Sponsored by:

Need help on custom VSS for Traction Control on Foxbody

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on custom VSS for Traction Control on Foxbody

Hey guys,

I have an 89 foxbody with an LQ9/S480/T56, blah blah and i want to be able to implement traction control on my Haltech ECU. I understand how the entire system works and all of the wiring but i am having a hard time finding a pickup ring or something i can mount to the knuckle to be able to pick up wheel speed.

I found a few universal wheel speed sensors and i can make custom brackets but i just need the sensor ring like the one below. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, i plan t go with the new strange 35 spline LSD for the rear but does that mean i cant use my VSS inside the trans for the rear wheel reference (assuming theres a chance the two rear wheels could be spinning at different speeds)?

Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If the car is spooled which I would imagine at this point it should be if it's not, you could use the speed sensor in the trans, you could also put a sensor ring on the rear end toke like the racepak uses to pick up DS rpm and have the TCS operate off of that.

I would think a driveshaft speed sensor would be about as easy as it can get.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If the car is spooled which I would imagine at this point it should be if it's not, you could use the speed sensor in the trans, you could also put a sensor ring on the rear end toke like the racepak uses to pick up DS rpm and have the TCS operate off of that.

I would think a driveshaft speed sensor would be about as easy as it can get.
but the problem is i need some sort of reference to rear wheel speed to say they are spinning faster then they should be.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm assuming newer mustangs have reluctor rings on the axles like in the pic or another way of picking up wheel speed, so I would think the aftermarket has ways of getting these on there larger splined axles. I'm not sure who you would contact about that.

I think mine had an adapter piece to fit the reluctor rings(whatever they are called) on my 35 spline strange axles in my 9 inch that came of the 10 bolt axles. The 10 bolt axles were just pressed on them without an adapter.

Since people have been running the 8.8 in f bodies they may be using the rings on those for the 4 channel system in f bodies but I'm not sure if they are.

I assume your running an 8.8
Old 04-12-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superskaterxes
but the problem is i need some sort of reference to rear wheel speed to say they are spinning faster then they should be.
If your getting ur vehicle speed from the speed sensor in the t56 and u have a spool there would be no difference in speed of wheels if you have a sensor on the axles since every thing moves together. U would have to have vehicle speed by gps or front wheels. But if you lift the front end there will be no correct vehicle speed from the front wheels.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nmass399
If your getting ur vehicle speed from the speed sensor in the t56 and u have a spool there would be no difference in speed of wheels if you have a sensor on the axles since every thing moves together. U would have to have vehicle speed by gps or front wheels. But if you lift the front end there will be no correct vehicle speed from the front wheels.
i will be running an LSD but i think pulling VSS off the T56 should still be OK for the rear. I mostly want to use this for street driving and highway pulls which hopefully will keep the from wheels down =P
Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, you will be fine with pull the vss from the T56. Or you can do a driveshaft speed sensor. If you are confused on the fact that the T56 vss would obviously read a different speed than your front abs sensor, there should be a vss transfer function in the Haltech. Not sure, because I have never messed with Haltech.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Correct, you will be fine with pull the vss from the T56. Or you can do a driveshaft speed sensor. If you are confused on the fact that the T56 vss would obviously read a different speed than your front abs sensor, there should be a vss transfer function in the Haltech. Not sure, because I have never messed with Haltech.
not confused at all, i am trying to generate a table based on front vs rear wheel speed so i can adjust boost/timing/throttle to stop the rear wheels from spinning. Of course the differences in the tire size etc will need to be considered i just need to normalize both signals first before the compare.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah using the sensor on the t56 with a sensor on a front wheel would probably work great. Not sure how well it would work with sensors on both rear wheels with a LSD. I would think there could potentially be a speed difference from one side to the other in some cases with a LSD. You should be able to log the front wheel speed sensor and the t56 sensor at different speeds and adjust them accordingly. I would think that the haltech would have to have a 1 2 or 3 mph differential on it before tractoin control kicks in I case there is a slight imbalance on the speed calibration or tire distortion.
Curious to how well that system works on it.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nmass399
Yeah using the sensor on the t56 with a sensor on a front wheel would probably work great. Not sure how well it would work with sensors on both rear wheels with a LSD. I would think there could potentially be a speed difference from one side to the other in some cases with a LSD. You should be able to log the front wheel speed sensor and the t56 sensor at different speeds and adjust them accordingly. I would think that the haltech would have to have a 1 2 or 3 mph differential on it before tractoin control kicks in I case there is a slight imbalance on the speed calibration or tire distortion.
Curious to how well that system works on it.
the elite 2500 has a custom function for traction control with customizable conditional activation and a bunch of other features. Once i eventually get to that part of tuning i will share my experience.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superskaterxes
the elite 2500 has a custom function for traction control with customizable conditional activation and a bunch of other features. Once i eventually get to that part of tuning i will share my experience.
Sounds good man

Quick Reply: Need help on custom VSS for Traction Control on Foxbody