LS1 WOT accel fright

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Gav
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default LS1 WOT accel fright

Hello,
Hope someone could have a look at my tune/log as thought i fried engine...

Doing SD logging lots and autoVE mostly up to 4000 rpm. Prior to this any getting on throttle a bit tells me that commanded jumps to 12.95 and my afr wideband shows richer than this most times so will have to lean out WOT abit????
Anyway i floored it round 13.32.10 in the log 0005, my TPS only showed 78% and my wideband kept dropping (getting richer). then at 13.32.16 the car bucked and i dropped off the throttle(shi**ing myself). No knock retard was showing in log...? Can anyone explain this and the sequence of events around 13.32.16...? Did i flood it?
Then i stopped, reflashed and did another run and have had the highest KR in log 0006 at 14.18.43. Cant make head or tail of this though....

Please ignore the speed readings as i think my gauge wants mph and the vss throws out kmhr...??

Its not easy to find someone who can dyno with 0411 GM ecu here so i know i will have to travel quite far to get this done, all dynos near me say they would put their own ecu in it and then dyno it(£2K), so want to tune as much safely as i can.

I have also attached my last tune updated with the log 0006.

Any help greatly appreciated as come so far with this but now a bit nervous of flooring it...

Regards
Gavin
Attached Files
File Type: efi
Log_0005.efi (443.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: efi
Log_0006.efi (610.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: ctz
SDAutoVE_0006.ctz (445.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Gav
Launching!

Hi, 140+ views and i bet at least 140 have more idea than me......?
regards
gav
Old 04-24-2017, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with checking a few things before you do more logging.

You mentioned that your TPS was only reading 78%. Need to figure out IF your getting WOT and TPS = 100%. Yes, there are tables where you could fake things to get around this, but lets get this sorted out 1st.

WB - make sure you have no exhaust leaks. I'm not too worried about a WB reading which is off from what you are commanding in your PE tables. This is why you are "tuning" the MAF / VE tables. BUT, we need to make sure your WB is working correctly. A key off check to see that your recording the save value that is being shown on your WB is also a good check.

Can you provide a few words about the setup - stock, cam only?, heads? etc...
Old 04-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Gav
Launching!

Hi,
Thanks for pointers,
I have just found problem on accel, the cable fork nudges a nut protruding out of the pedal box, very hard to see without taking pedal box out and i just logged it and it catches at 78%, when i force it past it does go to 100%. Though dont think this would be issue as the motor shouldnt do this if i just kept at 78% anyway should it?

i dont think the exhaust has leaks as its just gone through mot/iva test in the uk and the emissions wouldnt be right i think. All i have done is remove the lamdas and set it to OLSD.

The wideband calibrated ok in free air before doing any logging out of the exhaust. Dont understand key off check sorry, if i turn key off my wideband goes off as well as wired to ignition live. But if i turn on and dont start engine the o2 will slowly go up as it dilutes with airfrom tailpipe.
I am told engine is 241 heads lightly ported and 224r cam
Regards
gav
Gavin
Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gav
Hello,
Hope someone could have a look at my tune/log as thought i fried engine...
Doing SD logging lots and autoVE mostly up to 4000 rpm. Prior to this any getting on throttle a bit tells me that commanded jumps to 12.95 and my afr wideband shows richer than this most times so will have to lean out WOT abit????
Regards
Gavin

Looks fine to me, as you floor it you are dropping into a richer part of your fueling table {B3605} based on Temp/MAP (good thing). Note that your PE is still disabled (presumably from your autoVE sessions)

Originally Posted by Gav
Hello,
Anyway i floored it round 13.32.10 in the log 0005, my TPS only showed 78% and my wideband kept dropping (getting richer). then at 13.32.16 the car bucked and i dropped off the throttle(shi**ing myself). No knock retard was showing in log...? Can anyone explain this and the sequence of events around 13.32.16...? Did i flood it?
Regards
Gavin

You floor it, your MAP reading shows no airflow restriction (102KPA, good), PE mode kicks in and your fueling gets richer (good), and your Spark is retarded to prevent knock/give good power (good). Doubt that you could flood one of these even if you tried!

