Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GSM / Mobile Fuel Pump Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default GSM / Mobile Fuel Pump Kill Switch

So basically I intend to wire a GSM / GPS mobile device that can receive commands from my phone or PC as long as its within a cellular network which will allow me to disable the vehicle, even while it is operating. I found a GSM device that appears to be capable of doing it by interrupting a circuit upon sending it a command and of course the circuit that would be interrupted would be that of the fuel pump meaning even if the car is currently operating and driving, I would be able to instantly disable it killing the motor in mid drive. It can also give me the exact location of the vehicle and the like. The usefulness would be to give me the ability to kill the motor should I be unlucky enough to come out one day and find it stolen, or to disable the vehicle should I find the need to park some place I don't feel comfortable with.

Here's the device in question:

It's called a Coban GPS GPRS SMS -- Model: TK103A

It's not just a tracker, it has the ability to receive SMS commands to enable or disable certain circuits depending on the input.
It's only $35 on Amazon so I figure I can't lose with it. I wanted to use this thread to post my results for it if anyone is interested, however; I did have a few small questions.

I want to interrupt the fuel pump EVEN WHILE the car is running but not sure where to tap.. Should I go directly for the wires heading to the actual pump or will that green/white wire under the passenger side kick panel be enough? (I can't remember if that wire gives the fuel pump constant power or if its only used during ignition)

Should I tap by adding an additional relay?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Starting at the bottom... yes, you should use a relay. Relays are commonly used to control a high power circuit with a lower power circuit. For example, fog lights use a relay so that the full power needed to run the lights doesn't have to flow through the switch - a low power circuit to the switch triggers the relay. But the other common use of relays is to switch a circuit on or off based on the status of another circuit rather than a physical switch. This is what you would want it for.

There are several wires you can interrupt to turn off the fuel pump. At the fuel pump relay, you can interrupt the power (orange wire), output to the fuel pump (grey wire), or the relay control signal from the PCM (dark green/white). That same control signal wire is also available at the PCM of course.

You'll have to make sure your GPS device will "latch" when triggered so that it doesn't just interrupt the fuel pump momentarily. If it only provides a momentary signal then you'll need to add either a latching relay or an electronic device like the PAC TR-7 Electronic Trigger Output Module.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Subscribing to learn about results.

An another idea to toss into mix is any device that serves purpose of geo fence.

You the owner of vehicle set the limits of geo fence.
If the vehicle moves x amount of distance from where you last trusted and left it but has moved , geo fence device can send text and emails.

If you pair up functionality of both devices , the kill switch device would theoretically get a text message from the geo fence device.

my idea is puerely hypothetical. If you do try it out, my suggestion would be to test thoroughly in an open space.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Subscribing to learn about results.

An another idea to toss into mix is any device that serves purpose of geo fence.

You the owner of vehicle set the limits of geo fence.
If the vehicle moves x amount of distance from where you last trusted and left it but has moved , geo fence device can send text and emails.

If you pair up functionality of both devices , the kill switch device would theoretically get a text message from the geo fence device.

my idea is puerely hypothetical. If you do try it out, my suggestion would be to test thoroughly in an open space.
I'm probably going to install it next week, I also learned that my Viper Alarm system can perform the same function so I "may" just use one system..with the only vulnerability is if the thief figures out how to disable the alarm, I'm SOL.

Quick Reply: GSM / Mobile Fuel Pump Kill Switch