Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Ticket/Citation confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket/Citation confusion!

So on Easter I got pulled over for my exhaust, not stock of course, but it's not that loud. Anyways the cop told me he should not be able to hear my exhaust from 3-4 blocks away, which is understandable because its a considerably long distance but he was at the same light as me. So he gave me a citation, he said that it isn't a ticket, it would not go on my record, and I would not have to pay a fine or go to court,but here's the thing he wrote down that I owe a $120 bond and I have to go to court. I don't know what to do.. suggestions????
Old 04-26-2017, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just call or go to the police station of the town that wrote you the citation. No point in us guessing when they should be able to tell you exactly whats up.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ask him why harley davidsons are so dam loud.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't affect your driving record bc it's an equipment violation instead of moving violation.

There are two layers of the law regarding nose violations, state and local. State law is:

(625 ILCS 5/12-602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-602)
Sec. 12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P.A. 77-37.)

So technically you can't alter exhaust period. Local law varies by town. Some are by decibel some are by distance. So check the law of the town you got the ticket in and check what the actual violation says. The ticket should say what statute (state) or municipal code (local) violation he got you for and go from there whether it's worth it to dispute.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORK?
It doesn't affect your driving record bc it's an equipment violation instead of moving violation.

There are two layers of the law regarding nose violations, state and local. State law is:

(625 ILCS 5/12-602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-602)
Sec. 12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P.A. 77-37.)

So technically you can't alter exhaust period. Local law varies by town. Some are by decibel some are by distance. So check the law of the town you got the ticket in and check what the actual violation says. The ticket should say what statute (state) or municipal code (local) violation he got you for and go from there whether it's worth it to dispute.
^. This.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Call a lawyer and be done with it. You won't even have to go to court. Your going to pay one way or another. At least you won't have to waste your time at court.

Quick Reply: Ticket/Citation confusion!