front hats, the shop has rapid prototyped a few black plastic spacers as they perfected how best to fit the big 6 piston calipers into the 16 inch diameter wheels.
It's 70 degrees outside today with warm Santa Ana winds, good day to mess around in the garage on the race cars.

Since the race cars are waiting for stuff I decided to remove some of the Lance logos off the camper.
Small camper does not need a large lance logo on every side.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

I recommend loading the camper, hooking up the trailer, and heading to a parking lot to see how much, if any, clearance you have at full lock. If your trailer has an extended tongue, you may be OK. If not, gonna need that hitch extension. Better to ID that sooner than later.
Passmenow (01-26-2023)

Quick Reply: 4th gen road race.