Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump

Old 04-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump

I don't get on too many forums for stuff so I apologize for jumping in here only randomly asking for help instead of helping others!
My dilemma is this:

BACKGROUND: I have a 1930 Model A coupe that I have dropped a LS LQ9 6.0 into. Because I want it to be unique and not look TOO new I also opted for the carburetor and front distributor.

QUESTION: I know I need water pump that clears the new front distributor/timing cover however I am not sure the Wegner unit will work. I have VERY limited space between the ATI dampener and radiator. Roughly 3'' max (and that's pushing it. I still need to squeeze the electric fan in there so you can see that real estate is at a premium.
Is the Wegner pump merely a pump with the built in (cast in)spacing or will it somehow sit recessed back towards the block? I will ONLY be using an alternator so the ATI dampener is single pulley unit and I need whatever I use to align with that dampener.

OR do you see an interference issue whereby I will require a remote water pump???

I guess I really just need to know the Wegner dimensions from mounting face to "pulley" outermost edge if someone has this? I need to know this because a stock water pump even if iwas spaced outward would not work because it sticks out too much, not to mention would not line up with the ATI dampener.

I would post pics if my POS work computer would allow that but it has so many restrictions that I am surprised I can even access this site.

Pics to come from my phone if possible.

Grant

Last edited by Jackalope; 04-21-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Here are the pics
Old 04-22-2017, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet looking ride

Not many guys run a distributor so it may take some time to get a response.

You might try a search to find out who is running one and PM them directly.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks PNW. I figured so much. I have also reached out directly to Wegner Automotive so hopefully they will be able to help. I honestly think I'll be needing to go the remote water pump route. Just not sure how I can squeeze a pump in that limited space and still have room for a electric fan. I could be totally wrong so until I hear back from Wegner, I will just hang tight.
Thanks for responding though to bump this thread in case someone can help with a measurement. Grant
Old 04-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Teching In

I am running the distributor set up like yours and made up my own spacers/belt drive for the edelbrock std rotation pump.
Not sure how to post pics.
My set up is for a boat with unlimited room, but it takes up a lot of room!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I know spacers on a regular pump can be done but not in my case. No room. Whatever I go with the ATI dampener's ribbed pulley is exactly where all other pulleys must line up and go no further forward.
No need to post a pic of yours because we already know it won't work. I need a pic of a Wegner pump or the dimensions as mentioned above. Thanks for responding but I really need the measurements.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran billet 1.5"spacers and an electric meziere pump with my gm performance?dizzy conversion

you have 2 options
1) run a remote electric water pump few kits out there

2) spend big $$ and go kurt urban dizzy

Old 05-21-2017, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Spacers https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...make/chevrolet
Good pictures of a Wegner http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/050...ower-increase/
I have a 1 for a distributor, I can take measurements if you want

Big block electric

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...make/chevrolet
Old 05-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dogsballs
I ran billet 1.5"spacers and an electric meziere pump with my gm performance?dizzy conversion

you have 2 options
1) run a remote electric water pump few kits out there

2) spend big $$ and go kurt urban dizzy

How much was the kurt urban kit delivered to oz?
Old 05-21-2017, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought them new off a mate who ditched a project. He got them dollar was on parity a few years back. Still a few k as you need ati balancer and crank trigger etc
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

better u go with electrical water pump
Old 05-25-2017, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I will measure mine later...I have done 2 of the Wagner kits.......Looks like you have the wrong ATI dampener...
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump-my005.jpg   LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump-sam_0156.jpg   LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump-sam_0159.jpg   LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump-sam_0564.jpg   LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump-sam_0595.jpg  

LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump-sam_0600.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LQ9 carb/distributor help: water pump