Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air: Who's Installed It, And Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Air: Who's Installed It, And Results

I'd like to hear from the ones who have completed their restomod (enough to be driving it) with an installed Vintage Air system and how well does it work.
Temp?
Volume (cfm)?
Noise?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Just did the final tweaks on a buddies this weekend. We installed the gen IV system in a 66 chevelle and it works VERY well. Even on low it blows pretty hard and can cool off the car in minutes. On high it will get cold enough that you turn it down. We aren't in the hottest weather yet, but we are in Arizona and it's already in the upper 80's and 90's.

The issue I had was with running the a/c system trinary switch control for the cooling fan in parallel with the LS1 pcm fan control. This caused a fault code because the pcm saw the fan grounded when not being commanded. I fixed this by isolating the pcm control with a second relay and all is working perfectly.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

my dad had it in a 32 coupe and it would freeze you out.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1964SS
Just did the final tweaks on a buddies this weekend. We installed the gen IV system in a 66 chevelle and it works VERY well. Even on low it blows pretty hard and can cool off the car in minutes. On high it will get cold enough that you turn it down. We aren't in the hottest weather yet, but we are in Arizona and it's already in the upper 80's and 90's.

The issue I had was with running the a/c system trinary switch control for the cooling fan in parallel with the LS1 pcm fan control. This caused a fault code because the pcm saw the fan grounded when not being commanded. I fixed this by isolating the pcm control with a second relay and all is working perfectly.
I did the same with the trinary switch and relays. A busbar connected to 12V+ input for the fan connects the relay outputs from the computer triggered and trinary triggered.

I also have a positive experience wth the Vintage Air. My unit is older, maybe 10 years. It keeps my truck cool. In 85F or 90F ambients, I turn the fan on high and all the way down. If I drive on the highway for 30 minutes or more, I'll turn it up the thermostat target temp.

The fan is pretty loud on high. I'm guessing a newer unit might be less so.

Vent placement is a factor. Whether it blows on your or not. I'd say point that at yourself or the passengers. I have one pointed in to the cab, but not at any person and that doesn't add as much.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:35 PM
Teching In

I designed and build the Vintage Air units for the Buick Grand National/ Gbodys. Have installed numerous and they cool as well as any modern A/C system.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who have installed the system, did you use the factory compressor or a Sanden with the conversion brackets?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 243
For those who have installed the system, did you use the factory compressor or a Sanden with the conversion brackets?
I used the stock truck compressor. Fixed, not variable.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

This is kind of a loaded question, because people's opinions will vary. I think the A/C in my '33 works pretty well, where as my gf thinks it works way too good! The most important thing about any A/C though is being able to keep the cold air in and the hot air out. The best system in the world wont appear to work very good if there's a lot of hot air coming in. This is the number one reason new cars seem like the air works better in them, they are insulated and sealed way better than you can seal an old car. My '33 works better around town than on the highway because of this. There is just no real good way to seal the doors on it to keep all the hot air out.

Also, as for the Sanden or factory compressor, either use the Sanden or a fixed displacement one. I tried the variable compressor with very limited success. It works, but not at near the efficiency of the one I have with the compressor VA supplied.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you do for the vents? the ones supplied for a non AC car?

I just received my kit and those vents seam a little cheesy.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 604 Likes on 480 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I am going to use OEM A/C car vents vs. Vintage Air parts. I like the OEM look.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Senna
What did you do for the vents? the ones supplied for a non AC car?

I just received my kit and those vents seam a little cheesy.
Yes we used the vents for a non AC car. We drilled the dash for the side vents and installed the center two vents into his console.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Yes we used the vents for a non AC car. We drilled the dash for the side vents and installed the center two vents into his console.
And you were satisfied with the vents quality? Have any photos?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rectangle vents felt a little cheap and were a bit difficult to mount into the console but seem to work fine.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

The rectangle vents felt a little cheap and were a bit difficult to mount into the console but seem to work fine.

Thanks for posting the photos. The ball vents look fine, that's what I was most worried about.

Your shifter looks a little on the short side, is it comfortable to use? I'm getting ready to do a LS/T56 swap along with Vintage air etc. Just gathering info.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's in my buddies car and it's too short for me, but he likes them short like the corvette shifters.

Last edited by 1964SS; 04-19-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

It's in my buddies car and it's too short for me, but he likes them short like the corvette shifters.
To short for me also. I think the (old) Camaro style short with a small bend would be perfect.

My T56 came with the Chevelle style which is a little longer and the bend is higher up.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm using the factory 2002 camaro shifter in my 64. It's just right for mine.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Do you mean you used the Vintage Air vents for a non AC car? Or are those stock 66-67 air vents? I'm pulling the trigger on a system this week but am unsure of how to do the lower dash vents. My car is a 65 so not sure if the dash is alot different than 66-67. I don't like the under dash add-on vents Vintage sells with their kits. Want a more stock look.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a diagram showing how you added the other relay?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iowaguy
Do you mean you used the Vintage Air vents for a non AC car? Or are those stock 66-67 air vents? I'm pulling the trigger on a system this week but am unsure of how to do the lower dash vents. My car is a 65 so not sure if the dash is alot different than 66-67. I don't like the under dash add-on vents Vintage sells with their kits. Want a more stock look.
We used the vintage air kit for a non AC car. The 66-67 kits are setup so you have to drill your factory dash for the installation. The 64-65 kit is an under dash setup. I've never tried a 66-67 vent kit on a 64-65. I'm not sure they would fit.

Quick Reply: Vintage Air: Who's Installed It, And Results