LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edelbrock AirGap port work before and after plus random LT1 intakes that we ported

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock AirGap port work before and after plus random LT1 intakes that we ported

Wanted to show you guys some of the port work father and I have been pulling off in the last two months. I have ported everything I can get my hands on for the last 15 years and father has been porting for over 25 years.

First off this thing was casted so horrible from the factory, casting shift was off over an 1/8" from one intake port roof to the other side. Also there was huge machine tool marks where the fuel injector holes were cut out as you can see on the before pictures. It was almost like the casting was offset when it was machined, plus there was material in the plenum that was totally uncalled for. Im talking chunks of casting direct in the path of the throttle body holes.

I will let the port work do the talking and let me know what you guys/girls think. There is also some Stock LT1 intakes that are ported just for reference also. Let me know what you think and PM me for info.

This is the machine die and light straight edged scribe marks as to where to cut cross section and shape of customers head ports.

After shot of port work

Just for fun pile of aluminum we are going to send back to customer lol

Here is some pictures of a 92-93 intake we just shipped out Thursday Its black metalic color

Pics of a 94-97 we finished about two weeks ago

Last edited by STOCKTA; 05-13-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

im suprised no one cuts the tops off these and sets them back up to be bolted back together to get inside the intake better..ive seen single plane intakes cut in half so they could work the runners better
Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Saving for a plasma cutter as we type Im going to start building sheet aluminum plenum's and offer a fuel rail kit to allow the fuel crossover to be converted to a braided -an line so customer can bolt it right on.

Will also be able to test up against a stock Z28 hood to make sure one will fit under the low hood lines. Every intake I pick up to start cutting apart ends up ported and shipped out to a customer so I have not had a chance to experiment.

Also going to offer a welded runner option to allow a perfect straight shot into intake port like my old intake I ran. I used weld on one and belzona epoxy on the other one to seal up the paper thin port roofs. Could also weld a lip of material direct off of gasket flange to allow extreme port roof raising to allow a LT1 intake to bolt on raised runner LT4 style port geometry.
Ideas Ideas
Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

quick question what are all them bumps in the inside of the plenum.they would be the first things i would get out..can you grind with threw them or do you hit a jacket of some sort if so..

an yeah that should be nice and theres always a ton of tricks to do to intakes..i would port my intake first before i even ditched the stock heads for these motors just because of how restrictive the intakes are..

i always tell people having a 330cfm head with the right shape port to make power dont mean **** if you got a intake that cant flow past 250cfm..
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

If you are talking about the bumps that are in there after port work between port divider wall, they can be removed but will break into bolt holes cause a vac leak. I have used epoxy on my personal intake I ran and thread sealer on my other.

Also Im testing one intake to see if I can remove them and run shorter bolts for fuel rail installation, if anything I thought about filling them with epoxy and retapping them shorter. I can usually shave about 1/4" inch off these lumps so its pretty huge gain over stock.

One thing I do concentrate on is following the natural path of air and matching the geometry of the intak port floor and roof to the head ports. When the stock intake is mated up to a stock head or ported head the intake manifold floor usually needs straightened to match the correct angle going into the head. The square port stock intakes have a much better foundation to start with as the floors and port dimensions are very good out of the box, the other tapered port intakes match a stock head the best but are a real pain to open up to a aftermarket head or good ported stockers.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!

However, please do not turn this into a pimping your own products thread and try to sell parts/services.

Tony.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Very nice!

However, please do not turn this into a pimping your own products thread and try to sell parts/services.

Tony.
I definitly wont , on camaroz28.com I stated that this was only to show before and after pictures lol I knew it would be instant thread on there.
Can I keep it to PM's if people are interested? I always sell them in parts classified when I put them up for sale anyways and know that I can not sell a porting service on here unless paying vendor fee's.

