Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D585 coil bracket doesn't fit stock valve covers!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

The stock GM truck coil brackets SHOULD fit any factory LS valve cover that accepts coil brackets. The coil bracket mounting bosses in the valve covers are all the same.

I would agree that the bracket you shown that misses the hole was stamped wrong.

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Not one person said the holes in the bracket dont line up... Only that they sat to high, and lowering helps clear components.
I started that thread, I don't believe anywhere in it does anybody say these brackets don't match the valve covers.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The stock GM truck coil brackets SHOULD fit any factory LS valve cover that accepts coil brackets. The coil bracket mounting bosses in the valve covers are all the same.

I would agree that the bracket you shown that misses the hole was stamped wrong.

I started that thread, I don't believe anywhere in it does anybody say these brackets don't match the valve covers.

Yes that's what I thought... I read the whole thread to be sure. I've found that their is little to no adjustability with the 585 coils to their bracket holes and that I actually had to start the bolts with one coil particularly angled to get it to start threading. This was no doubt pulling alittle on the bracket inward.

Last edited by customblackbird; 08-14-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Side not for any of you thinking of using the billet brackets, they bolt up fine, they look pretty good but...

They push the coils centered over the valve cover which after I measured a a full 1.25" lower on the valve cover. My Taylor 9mm truck wires are already long and this made it worse. One of my wires moved alittle and layed against a header and cooked it. So without a doubt you would need shorter car wires to work and this would be good with all you LS car motor guys with the stock fuel rails etc. but I have a ton of room above the valve cover and would rather them be pushed higher up. So I wrapped the burnt section of wire with a lot of electrical tape and removed the coil packs. I swapped the 585s back to the OEM brackets and will have to make them work if I want to run them. But I felt no difference between the 581 and 585 really on a stock 5.3 with 9lbs of boost. Besides cooking a wire and running 9:1 on the highway which sucked.

Pics to show how much they drop the coils.

Look at the coil mounting screws to the brackets for how much is lowered.

Same here.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

When it's nice and dark, running engine, open the hood. Watch those Taylor wires. Have a friend rev it up. I'll bet you'll find some arcing. Taylor wires are notoriously poor.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
When it's nice and dark, running engine, open the hood. Watch those Taylor wires. Have a friend rev it up. I'll bet you'll find some arcing. Taylor wires are notoriously poor.
Lol oh good. They were the best fitting for my SS long tubes.

Quick Reply: D585 coil bracket doesn't fit stock valve covers!?