Originally Posted by Gav
Hello,

Then i stopped, reflashed and did another run and have had the highest KR in log 0006 at 14.18.43. Cant make head or tail of this though....
Please ignore the speed readings as i think my gauge wants mph and the vss throws out kmhr...??
Its not easy to find someone who can dyno with 0411 GM ecu here so i know i will have to travel quite far to get this done, all dynos near me say they would put their own ecu in it and then dyno it(£2K), so want to tune as much safely as i can.
I have also attached my last tune updated with the log 0006.
Any help greatly appreciated as come so far with this but now a bit nervous of flooring it...
Regards
Gavin
I can't see anything "odd" in your tune so far but still looking through it.
It does come up with a mismatch VIN between the Tune and the LOG file though (not sure if this makes a jot of difference to anything though).
The "buck" could be as simple as the throttle catching/jumping past the nut and you compensating with your foot - the TP moves erratically at this point so might not be so far fetched. Obvious thing would be to try and re-create it and take it from there.
Rgds
Jim
Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Gav
Launching!

Hi Jim,
Glad you saw this as was going to ask you about it Sunday if we both go. The Vin difference is just me using the new operating system. I didnt want to put my own vin in the ecu just in case it didnt recognise the kit car vin and threw a wobbler....?
I thought my pe mode was kicking in as the commanded changed...?
No worries though,
Regards
gav
Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Howdy,

Yep I'll be there on Sunday

Re the Vin number......might be better to ask on EFI Live forum (or hope .Joe Car see's this) - don't think it's an issue to change it......but I'm not sure!

Re PE kicking in, it might be but PE is set at a flatline 14.something and the ECU looks at PE and B3605 and commands the "richer of the two" (B3605 is currently nicely rich at those KPA's anyway).

Take a log on your way to the show and log a few WOT blasts, I'll bring my laptop along and we can have a look through the results.

Cheers

Jim
Old 04-26-2017, 01:44 AM
Gav
Launching!

Hi,
Thinking about it i wonder if for a split second i starved the engine of fuel...? The wideband which would be slightly slow to respond was just beginning to rise at 13.32.16, then the car jerked and i lay off the throttle......i was about 1/4 or less in the fuel tank, perhaps the swirl pot underneath the tank couldnt keep up as i have my return feed not plumbed into swirl pot but back into side of tank......my only question would be would i expect knock in this case?
I also dont have my V2 setnup for BBL yet so might try to get this working for sunday as passenger wont want my 17" laptop on his knee all the way.......
Regards
gav
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Hiya,
Do the BBX setup in V8, it's really quick - if it gets too much then I'll set it up for you on Sunday.

You kind of need to be able to repeat the problem to stand a fighting chance of fixing the problem, hence doing a few logged WOT runs will tell you if it's a one off or something to attack (that will normally mean further logging with different PIDs to identify the cause/area to address).

Before I fitted my Swirl pot I would occasionally suffer fuel starvation (typically on a track day, about halfway round a long sweeping left hand bend) when my tank was low - it was obviously exposing the pickup tube and slurping air! You don't get knock under those symptoms, but it does feel like someone momentarily turned the ignition off then back on again.

Regards

Jim
Old 04-27-2017, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Gav,

Just a thought.

As you are in SD mode and running a stock tune you won't see any knock retard, your ECU will default to the Low spark table all the time (you may still get knock, just no retard).

COS3 or 5 is needed to restore dual spark maps.

Cheers

Jim
Old 04-27-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

VIN can be changed with the EFILive scantool.

+1 run the EFILive COS3/5 to retain HO/LO adaptive spark (and functioning KR).
Old 04-29-2017, 06:57 AM
Gav
Launching!

Thanks jim, Joe.
Been having another look and my speedo limiter was reading 150 mph H0109.
As my log doesnt actually show my actual speed (according to log was doing 158mph...hah) but my electronic speedo is spot on. I had to do the fine tuning calibration initially as speedo on dash was well out, so just calibrated the speedo by gps, but the vss(and internal calculation) shows log doing totally differrent speeds, if this makes sense. i Have now upped the H0109 to 255mph to see if i can recreate.
Joe, if i alter the VIN to what i have now (the efilive will certainly not recognise it as its a kit car) will that effect the engine/program in any way?.
Jim sent you a PM and emails with mobile number.
I will eventually alter to cos3.
Regards
Gav
Old 04-29-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Gav,

The VIN does not affect how the PCM runs, it is for OBD requirements of allowing gov't entity to identify the vehicle.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Gav
Launching!

Thanks Joe,
I will alter it to my chassis VIN with the scan tool then.
Regards
Gav

Quick Reply: LS1 WOT accel fright