And I definitly appreciate your comment on the port work
Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good job, looks great.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STOCKTA
I definitly wont , on camaroz28.com I stated that this was only to show before and after pictures lol I knew it would be instant thread on there.
Can I keep it to PM's if people are interested? I always sell them in parts classified when I put them up for sale anyways and know that I can not sell a porting service on here unless paying vendor fee's.

And I definitly appreciate your comment on the port work
Actualy, keeping it to PM's is worse, thats what staff calls "backdooring". I wont clutter your thread up with stuff, if you have any questions PM me.

Tony.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

sounds good, I did not know this about PM's.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STOCKTA
The square port stock intakes have a much better foundation to start with as the floors and port dimensions are very good out of the box, the other tapered port intakes match a stock head the best but are a real pain to open up to a aftermarket head or good ported stockers.

Can you explain this quote to me? Are there two different styles of runners for different stock LT1 intakes? I know there are the 93 style vs the 94-97, but I thought the only real difference was fuel crossover relocated, and appearance. Now you have me wondering if one is better than the other. I'm very interested to hear more about this.
Also, this is COMPLETELY unrelated to port work or service by you, so it should keep mods off ya. lol I do appreciate them for maintaining this site, and understand why they have to stick to the rules....keeps it free for us lil people.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The newer LT1 intakes match the head ports the earlier ones were closer to the gasket.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS Sick
The newer LT1 intakes match the head ports the earlier ones were closer to the gasket.
So newer intakes are better for ported or aftermarket heads while early intakes are better for stock unported heads? Also, by early intakes, do you just mean 93 style, or was it a machining/casting change made during the 94-97 intake production run?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Note: When I get to the garage tonight or tomorrow I will let you guys know exact part numbers of each intake from 92-93 and 94-97 square to tapered. I have not come across the tapered ones in a couple weeks but I’m sure one will show up sooner or later. Also have picture of each difference I will upload tomorrow.

There is a major difference in port internal dimensions on certain year LT1's.

Sort of like this 92-93=BEST, 94-early95 tapered= bastards, late 95-97 and all iron heads it seems=BEST late model LT1’s .

92-93 Is hands down the best intake as it has some great dimensions over the 94-97’s but on the other hand has a steeper ski slope/hump that needs more work straightening the roof out.

I have used a bore gauge to verify this along with depth calipers to measure thickness and micrometer and straight edge to get it exact to the thousand of an inch. Some of the 94-97's came with a square intake port up to the gasket face and the other ones are tapered smaller at the roof of the port gasket face. The square intakes have a much better foundation since a lot of the work is already casted in the intake so I only need to open up the cross section's and minor port wall straightening. All of the plenum’s except 92-93 are pretty much the same shape and dimensions.

The squares also have a deeper and straighter floor, about a ¼” deeper when bore gauge was used.

If you get a tapered intake run your finger down the floor from plenum throat to gasket and you will feel the floor has a drastic lump or L shape. The geometry mating the head port floor to the intake manifold port floor is off really bad and intake manifold port needs to be cut straight to shoot air direct to lower radius head intake port turn. The Square intake ports are absolutely perfect angle into the head port floor and require very very little work to get geometry corrected.

Now on the roof side where injector tip comes through the intake port roof they seem to be equal when trying to cut out ski slope direct behind injector tip. The tapered ports need to be straight edged and opened up to match the dimensions of a square intake port and start from there. Once you have your straight gasket port to work with you will need to be very careful and recreate the same shape of port as the square ones are. If you look at my pictures of the edelbrock you can see how both sides of the port around the injector have been flattened to allow air to get “around” the injector tip with out cutting the cross section there to wide.

Now on to the internal sides of the ports
The tapered 94’s and some 95’s have a horrible casting line that is very deep and takes at least two more hours blending the bump out to make the proper cross section and shape. The square intakes are casted very good in this area and will require little work to get a straight port with NO wave as I like to call it. THE ONLY TIME YOU NEED TO OPEN THE CROSS SECTIONS WIDER THAN THE FACTORY IS IF YOUR RUNNING MONSTER HEADS OR YOUR PORTER SCREWED UP AND GASKET MATCHED THE INTAKE. I always prefer to port intake to match head port cross section but if Im doing a universal port job I try and keep the horizontal cross section to 1.18”-1.24” depending on customers specs they send me or head they are running. The factory cross section will be more that 99% of heads can flow anyways and will only hurt you if cut to wide. The Vertical cross section usually does not need touched unless welding is performed and taken to match a set of raised runner heads or LT4 heads.

At first I thought Square intakes only came on 96-97’s with the 571 and 643 heads and on Iron head impala’s as those heads flowed a little more but were thinner and weaker castings. Then I started to see them show up off of late 95 f-body’s as maybe it was a mid year change in casting foundry or cheaper design using less material. I can DEFINITLY tell a difference when I port a 92-93 as they are hands down the most dense aluminum and they have very little amount if any air pore’s in the casting. The 92-93 take a lot more pressure when carving them out and I have never come across a air bubble in one of them. All of the 94-97’s have tons of pores and the squares ones are notorious to my father and I for uncovering 1/8” or deeper air pockets during porting process. The Edelbrock has more of a 92-93 aluminum mix as they are pretty dense as well when cutting through that bad boy.

Last thing is If I were to run a bone stock intake on my car with STOCK untouched f-body heads I would check the intake and make sure to use a tapered one. I guarantee that if we were to die mark a stock f-body head to a square intake there would be a overlap and cause turbulence. Now If I were to run ported heads or aftermarket casting I would definitely run a square one or a ported to square tapered intake.

GIZMO Probably knows about this stock intake difference better than anyone so maybe he will chime in
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
So newer intakes are better for ported or aftermarket heads while early intakes are better for stock unported heads? Also, by early intakes, do you just mean 93 style, or was it a machining/casting change made during the 94-97 intake production run?
Not exactly, the older ones match almost exactly the aftermarket ports, the newere ones matches the stock heads.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Actually the newer square or iron head intakes are better for aftermarket and ported heads. The tapered 94-95's are better match to our factory unported heads as our f-body heads are casted with the taper, there for no protruding lip to cause turbulence like a square would create. 92-93s are always square but head ports are not they are tapered also, maybe this is why GM casted 94-95 intakes with the head port tapered shape. One handed tying for the win baby in the other lol......
Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

lotsa good info in this thread!
no wonder those edelbrocks don't perform much better than a stock intake. I would love to see a ported air gap compared to a ported stocker on the same flow bench. whats your thoughts on which would flow better STOCKTA?
and nice work btw
Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

If I were to pull a boat hauling motor I would run the Edelbrock stock because of the small plenum and longer runners. Stock vs. stock Edel, the stock square LT1 intake will kill it in mid and topend just from looking at them. Ported vs. Ported I still beleive a stock ported LT1 will crush it from the bigger plenum and shorter runners geared more for topend. The Edelbrock will probably make comparible HP but more under the curve I would imagine. Its a toss up since the runner volume is still bigger on the edelbrock but the plenum is bigger on the Stocker. Who knows unil we try it but I would love to know the results of a ported vs ported
Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank YOU. That was a very thorough reply to my question. I wish everyone broke things down like that for all of us new people. Some of the threads I have started have gotten plenty of replies, but they tend to leave me with new questions instead of answers. Or....only part of the answer. I think some of the very experienced and knowledgeable members we have here forget that some of the new people don't even know the basics yet. I've been messing with cars since I was about 14...so 22 years now, but while I have read up on LT1s in the past, and because of the SBC architecture, I'm somewhat familiar, I never owned one until this year. (Well, partly true. I did part out a totaled 95 TA as well as have a non-running 96 Formula I bought with blown head gaskets and rusty cylinder walls.)
Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As bad as it sounds i just cut the top off of my intake in the bandsaw, did all the port work and welded the top back on and ground the welds back smooth. Cant even tell it with the fuel rails on. Makes porting these intakes so much better.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock AirGap port work before and after plus random LT1 intakes that we ported